Default Ford Bronco - need advice

Hi guys:

As some of you know, I'm moving to San Antonio for about 18 months for the Army. While I'm down there I would like to purchase a used car (please don't tell me to lease or buy new...I don't want a payment!)

My dream car for the longest time has been a Ford Bronco with a removeable top (how perfect for Texas.) My questions are:

-who has/ever had one
    -did you like it
    -what problems, if any? I heard there was a general problem/recall in the 80's - so what should I look out for
    -any other advice you can throw in.

I know truck brands can ruffle feathers. So, to keep the peace, I really don't want this to turn into a Ford/Dodge/Chevy/GMC ****ing contest (I hear enough of that at the station! )

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by crashbgfdchick; 05-11-2002 at 11:29 PM.
    Spec. Krista M. Aukeman, United States Army

Some day, in years to come, you will be wrestling with the great temptation, or trembling under the great sorrow of your life. But the real struggle is here, now, in these quiet weeks. Now it is being decided whether, in the day of your supreme sorrow or temptation, you shall miserably fail or gloriously conquer. Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process.
    - Phillips Brooks

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

My dad has one, says it's one of the best vehicles he has ever owned. The only problem he has is with starters, it seems to go through those pretty quick. That's about it as far as basic info.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

I used to own a 1987 Ford Bronco full size. Honestly it was the biggest piece of SH*T I have ever seen! As soon as I could get rid of it I did. That thing went through many, many starters. So many I couldn't count. I will never buy another one.
    I'd rather push my CHEVY then drive a FORD!
    The biggest thing is whatever you want...

*Mark

Forum Member

When you find the vehicle you want find a good mechanic and have them look it over for you. The hour of labor you pay them could possibly save you big. Find one that is ASE certified or someone like a Napa Auto Care center, etc. Most parts houses (stores) can give you recommendations. Loved San Antonio when I was there, GO ARMY!
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Cool

Nothing like the rush of air through your hair as you are crusin'. Love it in my JEEP! But, I was born here and am acclimated to this weather (some weather, it's either damn hot or mild!!!) Please take this into consideration as we (San Angelo, about 225 miles WNW of SA) have already had a half dozen days of 100+ degree weather. Nothing like a hard-top & A/C . If you do get an open-top, do not settle for vinyl seats, get cloth or a good seatcover. Enjoy your stay.
    Peace,
    TROLL

MembersZone Subscriber

Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

I am on my third full size Bronco. It's a 1996, the last year they were made. Drive it every day, it has 120,000 miles, and I love the short wheel base. Only problem has been that dust and moisture gets into the rear slide down window and it sticks. Can be fixed by opening tailgate, closing latch and sliding out glass. Then panel can be taken off and guts cleaned and lubed. One thing about taking off the top. Most people I have talked with say once one is removed you will never get to be water tight when put back on.

Good luck.
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

Forum Member

I currently own a '94 Bronco. I have to agree with Pete892 with the removal of the hardtop as I have heard the same thing. I have only a couple of gripes about my Bronco. #1 - The screws for the door panels keep working there way out even with Loctite and I don't go off-road, strickly Highway and 4wd only get used when it snows. #2 - The front end is a little weak the radius arm bushings do tend to wear out after a while which affects the alignment. Other then those two gripes I haven't had any major problems.
    The other posts where people have gone through starter left and right, I would ask them what they are running for an exhaust system. I have had the same problem with my Mustang when I had Headers on it. For some reason you need to make up a Heat shield or buy Header Tape to reduce the amount of heat been thrown off. It will literally cook that starter.
    You have some good advice here within these posts, I would really look at what kind of driving you plan to put this Bronco through. Bronco's are nice but with the current gas prices the way they are is it the most practical and economical. I have one other piece of advice that was given to me from a friend of the family. Stay away from the 351W (Windsor) they are real gas guzzlers.

Hope this helps.
    "The saw won't start, heh, grab the axe and start chopping"

I don't want to say I was completely unhappy with mine. I owned a 1994 Bronco that was an Eddie Bauer Edition. It was loaded, leather and all. I do not recommend leather. I did have a problem with my starter, and also my radius arm bushings. I bought the vehicle used, and thought maybe this is what happens with used cars, until I researched them. Everything people said here is true, non weather tight cap (after removal), starter problems, etc. I can't really say it was because it was a Ford, but the day I sold it, I started to have problems with the electrical system. My mechanic sure cussed that truck alot. Good luck with your decision.
    K.A. Dempsey
    fire69dawg@yahoo.com
    "If you want to make God laugh, tell him what you are doing tomorrow"

I don't want to say I was completely unhappy with mine. I owned a 1994 Bronco that was an Eddie Bauer Edition. It was loaded, leather and all. I do not recommend leather. I did have a problem with my starter, and also my radius arm bushings. The tranny also had to be rebuilt (with only 80,000 miles on it).I bought the vehicle used, and thought maybe this is what happens with used cars, until I researched them. Everything people said here is true, non weather tight cap (after removal), starter problems, etc. I can't really say it was because it was a Ford, but the day I sold it, I started to have problems with the electrical system. My mechanic sure cussed that truck alot. Good luck with your decision.
    K.A. Dempsey
    fire69dawg@yahoo.com
    "If you want to make God laugh, tell him what you are doing tomorrow"

Default pltplt

Bronco won't be worth the cost of repairs. Look into a 150 that meets your needs. A 150 excab will do everything a bronco will do without wasting $. Also bluebook resale is higher.

PD

Forum Member

Just don't get a "Bronco II", the sequel is much worse than the original!!
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Default Bronco's

I had an '89 which replaced my tricked out '86 F-150 p/u had a non injected 300 low hole 4 speed that would have been great for stump pulling... The bronco had the injected 300 and 5 speed o/d manuel tranny, I was commuting about 90 miles one way (thats why I bought the bronco) and it was a great vehicle, though would have been underpowered to tow or "really" off road with... but it was great for what I used it for... the only real trouble I had with the '89 was the floorboards under the drivers seat was under built and cracked, repairs would have been extensive to deal with so I traded it in on a 95 bronco, I still have it, I blew the motor at about 80,000 miles which was most likely my own fault... as it were, I was out of state, it went to a dealer and they dropped a new block into it over the week between xmas and new years, Like I said , I didnt mess around, I prob did a lot less damage then nessesitated a new engine, but anyway...lol thats the 8 cyl. has an automatic with overdrive, all around they were both great vehicles I wont complain... I dont get much chance to use em off road , but they were both great in the snow, on the beaches, all around great vehicles, living in New England, I never had much of a hankering to pop the top, but If I were in the south I would... I soprta hate to think what I will do for my next vehicle... OH , and I used Both of them to move too, lots of little trips but what the heck
    they have a nicer ride then the blazer too not as stiff

kpff
    Firehouse.com Guest

If I were going to remove the top on a later model Bronco I would look into a soft top from an aftermarket company. This would keep you from having to put the hard top back on in the unpredictable Texas weather. There are also toneau covers tha cover rear for a pick uplook. I have a 1977 Bronco in the process of restoration and I love it. It is a fun truck. \
    I think you'll love San Antonio.

Forum Member

I didn't have anything special on my Bronco, just the 351. It couldn't pass a gas station without stopping for a drink! That was the biggest pig ever. The starter problem wasn't due to heat. I do not know exactly what was wrong with it. Every two months or so I'd have to replace the starter. I never did take off the top, I too heard stories of it not seating right again. I tried pulling horses with the Bronco. It wouldn't, plain and simple. That was just a two horse trailer, nothing monsterous. I moved into a Chevy pickup when I got rid of that Bronco. I would go with the pickup. Go with a truck or a Jeep if you want to go around with the top off! I have a '65 CJ-5 and a '72 CJ-5, both soft tops. I love them...

*Mark

My '81 Bronco is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Don't get the
    Bronco II. If you can find an original bronco, prior to going full size, BUY IT!!!!! No 4x4 in it's class can touch the Bronco. Blazer's don't cut it. Ramchargers, well words can't describe how bad they are.

Thread Information