Thread: Brotherhood

Lightbulb Brotherhood

The Marines teach brotherhood at Paris Island and San Diego, shouldn’t we?

Seems like lately at my company people are all too willing to do what ever pleases them the most. To me one of the most important things is brotherhood, maybe to some that may sound silly or unimportant, but to me knowing that the person riding next to me has my back no matter what, even if we just had a major disagreement is important to me. I know that people bicker and fight, even brothers.

I was just thinking, at boot for the Marines the main thing they learn is that no matter where you are you have every Marine as your brother. Maybe this is something that we should teach, how to treat a fellow brother.

Now visiting a firehouse not too long ago I saw a sense of brotherhood in the fire service that I have not seen In a very long time, and it made me sad to see once I returned home that it isn't as common here.

I have been on leave from my company for about two months now, honestly when I took the leave I didn’t know why I did, but I think I am starting to figure it out. When I do go back, I hope that I will be returning to a family, and not the soulless building that just houses red rigs.

truckie,
    The brotherhood of our profession is exactly why I joined. My father had been a firefighter since long before I was born. A few years ago, he fell quite ill. He was in the hospital for many months. But, mysteriously, every day i came home from school, our lawn was always mowed, there was always lavish dinners and snacks, and everything else was taken care of even though my mother worked all day. After about a month of this, I (a middle schooler at the time) discovered how this all was happening. It turns out my father's brother firefighters were taking time off from their jobs and away from their own families to mow our lawn and take care of everything they could to help us out. That is when I decided the fire service is what i want to do. During a time of personal struggle and crisis, the fire department was there for my family and me. This is why, on my sixteenth birthday, I submitted my application to the same department that I had grown up in.
    However, today, that same brotherhood that compelled me to join is fading from my brothers, almost noone hangs out any more, there is more bickering and politics within the house than ever, and the worst part is, people are leaving because there is no more motivation. My own father's membership will expire next month because he never goes to calls anymore. So now, as I prepare to leave for college in the fall, I almost look forward to joining another department where hopefully the brotherhood is as strong as ever. What a pity.
    Brothers, do not let this happen to your department, teach the probies and remind the crusty old jakes what the "Brotherhood" is all about.

steve

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

I too have noticed the fading face of brotherhood lately. I am strong into brotherhood because I believe that we are the only ones
    who truly know and appreciate each other. We have all been down the hot, smoky hallways, we have all had the close calls, we all grieve the same when a fellow firefighter whether in our own depts or a dept 2000 miles away makes the sacrifice. We are the only ones who know what importance our job holds. I treat all firefighters as my brother. Whether paid or volly, the fire burns just as hot and we have all had the same experiences. So instead of thinking of ourselves, we should focus on unity, because it is us against the world!
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Default AMEN

Brotherhood........a seemingly simple word. An extraordinary way of life. To treat the people around you as family. For better or worse. No matter what happens, to be there for them. The acronyms in Pres. Gonzo Signature say it all. F*&K THE MUTTS,PROTECT THE BROTHERS, EVERYONE GOES HOME,REMEMBER FALLEN BROTHERS, KEEP THE FAITH.

That is what it boils down to, faith. Faith in each other. Because when we are going down that smoky hallway, we TRUST our BROTHERS to keep the FAITH and stand by us, come what may.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Thread Information