Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question what rig do you ride on?

What rig does your Dept. let you ride on. We are usually assinged to heavy rescue, our departments bussiest rig. we also ride Our bussiest engine company. What Does your department let explorers ride on? and what are your duties once on scene?

Forum Member

Some ride on the engine, some ride on the heavy. It all really matters who wants to ride on what, and most importantly... where are there seats? Me. I 99% of the time aam riding in the front seat of our heavy with the safety officer. He drivers, I take care of the lights and sirens and such and he just drives. I also get the times on the way on the paperwork.

Once we arrive on scene we are all supposed to go to the rescue and await and assignment and from there we are dispatched. However, like me, I normally work with R7, our rescue, filling bottles, documenting bottles, running the gernertor that kinda stuff. Also, between me and the safety officer we have the report done normally within 5 minutes of us arriving on scene except damage estimates and such. It all really just depends on your departments SOG's and such and I am sure they have researched it through the law and such. SO just do what they ask, and 5X more.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Cool

we can ride on everything except for ambulances, which i dont have a problem with
    IACOJ

we can ride on any truck that is going out we arnt restricted to ride certain trucks.
    Jeff Gurski

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

I am allowed to ride anything. Usually if we get a call, I go to the station and hop on the salvage truck though, because the engines leave pretty quick.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Well, i like to ride in the front of our engine, but a lot of the times, i get stuck in the back of our Rescue by myself. Which kinda sucks when there is no one to talk to or anything. But...it gets me to the scene.
    Visit us at http://www.randolphfire.org

Cool

At my station we have an engine and a quint. Usually I hop on which ever is dipatched first.
    Josh McCray
    Explorer Post 2205
    http://explorers2205.s5.com

~Let's Roll!~
    ~Firefighters: We interfer with natural selection ~
    ~Mach 3 with the windows down and our hair on fire! ~

Forum Member

For Maintance, Training, Parades and any other special detail requireing more than one piece of equipment I am assigned to our New Seagrave pumper(Engine 5). For calls or something else that requires a certain truck i ride on anything that there is an open seat. This goes for all juniors on my department. Most of the time I'm with the Chief so I get to ride in his cruiser.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Forum Member

i cant ride whatever i want. at the scene i can do almost anything except go into a burning building. i guess i should say i cant go on the fire floor.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

I usually try and ride at Rescue 16, and Rescue 40. Mind you, these aren't heavy rescues, just ambulances to all you conservative FD's out there On calls, I do vitals (BP, Resps, Pulse, Sa02 etc), attach the Lifepak & do 12 lead EKG's, set up IV's, give 02. Only things I don't do are actually start the IV and intubate. On fire calls I help the D/O of whichever supression with hose/fans etc. When we're at car accidents that require extrication... I'll either stay with the patient while one of the F/F's is getting out the jaws, or I'll help set up the jaws on my truck.
    Justin
    VP/Webmaster/EMT-B
    MDFR Post #1403

Forum Member

Will be riding any of the rigs here whenever I can
    Texas DSHS EMT-B, NREMT-B

We can only ride our rescue (6-1) or the ambulance (7-1), Only when it is NOT the first truck out or the ambulance will be needed for transport. So in other words... you have to get lucky We can also, if asked by the head of the truck, we can hop on their rig.
    9/11 FDNY NYPD We will never forget you. Thank you for protecting us.

Default anything

i can ride on anything,unless one of the PCF's kick me off,but the Explorers at my post can ride on whatever they get on,long as a firefighter doesn't tell em to get off.
    No longer an Explorer!!! WOO HOO!

AOL Instant Messenger: aranger00

Future Firefighters Org. & IACOJ Explorers rock!

Forum Member

As a former instructor to our Explorers/Recruits , our policy was that if there was room on the Engine or Truck companies and with the officer/senior mans approval they could ride along..EXCEPT for reported building fires or mutual-aid assignments..Then they could only ride the heavy Rescue, this being on initial attack the chief wanted full crews of jakes...As a senior man on an engine, i took a recruit to a working fire and brought him with me because we were short handed, Only thing that saved me from the chief was the rookie was due to graduate in a week and my words at the time was No time like now..dress up...tank up and lets go !!

Rest in peace: Paul, Jerry, Jay, Joe, Tim and Tom
    12/3/99 Res1cuE Eng3inE Lad2deR

we can ride on whatever has a seat open, as long as the call isn't IDLH. i normally take the jumpseat on the passenger side of our engine, cos traditionally our explorer engineer wants the driver's side cos the pump panel is on that side i've ridden on our engine, rescue squad, and water tender, all in one day. so it really matters on open seatage.
    JC Makusztak
    Explorer Lieutenant/Firefighter Trainee
    San Bernardino County Fire Dept.
    Station 20, Lytle Creek

I can rid on whatever engine i can get to. the only hard part for me is getting there in time because half of the department lives within 500 yards of the firehouse.

Once we get on scene i can do everything except go into a burning building. We have ot have firefighter 1 class before a junior in our dept. to go in a house.
    Burgess Wills
    Firefighter/EMT
    Windsor Vol. Fire Department
    Chuckatuck Vol. Fire Department

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

My Company lets Juniors fill in the remaining spots on the engines. If a spot is open on the first engine out, a junior will fill it if no other certified guys are present. A junior can sit in the Officers seat if he is the only one left at the station with another engineer or if he is the junior with the longest service time present. The only way a junior could possibly ride on our rescue is if the whole stations member pool arrives for the call which never happens with us. (We have 17 members, 5 are juniors, and 1 certified never makes calls) I usually make the 2nd engine out because i'm 4th on junior service time and we get 6 people to an engine, but i'm not complaining.

Thread Information