Forum Member

Question Still Considered a Firefighter?

Here's a question that was asked of me that I'll throw out for your opinion. I was a vounteer firefighter on a fairly active combination department for 3 1/2 years. I am a certified Firefighter 1 and all the other certifications that goes along with being a firefighter. During this time I worked my way up from NREMT-Basic, Intermediate, and finally to Paramedic. Once I received my paramedic license and got a job as a paramedic, I was no longer able to fulfill my comittment to serve my community and my department. I felt I did the honorable thing and resigned January 2002 so I wouldn't be one the things that I detested the most, someone that doesn't know when to hang up their helment.

The question was asked of me do you still consider yourself a firefighter? Though I am technically a certified firefighter, I am not active at the time. I was taught the philosophy once a brother, always a brother. In my job I interact with firefighters every day, and most of them know where I came from so there is a certain amount of respect there, besides professional respect amongst paramedics. Firefighting is where I got my start, and I can never forget where I started, the people I've had the honor and privilege to work with, or the experiences we had, together. So what do you active firefighters think?
    Last edited by C2001UMedic; 05-17-2002 at 11:47 AM.
    ***The opinions and beliefs expressed above are mine and mine alone based on my education, training, and personal experiences. In no way do they reflect those of my employer(s), their affiliates, or any professional organizations that I belong to.***

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

C2, I think I see what your driving point is in your question, and I understand it totally. I am a member of the Canadian Military, and while my primary job is an office clerk, and always has been (15yrs of it), my first unit was with a tank regiment. When I first got there I claimed to be a clerk first and a soldier second and had many polite arguements with my Adjutant until I hit my 3rd year with the unit.

The unit has a published book called ONCE A STRATHCONA, ALWAYS A STRATHCONA. The title always intrigued me, and I asked to peruse a copy sometime during my 3rd year with the unit. The book is a compilation of anecdotes, but after reading a couple of them, I started to get the point of the title, and started to realize that it applied to me as well. I have since moved on and have sailed on 3 different fighting ships, and a worked for a couple different base units but here is the real point:

For all the bashing around the planet that I have done since my time with the Straths, to this day I am still a Stathcona at heart. I was sent to the Regiment as a "Probie", they accepted me, taught me the basic art of warfare and then let me loose on to the rest of the world.

So there it is: ONCE A FIREFIGHTER, ALWAYS A FIREFIGHTER. What is it you guys down south say? Something like: You can take the man(or woman) out of New York, but you can't take New York out of the man(or woman). New York of course may be substituted for anywhere else in the world.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 05-17-2002 at 12:02 PM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Still Considered a Firefighter?

Originally posted by C2001U Medic
    once a brother, always a brother
    Nuff Said
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Sorry Brother, can't get out of the family.

Forum Member

What are you crazy???? Once you leave you can never come back, you have disgraced your family you have turned you back on us!!!!! .......oh wait...... thats the mafia not the fire service. Yeah being a fire fighter is like a really bad virus once you got it you cant shake it.

LOCKED IN FOR LIFE
    Last edited by MOTOWN88; 05-17-2002 at 02:04 PM.
    I.A.C.O.J IRISH TATTOOED-HOOLIGAN

DETROIT FIRE FIGHTER AND PROUD!

Forum Member

Is a retired fireman still a bro?

Forum Member

Grit,

HELL YEAH, DID YOU ACTUALLY THINK THAT YOU WERENT????? SHAME ON YOU
    I.A.C.O.J IRISH TATTOOED-HOOLIGAN

DETROIT FIRE FIGHTER AND PROUD!

Sr. Information Officer

Default Re: Still Considered a Firefighter?

Originally posted by C2001U Medic
    The question was asked of me do you still consider yourself a firefighter?
    Firefighting is where I got my start, and I can never forget where I started, the people I've had the honor and privilege to work with, or the experiences we had, together.
    Having said it so eloquently...you've just answered your own question!
    You will always be a brother. You share that special bond C2001U Medic...and it will last a lifetime!

A hearty hand salute to you!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Thread Information