AKRON, Iowa (AP) - A 10-year member of the Akron volunteer fire
department died of smoke inhalation in a fire at his home Thursday.
Barry Small, 42, a city councilman, was found dead in his home
shortly after firefighters were called at 8:49 a.m. The
firefighters entered the home and quickly extinguished flames, but
were too late to save Small, Deputy State Fire Marshal David
Schipper said.
Schipper said the fire may have been smoldering for "quite
awhile" before firefighters were notified. Small was found in the
main floor living room of the two-story home.
Autopsy results released Thursday evening confirmed Small died
of smoke inhalation.
Schipper said the cause of the fire was electrical, originating
in the ceiling of the basement and burning up through the floor to
the main level.
Small, who was single and lived by himself, worked for the
Plymouth County roads department. He was elected to the Akron City
Council in 1999.

(Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press