Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Fireground Operations

besides operating the pump what other duties does the engineer have on the fireground on your department? here we operate the pump, are accountability officer, get the fan and extra tools to the door, estiblish water supply and designate operations for oncamming companies until another officer arrives. there is alot to be done and being first on keeps the engineer very busy since we run a 3 man engine and the next company is 6-10 minutes behind us the engineer is in a command role also until a formal incident command can be estiblished. does under staffing plague you department? on a one alarm fire we get 4 engines and 1 truck with 12 firefighters and it takes close to 15 minutes to fill the assignment.
    I PROVIDE A NAMELESS FACELESS SERVICE TO A COMMUNITY THAT RARELY KNOWS HOW MUCH THEY NEED ME IF I AM CALLED FROM A SOUND SLEEP TO SACRIFICE MY LIFE TRYING TO SAVE THE PROPERTY OR LIFE OF SOMEONE I DO NOT KNOW I WILL DO SO WITHOUT REGRET
    From the book "The Heart Behind The Hero" from Jon Mc Duffie in memory of Joe Dupee LAFD

Where do you work again...and you say you only have how many per shift? Didn't something bad happen there a few years ago? Oh yeah, one more question, what about 2in 2out?
    I would...but no!

We are only responsible for pumping and secring a water supply and usually the second in engine company assists with that. To put other duties on the pump operator's shoulder isnt wise in my view. He has the most important job on the fireground. The guys inside put out the fire but without water they cant do much. Not all, but on some fires its all you can do to pump and keep on top of everything on a good worker.

hey baker did you use to volunteer in burleson?
    I PROVIDE A NAMELESS FACELESS SERVICE TO A COMMUNITY THAT RARELY KNOWS HOW MUCH THEY NEED ME IF I AM CALLED FROM A SOUND SLEEP TO SACRIFICE MY LIFE TRYING TO SAVE THE PROPERTY OR LIFE OF SOMEONE I DO NOT KNOW I WILL DO SO WITHOUT REGRET
    From the book "The Heart Behind The Hero" from Jon Mc Duffie in memory of Joe Dupee LAFD

Nah, I've only been a volunteer at Keene.

By the way, what I meant to add to my post is, I feel for you brothers. I would have thought yours would be one of the cities that would increase staffing for sure. I know how hard it is to work undermanned like you guys do with backup so far away.

Stay Safe up there.
    I would...but no!

getting water is good.....electricity is also appreciated, don't forget to light the place up. First due engineer is a bad choice for accountibility, to much other stuff going on. Staffing, that's funny, I work on a two man engine, something I thought only the privates did.

Default Look at IMS

Your engineer should be just that, Engineer. They should be in charge of everything that happens in and around that engine including scene lighting and water supply. If you investigate IMS, as taught by the NFA, you will find that your company officer, even though he is interior can establish and carry IC until relived by another officer / chief. If your driver is doing all those things then he isn't watching the pump and this is a bad thing. IF I am interior and the pressure beigns to drop I like knowing my engineer is right on top of it and notices it then, not after I radio him and let him know I have a problem.
    celer et audax

41Truck
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Chauffeur Duties

In my department the Engine Company Chauffeur/MPO (Motor Pump Operator) is responsible for proper positioning of the apparatus (making room for the ladder company) and securing a water source. Other duties may include assistance with first-aid. That's pretty much it. No matter what due at an incident the ECC's responsibility remains the same.

Though every fireman is trained to operate the pump and apparatus the Chauffeur position is assigned to senior members and requires special training in apparatus and pump operations.

With our limited staffing, my duties include : operation of the pump, setting up ventilation, establishing a water supply, initial incident command, pulling additional lines, exposure protection, and whatever else needs to be done. Is it wrong? sure....but when your staffing is limited you learn to manage with what you got.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Sounds like we all run similar. If first in I am responsible for placement (both of our front line units have aireal capabilities so it makes this job easier), pump operation, water supply, lighting the scene up, preparing elevated stream in case it is needed, and ensuring my guys have the tools from the truck ready for them when they need them. If second in I usually am assigned to assist the engineer of the the first in with all the same tasks and usually assist with accountability.

On most residential fires around here the first 5 to 10 minutes are extremely busy for the engineer, but after that it slows down and you can assist with minor tasks (i.e.: changing out bottles, placing the fans, placing a ladder to the front of the house) as long as you remember your primary responsiblity is watching that pump and your water supply.
    Firefighter/Paramedic Ron Sanders
    Midvale Fire Department
    Medic Ambulance 22 - A Platoon

Firefighters, Walking where the Devil Danced!

This is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

Personal Website: http://RonSanders.Biz Check it Out!

Thread Information