Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Forum Member

WOW......Well all i have to say is, as a firefighter who was at the Worcester Warehouse Fire the accounts of that incident are right on the money....I have to say you have done an AWESOME job on your report of the traditions of firefighters and the meanings...I would say if you didnt get an A on this paper, bring your professor with you on a call to expirence and see OUR TRADITIONS !!....Congrats on a great paper and good luck !!!

*** Rest in Peace Tom, Tim, Paul, Jerry, Jay and Joe ***
    Lad2deR...Res1cuE....Eng3inE
    5-5-5-5 12/3/99

Forum Member

Default Find a focus.....

When I hear the phrase "the traditions of the fire service" I am apt to wonder what is specifically referred to. Is it the history of the men and apparatus that came before, the extra alarm fires that were fought, the traditions of being a member of a particular firehouse or department,what? If FireExplorer 13 doesn't narrow his focus, his paper could suffer. Many departments have gotten away from making new members aware of history and tradition, because many instructors themselves are not aware of it. How can a guy with 3-4 years on the job(and now an instructor) be aware of any tradition? I realize the fire service needs to look forward, but it also needs to look back, and recapture some of the camaraderie and spirit that has been lost. Far too often personnel are hired who look on the fire department as a second job, and are more worried about whether they'll get enough sleep that night on duty to go and pound nails or pour concrete or do whatever they do on their "real" job.

Forum Member

Talking

good paper tim
    what you said was right on.
    if i can say one thing when you say that a firefighters helmet says a lot about that firefighter you are right but you might want to add that a firefighter ads stickers and picturs and items like wedges and light to there helmets.
    i am putting a pic of my family in mine so i remember what i have to come home for.
    it gives a little more to fight for if you know what i mean
    goo job.
    2197 10-8
    aka Bradley Henderson
    2197 10-8<br />stay safe have fun stay healthy<br />
    nc firefighter/emt-d
    RFB-FTM

Tradition? you want tradition, how about pea soup on Saturdays and Turkey on Sundays and heaven help anyone who tries to vary the menu.

Forum Member

Default Tradition

A tradition in the London Fire Service, one that I have been victim of and partaken in--this is only as far as I can make out done by Paid/Career Firefighters--on the last night duty before transferring to new Station/Watch/ or Promotion step up-The victim is usually divested of all clothes and thrown out of the Station before change of watch anywhere between0500 @0900hrs. This causes much hilarity amongst London commuters,waiting for buses, or driving to work---most effective in the winter months!! This was very popular, certainly up untill 1981, before the thought police and female members got into "control mode"
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Forum Member

^bump^
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Forum Member

Um, I think whoever invented fishbowl & race car driver helmets should be shot That's one tradition that got lost somewhere, but seems most of us around here have all the traditional helmets again. Maybe they'll bring back cab-over Fords & gumball lights
    Heyyyyy, What's Up There! (Frank Rizzo-Jerky Boys)

Forum Member

You could talk about how fire prevention/education has progressed over the years.. starting back in 872 with the Norman word couvre feu.. meaning "cover fire" and is now know as "curfew"! I have more information about this if you'd like.. I've taken these classes.. b-o-r-i-n-g!

Forum Member

I might possibly look into this
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Forum Member

Others:
    What the first hose was actually made out of (has to do with an animal!).
    First fire hydrants. (fire plugs)

Forum Member

Holy dead thread resurrection, Batman!

The explorer who posted this has long since moved onto college if I remember correctly! LOL

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

You can go back to Ben Franklin:

1736 Founds the Union Fire Company in Philadelphia

http://www.firefightersrealstories.com/volunteer.html
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

I know the original poster has graduated from college, gotten married and has 2.34 kids, a dog and a house in the country .... but what the hell ..I'll post one anyway ...

A lot of departments still require thier firefighters to wash the tires after they take a truck out .... this tradition dates from horse-drawn days when they had to wash the horses**t of the wheels each time they left the station, hence the modern day term "washing the wheels".

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Originally posted by LaFireEducator
    I know the original poster has graduated from college, gotten married and has 2.34 kids, a dog and a house in the country .... but what the hell ..I'll post one anyway ...

A lot of departments still require thier firefighters to wash the tires after they take a truck out .... this tradition dates from horse-drawn days when they had to wash the horses**t of the wheels each time they left the station, hence the modern day term "washing the wheels".
    I've heard of washing the tires when you get back from a run, but that's not the reason I heard (although that might also be wise). The reason I got was that back when they had horse-drawn apparatus, those rigs had wooden wheels, like traditional wagon wheels. If you didn't wet the wood periodically, it would dry out and be prone to shrinkage and cracking, then the spokes would get loose, the steel hoop "tires" might fall off, etc. So it was mainly a maintenance item for the wooden wheels.

I submit to you this tiny bit of trivia as evidence that I really need to get a life...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

I'm still a young firefighter only 3 yrs with CCFD.about the crossed ladders at a LODD funeral. Like to know more about that. i'm 3rd Gen
    of my Famley, My grandpa,my dad and Me. I'm trying to teach my 10 mo old little girl maybe too earily-- I started young

Early Adopter

Originally posted by bfpd36
    One that I learned from a "crusty old jake", is why we still send a unit in on false alarms. He told me that they use the excuse that it may be the arsonist calling the alarm in as false so the fire gets a better hold.
    How do you know it's false unless you respond?

Forum Member

FF41230...concerning your e-mail...after reading my original post it's clear what you were asking about, but that was website that I put up basically just for my presentation, which was over 3 years ago now...it is no long up.

A good bit of my information for the paper that I did came from articles on The American Fire Service that originally appeared in the print version of Firehouse Magazine, but are now on this site. Read anything you can get your hands on that has been written by Paul Hashagen.
    Last edited by Co11FireGal; 03-25-2005 at 10:24 PM.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

Alright thanks. Yeah I got your email but don't think I replied to it. I went to that website. It has alot of good info on it that I will use. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDude View Post
    Um, I think whoever invented fishbowl & race car driver helmets should be shot That's one tradition that got lost somewhere, but seems most of us around here have all the traditional helmets again. Maybe they'll bring back cab-over Fords & gumball lights
    I don't know about the the race car style helmets, but I think the fishbowl helmets are cheaper the manufacture, thus cheaper for a fire department to purchase. It's a money thing.

For me? Traditional all the way!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information