MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Default Racial Controversy in Chicago FD

I have just read with interest and outrage the story on the main page
    of the Firehouse website. In Chicago, the black firefighters want to sever ties with Local 2 IAFF, the recognized bargaining unit for the Chicago Fire Dept. It seems that they do not feel that their needs are not being addressed, and won't be due to the election of a new union president. I am not racist, however I have posted many times that affirmative action is destroying the fabric of the fire service because the people who legitimately earn the jobs are passed over in favor of people who are selected to fill quotas. This is one of the main complaints of the protesting firefighters. That the affirmative action clause in the contract is being ignored by the city and the Local. As far as the indiscretion of the new president, while wearing
    a "black" face maybe a little extreme, he was protesting an unjust
    practice. I don't agree with it and it happened 15 yrs. ago, so they should give the man a try. To create a separatist environment within the CFD is not the answer.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

I see a lot of issues here.

1. A union determined to serve its members
    2. Firefighters of one particular ethnicity standing up for themselves
    3. Government bureaucracy

And it goes something like this...

#3 wants to help #2, so it creates more #3 and angers #1. What should have happened is that #3 should have spent a heck of a lot more time doing something meaningful to help #2 so that #2 and #1 could both be happy.

In other words, instead of the quick-fix (from #3's perspective) of paperwork affirmative action, the city needed to have spent a lot of time, effort, and yes, money trying to recruit people of both genders and of every ethnicity, WITHOUT stopping when they reached parity nor being considered a failure when they didn't.

They needed to hit the high schools, churches, youth services, and so forth with a pitch to recruit the best young people to be firefighters. Instead, they sent a piece of paper to the FD command and said, "Hire this many African-Americans, this many Hispanic, this many women..." Short cut: Lower standards so that the applicants who come in passively can be accepted. Correct cut: Recruit better and get better applicants.

Forum Member

Once again, Jesse Jackson is sticking his nose into something he knows nothing about. I beleive that he and Al Sharpton and the rest of the so called "civil rights activists" (as long as African Americans are the only ones receiving the rights...and that is the most racist attitude of all!) are the biggest cause of this rift. These mutts, who wear Armani suits, ride around in chauferred limousines,followed by an entourage of their cohorts and appear to have no "real" income have been telling the African American community that they are being held back because of their race.

Pure bovine scatology. Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime. Jesse and Al have all the fish they need, but they want everyone else to give up some their fish so a few can have fish without earning it.

You want a job in the fire service? Don't wait for someone to hand it to you just because you feel that you are being discriminated against. Get off your duff and go get an application. Don't wait for someone to go and beg you to fill out the application. Take the entrance exam, pass it. Take the CPAT, pass it. Pass the physical and psychological exam, pass it. get hired. Go to the Academy, learn how to be a firefighter. You want to get promoted? Do what countless others have done...invest hundereds of dollars in the books, take a course, spend countless numbers of hours studying for the promotional exam.

Those who want to leave Local 2 because they feel that they are not being given preferential treatment or feel that the leadership is racist can get in line behind Jesse and the rest of the mutts. They will never know what true brotherhood is about.

Holy bullscat! That's more than 3 cents worth!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Gonzo, thats must mean that you are ready for another promotion.

BTW, I completely agree. If you want it, be ready to earn it! And that applies to everyone.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

didn't jesse jackson have a kid with a teenage girl? if he did(i think it was on the news) than at least he doesn't discriminate based on age.

Thumbs down

Gotta agree with everyone here....

What ever happened to hiring the best QUALIFIED person for the job?
    Last edited by dmsmith; 05-14-2002 at 09:38 PM.
    Guinness....a meal in a can!
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Forum Member

I havent read all the gripes of the minority's and why they want to break from Local #2 But for them to say its because they arent being given fair treatment and opportunities for promotion thats a buch of BS. I have a personal friend who is on the Capt list which is soon to expire if it ahsnt already he was high on the list in double digits, but he is going to die on the vine why? Because there are no more minorities on the list to pull from. He has been by-passed numerous times all the way down to near 500 on the list. If the promotion was based on the test and not some other qualification he wouldve been a captian a year and a half ago. So for the minorities to say they arent getting fair treatment is completely outrageous when whites are actively discriminated against on promotional tests.

Forum Member

Default Understanding What the Local is for

This is a topic very near and dear to the hearts of my own local.
    120 members of an ethnic association dropped out of our local citing racial inequities. Problem is, the union is not here to handle racial problems with the employer, that is up to the EEO office. The union has one responsibility to its members, to represent the members to the city in contract negotiations and watch-dog the resulting agreement. Any other functions are designed to improve the union's ability to negotiate said contract.
    Very simple.
    See You At The Big One

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Help me out here...

While we're on the subject of those two scumbags, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, can somebody please tell me how a pastor legitimately becomes a multi-millionaire? Does anyone else have a problem with this? What about their followers? Don't they wonder about that? I just don't get it.
    Living the dream...

I read this part of the article-

"We're trying to start the process to create our own union. We don't think McNally will step down," he said. "This will be a long process and we are working to get blacks together with Hispanics and women."

I bet if you went to work on Thursday and stated that you wanted to form a "white only" union you would probably be walking down the road to working in fast food, etc.

If you follow the logic we would be back to "whites only" in the front left of the bus. "Hispanics" in the middle right section, etc. While the argument they present may well be valid too many I am sure it fuels racism in others. If there can't be a "white only" or "Hispanic only" union then there probably shouldn’t be a "Blacks only" union either. Better yet, why the hell would you want a union for each and every race/ethnicity? The "French, Irish, Australian local 3886" Give me a break. Racism goes both ways in my opinion and if I had brought a “all white union” you would be saying I was racist and a nazi or something. Get real

Forum Member

Tailboard-

The questions you ask are answered in SHAKEDOWN: Exposing the Real Jesse Jackson.

http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/books...sbn=0895261650

MembersZone Subscriber
    The southern shore of beautiful Lake Michigan

Default OHHHH YEAAAHH it goes both ways

Oh man,

Please try to walk a mile in my shoes.

Because the "Racist JACKBOOT" appears to be on the "other foot"... and planted firmly on the back of my neck!

I would like to type more.....but I have to go to work....maybe Thurs.
    FTM-PTB
    trk4

AMEN Capt Gonzo! I think I see another "Jackson Shakedown" coming, and I'm sure the "reverend" is already smelling the payoff. Must be time for Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton to put a little more cash into their collective "offering plates". With Jackson's successful shakedown record, this one will probably work too. So many other companies/entities chose to pay off Jackson's Rainbow/PUSH coalition, rather than face the race card.

Forum Member

Default UGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Hiring people on thier skin pigmentation or ethnic dna and passing over highly qualified persons is how brothers get killed and injured. Again, for the second time this week, I have to go to my closet and get my bang stick, flea collar and muzzle.

The American fire service does not owe anyone anything, when will people learn the fact that you must earn your place, work hard to maintain it, and be fully commited to it to move up.
    I.A.C.O.J IRISH TATTOOED-HOOLIGAN

DETROIT FIRE FIGHTER AND PROUD!

MembersZone Subscriber

McCann cited a provision in the union contract that he said calls for significant percentage increases in minority employees. The city hasn't complied, McCann said, and the union hasn't fought for the increases.

I feel the same way about affirmative action as most of the people responding on this thread. However, if the above quote is true, and their is such a provision in the contract, and it is deemed not to be illegal. Then I think black members of local 2 have a legitimate beef. I think the leadership of local 2 must either reopen the contract and negotiate it out, or enforce it.
    DKK
    Truck Man
    APFD
    IAFF Local 384:

"Above all, an assignment to a truck company should be considered a promotion."

Chief John W. Mittendorf-1998

Forum Member

XXX McCann cited a provision in the union contract that he said calls for significant percentage increases in minority employees. The city hasn't complied, McCann said, and the union hasn't fought for the increases. XXX

Forum Member

XXX McCann cited a provision in the union contract that he said calls for significant percentage increases in minority employees. The city hasn't complied, McCann said, and the union hasn't fought for the increases XXX > This is one of the reasons why L-344 has always chosen not to get involved with the hiring practices of the city. Turned out to be an excellent decision. I demand to be put on the Heinz 57 list.

Forum Member

I could go on and on about what the REAL agenda of Capt. Ezra McCann is. But to put it simply, there are many black firefighters on the C.F.D. who DO NOT agree with him. Remember this, he was the one who released the "INFAMOUS FIREHOUSE VIDEO" to the media, SEVEN YEARS after the fact.

You would think that with all that is going on in the fire service today that firefighters would not want to create this image. I was raised that if you did not get what you want then you try harder and do what it takes to get it. I guess that they were raised to cry when they dont. All I hope is that they are not on my crew, they may not be qualified.
    Firefighter/NREMT-B/Hazmat Tech
    To the Lord Jesus Christ: Thanks for providing a career where we can make a difference.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Thanks!

Originally posted by CollegeBuff
    Tailboard-

The questions you ask are answered in SHAKEDOWN: Exposing the Real Jesse Jackson.

http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/books...sbn=0895261650
    Thanks for the link, CollegeBuff.

I've read some things about Jesse that were exerpts from that book, like his claim that he held the dying Dr. Martin Luther King in his arms, but eyewitnesses have stated that he was never even there!

He is the true definition of a mutt!
    Living the dream...

Forum Member

Default A few notes on the struggle....

For the record, Captain McCann was the company commander of Engine Co. 100, and although he was not the captain at the time the tape was shot, he brought the tape to light after STEALING, yes, that's right,STEALING the tape from a member's locker. And as for the City of Chicago's attempt at minority recruitment, the last entry-level exam for firefighter was in 1995. And prior to that, 1985. Due to federal consent orders regarding discriminitation, the city had to jerry rig the 1985 test. Example-one,white,one black, and one hispanic test candidate. Each misses one question on the 50 question written(which at the time, only allowed you to take the physical--it counted NOTHING-ZIP-ZERO-NADA)--the white candidate received a score of 48.7, the Hispanic candidate received a score of 49.3, and the black candidate, due to race-norming, received a score of 50.2! This still does not prevent the bottom of the list from being loaded with minorities. By 1993-94, candidates are coming into the Fire ACademy who cannot read,write, or pass FF II. So the City spends 5.5 million dollars on a new test written by an African American testing consultant. 36,000 people sign up to take the test, and the City gives "well-qualified" status to anyone scoring 88 or better. Problem is, there are only about 1,900 people in that elite group. Worse yet, about 1,700 of these are white males. So now, the City, WITHOUT exhausting all of the well qualified candidates(for they do NOT hire in rank order, like everywhere else,)has dipped into the "qualified" portion of the list to start finding minorities. So the citizens,aren't necessarily getting the most qualified firefighting and EMS help, they're getting what looks good on a pie chart. And they've gerrymandered testing results on the police side as well. To get the requisite minority mix they wanted on a recent police exam, they lowered the well-qualified score to 82. Yep, thanks, Richie. And you wonder why the police and fire services of the City can't stand you...

Thumbs down Worthless Loads!!!!!

As long as the legal system keeps protecting these loads that think they are “ENTITLED” to something without working for it, and then you have the even bigger loads like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton who make their money off of exploiting it, this crap will never end!

Peace!
    Last edited by Jam1902; 05-17-2002 at 09:36 AM.

Unhappy American History X

Go out tonite and rent the movie AMERICAN HISTORY X. It is kind of graphic but probably not worse than a car accident. It shows the father who is shot while on a fire call, talking about how two people who did worse on their tests than people that did good got jobs because they were filling minority quotas. JUst go watch it it really gets down to the point
    What are the irons? Is that a Hillside thing?

Thread Information