Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Default Structural and Wildland Firefighting Questions

How many of you structural guys also do wildland when you're off duty? Would you recommend doing wildland to other structural ff's? What are some helpful hints that could help in both areas, structural and wildland? I was just wondering because I want to be a career structural FF, and I have an interest in wildland as well.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Sr. Information Officer

Post Wildland Firefighting

First, let me describe the pre-requisites for wildland firefighting in the US. You would need at minimum, certification in the following wildland firefighting courses.

S-130 is an introductory course for firefighters providing an overview of the concepts and practices used throughout the United States in wildfire suppression. Fire shelter training and field exercises are part of this course.

S-190 includes principles of the start and spread of wildfire. Emphasis is at a basic level of fire behavior understanding. The contents emphasize safety and applying fire behavior to fire suppression techniques. The fire course Standards for Survival is incorporated into these courses.

In order to be eligible for assignment on a handcrew, for possible deployment to other states, you would also need to pass the "pack test." Info on that is at:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/fire_new/s...Info_Sheet.pdf

The agency responsible for wildfire suppression in your state is the Virginia Department of Forestry. You would need to contact an office in your county and ask about training opportunities and crew assignment information. The contact info is at:

http://www.dof.state.va.us/info/contacts.htm

Also, be aware that if you become listed as part of a 20 person handcrew....any out of state assignments would be a minimum of two weeks, and on short notice. If you are currently a career firefighter, THAT could be a problem. I'm sure someone at VADOF can answer the questions you might have. If you are ONLY interested in VA wildfire operations...they may have different minimum requirements.

I am a paid on-call firefighter for NJ Forest Fire...but am not on a career (structural)department. I can't relate to you what problems that might pose. My regular employer grants emergency leave for any firefighting duties I may be assigned to.
    Good luck...whatever you decide!
    Last edited by NJFFSA16; 05-13-2002 at 05:39 AM.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Post Structural FF vs. Wildland FF

How many of you structural guys also do wildland when you're off duty?
    I'm the other way, having recently joined the local volunteer fire company, but my "real job" is wildland fire. So I am learning the structure stuff, and hopefully leaving some of my wildland knowledge with the structure guys
    Would you recommend doing wildland to other structural ff's?
    Yes, the two are very different, and with the wildland/urban interface issue getting bigger, the cross training would be a win-win type of deal.
    What are some helpful hints that could help in both areas, structural and wildland?
    From what I have seen in the fire service, the best thing would be to be willing to learn the very different styles of firefighting.
    I was just wondering because I want to be a career structural FF, and I have an interest in wildland as well.
    While you are waiting on getting on as a structure FF, come work for the Feds (U.S.Forest Service, Bureau of Land Mangement, National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service are the main players). The main requirements are that you are 18 years of age or older and be able to pass the pack test. If you work as summer hire you will be given the courses and be earning a paycheck. You can work on a handcrew, or engines, and possibly even helitack. It's not too late if you are interested, as openings are out there, especially if you aren't picky about where you are willing to work. Who knows, you may like it so much you become a wildland FF full time Check out www.wildlandfire.com as it's a rather comprehensive board run by Wildland FF's, for Wildland FF's.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Sr. Information Officer

Default Wildland/Urban Interface

Check out http://www.firewise.org

Some interesting stuff available there, regarding wildland/urban interface.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

I was a full time Wildland Guy for almost 13 years. I converted and became a full time City Slug, I have kept my wildland skills up by working on my days off for Wildland Agencies, it has been hard to work out though, due to such different sceduals that are required. I have not done the Wildland thing for a couple of years now, buyt plan on getting back inot the hot zone soon enough.
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

Default Re: Structural and Wildland Firefighting Questions

Originally posted by WFDjr1
    I was just wondering because I want to be a career structural FF, and I have an interest in wildland as well.
    Well me , myself and Irene I have a full time Job , Am a Volunteer Firefighter , and am on a incorprated (SP) Volunteer Wildland crew where I am in Pa. How do I ever find time for the little things in life ?? I Dunno

Thread Information