Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Of Azaleas, deck guns, lollipops and Granny's wig.....

As it's parade season again, I'm drawn to remember some of the less-than-flattering events that have scarred our image over the years. For example:

The department that playfully squirted folks along the street with Indian Cans...until the family on the front porch fired back with a garden hose. This quickly escalated to the point the engine was put into pump gear and Granny was blasted off the front porch into the azaleas with a deck gun!! Needless to say the whole event was caught on tape and made the six o'clock news. I think some lawyers were involved later.

---------------------------OR-------------------------------

The junior firefighters that thought it'd be cool to follow the advice on the wrapper of the "Dum-Dum" lollipops and chucked them as hard as they possibly could at youngsters along the parade route...leaving a mile or two of welts and ******ed off parents!! "Mommy,Mommy...that ba$@rd just chipped my tooth!!

--------------------------OR---------------------------------

Post parade activities involving a dance club and a thermal imager...I'll leave the rest to your imaginations.

Have fun...but don't get too carried away out there. It's our reputation at stake.

Stay Back -- "Image Cop"
    Last edited by StayBack500FT; 05-13-2002 at 01:48 PM.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

StayBack don't forget:
    - those people that mean well by trying to give you beers, but just infront of cameras or crowds
    - the people that get on you for smoking cigars, damn health nuts
    -seeing the girl you hooked up w/ the year before and spending the rest of the day avoiding her
    -the chinese fire drills
    -the sirens cutting out @ the exact moment that you were yelling to the other guys on the truck to check out the rack on the girl @ 4 oclock and knowing you've been busted
    or
    - almost causing an international incident by almost assualting the band from Canada that you found trying to steal the falgs off your truck as well as your New Yorker

GOD I LOVE PARADE SEASON
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Dang Canucks anyhow!

E6511

Further to yelling at the guys on the other truck to check out the blonde @ 4 oclock, doesn't it suck when someone leans on the PA mic while you are doing it and it overrides the siren... RRRRRRRRRR "hey, check out that blonde... what the f#ck, who has the mic on...." RRRRRR

Stayback, you got a problem with us canucks?
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Stayback, apparently you guys have way more fun during parades that we do out this way. Apart from FF26's comment about the PA overriding the siren.

About Granny being shot of the porch by the deck gun: hmmmm would love to have seen that on Funniest Home Video, apart from knowing that it wouldn't get quite the good PR that maybe something else might have done. News cameras just have no sense of humour. The thing with the TIC camera, ya, I don't think there needs be much more said, other than I wish I had thought of that when I was in Dubai with the navy back in Feb....

Oh and Shammrock of course there is the "flag stealing incident". While you were so busy trying to keep your flags, you forgot to remember to watch out for the girl you hooked up with last year, and she shows you a present that took 9 months to be "delivered".... ooooopppppsss. But other than that, I hope you guys have a safe Parade Season. Stay Frosty.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Canucks?? Shania's all good...that skater (Jamie Sal-eh wasn't it?)was pretty good lookin' too. The whole metric thing still bugs me though.

FF26--LMAO!!!

E6511

I don't know if Malahat Two-7 will remember this, but we had ourselves a little miss-hap with an overly festive Santa Clause yelling "Send out your women!" and what not on a seemingly empty rural turn-a-round.

Needless to say, he isn't allowed to play Santa anymore.. and we are actually thinking about pulling him from the Santa run completely.. This last year he was driving and decided to take off to the next house while Santa (the real one this time) was only have in the vehicle.. he fell out and had to run beside the truck and jump in the open door..

Forum Member

I still think a massage parlor upstairs would be an ideal way to finance a VFD, especially if you already have individual bunkrooms.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Talking

Now, I think that Grit has the right idea. RLMFAO!!! I know that someone will correct me if I have this wrong or out of context, but seems to me an American station did something similar, using topless dancers or stripers or something like that as a fund raiser for budget money. Just over a year ago, I think....

And ya, 26, I do remember the less than politically correct Santa.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 05-13-2002 at 04:13 PM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Hey Malahat, thanx for scaring the hell out of me! I am now knocking on wood and dowing beer to calm my nerves And a reminder to all, never go into an unknown enviroment w/o full PPE (u know what i mean)
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"

Forum Member

I know of one incident where two engineers were taking an engine to a neighboring town for a parade. They did a complete inspection of the engine before leaving and found the oil in the primer tank low. They filled the tank to the top with the proper oil and went to the parade. They missed the line about 3/4 the way up the tank that was the full mark.

They arrived at the parade without incident and got in line. About half way through the parade, they noticed more people seemed to be waving and pointing at them. Some were yelling. The driver finally looked in the mirror and saw smoke and flames coming from the pump panel. The hot temperature of the day plus the heat of the exhaust had overflowed the tank onto the exhaust pipe and set it on fire. The engine from a neighboring department that was behind them extinguished the fire before any serious damage was done.

Needless to say, it took a while to live that one down.

We used to have a 1976 Dodge Ram, 1 ton, Mini-pumper... thing was a POS. The engine caught fire on its way into the shop, the Deputy Chief (now the Chief) was driving...

He says he had no choice but to put it out... being in full gear, driving a fire truck... sorta hard to explain how the vehicle was lost in a fire... he shoulda let the thing burn... Oh well, we got a new 99' Ford F-350 now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Shammrock

"yelling to the other guys on the truck to check out the rack on the girl @ 4 oclock and knowing you've been busted "

That's ok. I do my share of checking you out too. But I would be the redhead you missed as you were looking at the blonde.

Thanks guys. This one made my day. You are very funny.

Stay safe with all those parades coming up.

Superchef- i never said anything about blondes. redheads are just as equal in beauty in my mind so i probably wouldnt have missed ya
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"

MembersZone Subscriber

Shammrock
    My apologies for misreading your post. And thank you for the compliment. I'll put an extra dessert in for you.

Forum Member

Default A similar story........are we all alike?

In Harwich there is a parade every year to celebrate the Cranberry Harvest. This parade used to run right past our headquarters station. We used to own a 1940-something ALF bathtub, standard shift. One of the "founding" families (founding by virtue that they had the most living relatives on the department) lived 2 houses from the station. Do you know how easy it is to put a standard shift truck in pump while it is moving? yup, very easy. Do you know that with a little time you can "aim" the gun at front porch height?

You got it. Slow down, neutral, pump gear, clutch out.......blurp...one big shot of H20....and you never even have to stop.

Needless to say it wasn't well received. Or ever repeated for that matter.

Dave

Originally posted by Grit
    I still think a massage parlor upstairs would be an ideal way to finance a VFD, especially if you already have individual bunkrooms.
    I dunno Grit...I wouldn't put that past sum-o-ya'll Pretty Goofy County guys.... And all these years I wondered what happened to Company 6...

Forum Member

Truro, you think I was kidding?

Hey Chef, this is as good a place as any to ask how the romance with UNION is going?

We have always found the TIC to be a great medical tool.... Helps make sure there is no leaking silicon....Just doesnt work as well on saline...

SuperChef you can rest assured the guys in my company would not miss a RedHead

Default What about the boy scouts?

I remember when I was in boy scouts and we were in a parade behind a couple engines. We decided it was time to take over the truck and about 3/4 way through the parade we mobbed the truck. We rode the rest of the way Most fun I ever had in a parade!

PD

Thread Information