Post Light Rescue Non Walk In

We have begun the search for a light duty non walk in rescue truck. This rig will be our EMS response unit and we would also like it to carry our Jaws unit. We do not want a pump or any water capabilities.

Any thoughts or experieinces anyone can share would be appeciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hackney - Primary line is Beer trucks, but I had a chance to see a couple of these light rescues here in the county I run in and (without first hand usage) I was pretty impressed
    http://www.hackneyev.com/main_light_rescue.htm

Wheeled Coach SRV - Had a chance to look at a walk in version when I was pickin up our new ambulance this past December. It seemed lke a pretty slick set-up as well. ANd based on first hand workings with a wheeled coach (and their sales/service departments) if these are built anything like the ambulances - I'm sure you'll love it.
    http://www.wheeledcoach.com/firemedic_srv.asp

M&W Fire Apparatus Inc. - Local place in Vinton VA that was started by employees of the old Gruman Plant. Been through their shop a few times and from what I've seen - I'm impressed. They are a small but growing company and are very focused on building what you want - not a kit or spec unit. (Check out the recent deliveries page)
    http://www.mwfire.com

Now for thoughts:
    Get more truck than you think you'll ever need because 5 years from now - you'll need it (Space, Payload Capacity, and Hoursepower).

Think long and hard before dropping a feature or piece of equipment by saying "We can always add that later". When compaired to what it would cost to add an item while the unit is being built - you may end up paying 2 or 3 times more down the road.

When designing compartmens & shelving - Look at everything you want to carry now. Try to get all the heavy/bulky things as close to the ground as possible. Try to keep your weight distribution balanced (front to read AND side to side)

Hmm - guess that might get you started.

Best of luck with the new rig.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Thumbs up

You might want to look at E-One. I have heard alot a good reviews from fire departments across the east coast about these trucks the weight balances and construction is one of the best I have seen in a long time. The cost seems to pretty affordable according to FD's I have talked to. Look at the picture below of something I found off the website of E-One. (www.e-one.com)under the Tradition program they are offering

Forum Member

Default More Contacts

Not sure how busy this truck will be for you or how many $$$ you have but here are a couple more cost effective places to check out:

www.swabwagon.com

www.maintainer.com

Good Luck
    GB

Forum Member

Cool Summit Fire Apparatus

Summit Fire Apparatus builds units of the type that you are asking about. If you go to their web site: http://www.summitfireapparatus.com/ and then go to the Rescue Units link, there is a picture of a Ford F-550 that was delivered to Berlin Township, Ohio last year along with a diagram of the unit.

Good luck on your rig search!

Forum Member

Sit down and decide what you want to carry and how you want to operate off of the truck. For example do you want the most used equipment on the right side and rear so when the apparatus is staged in traffic you can access equipment without being in traffic.
    N2DFire is right on all three points. You will find stuff to put in the "extra room" and with a heavier chassis you won't worry about being overloaded. Once you get a list of what you want to carry you can start to determine the size. Spec the truck around the equipment, not the other way around. Visit other departments and look at what they have. They can give you the pro's and con's as they see them and you'll get some great ideas. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

Sit down and decide what you want to carry and how you want to operate off of the truck. For example do you want the most used equipment on the right side and rear so when the apparatus is staged in traffic you can access equipment without being in traffic.
    N2DFire is right on all three points. You will find stuff to put in the "extra room" and with a heavier chassis you won't worry about being overloaded. Once you get a list of what you want to carry you can start to determine the size. Spec the truck around the equipment, not the other way around. Visit other departments and look at what they have. They can give you the pro's and con's as they see them and you'll get some great ideas. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Thread Information