Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Denver or Boston

Im vol. firefighter now and i want to go to a paid department soon and i like denver and boston, i was wondering if there are any paid firefighters on these forms from either city that can give me some insight.
    Jeff Gurski

1st you have to get a job offer...If they allow it apply to both! and a ton of others!

MembersZone Subscriber CFD Hazards's Avatar

Default Boston

I am not a Boston firefighter but I do live in New England and know a little about the BFD. Boston has strict residency requirements to get hired. You must have maintained a Boston address for at least one year prior to the test to get credit for it. If you are a white male then it is even harder. You must score a perfect 100% on the testing and I believe they then put you in a lottery. The application period ended not long ago. The only positive thing about this time around is there weren't that many applicants. On the other hand, budget cuts are sweeping across the entire state of Mass. and layoffs are pending. Those that get laid off have first preference to get hired in any community that is hiring.
    I read on these forums that Miami-Dade will be hiring soon. It is a hell of a lot warmer down there then here in New England or Denver for that matter. Godd luck in your quest.

Boston is a hard nut to crack. Great city to work in though.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Cool

GEE, lets see, a DUMP-of-a-town, on the East coast that has been STAGNIGHT for the last 100 years, OR a metro area that is in the TOP TWO (2) growin' areas in the nation.

Let's see, an OVERCROWED, east-coast city or the beauty of the wide open plains of the American West? As Hommer Simson would say, "Dulp!"

DUDE: Colorado is the BEST!!!! Bring your mountian bike, backpack, tent, love of wide open spaces , and your sprit 2 B FREE and "Come on out"!!!

U have D.F.D, Aurora, Lakewood, Englewood, Littleton, West Metro F.P.D.,Boulder, Longmount, . . . the oppertunities are out west!! As Horrace Greely said, "Go West young man"!!!

Stay in the decayin', rust-belt of the east coast if U want, or come 2 a place that will give U more beauty, awe, & life than anywhere else in the U.S.!!! (Just brush up on your wildland/urban interface tactics!)

PEACE
    Last edited by DenverFarmboy; 05-18-2002 at 04:47 AM.

Forum Member

Originally posted by DenverFarmboy
    and your sprit 2 B FREE and "Come on out"!!!
    [/B]
    That is where everyone goes to "Come out"

*Mark

Wink

. . . stuck in Utah, huh Mark. Ya, kinda' hard 2 "Come Out" there. Feel sorry for ya'll, must B hell there in Brigun Young territory & NOT bein' able 2 "be yourself!" Guess that's your cross 2 bear, as it was!

By-the-by, how are your wive S ?!?!?!?!?!!!!! You must be poppin' out all kinda's of little firefighters with your 12, 18, 22 wives!!!! So someone might be Gay (like me), guess YOU R makin' up for it with your MANY wives!!! God bless Orin Hatch, you & the rest of the American Talliban (+ John ***-KKKroft, your leader!).

God bless ya'll!!! Where would Hitler have been without folks like U??? Guess the Shrub George Bush the II don't have nothing to fear with people like you out there, huh?

God bless the U.S.A & the internet for showin' us the likes of you Mark . Better to know the enemy within then have 2 hunt them down on the the "outside."

Forum Member

Where you're from, do they encourage you to wear shoes? I can see that they didn't really push to you attend any sort of educational facility. Just really good to hear from you...

Have a nice day,

*Mark

DUDE, nothin' but boots here. Don't have 2 learn how 2 tie shoes. Just grab the straps and PULL! Kinda' how U got your sister 2 the alter: U just pulled her. Like your daddy did your mother, his sister. No wonder you folks from Utah is the way U are!

You know Mark, there ARE reasons for them blood tests before U get married. Mostly to STOP inter-family marriages like you Utah folks seem 2 like 2 do!!! When your kid starts 2 grow a third arm out the middle of his back, don't come lookin' 4 Medicare frome the rest of us NORMAL Citizens !!!

PEACE Dude, OUT

Forum Member

Good one, when my kid starts growing an arm out his back, I'll come looking for you... what you been doing in my 'hood? At least my sister still has all her teeth. Plus I hear that all that comes from Denver is steers and queers, and I don't see any horns on you. Colorado, where the girls are girls and the boys are too!

Have a mighty fine morning pal...

*Mark

Wink

UTAH: where men are men and sheep run in FEAR!!!

UTAH: "I love ya' baby, do U love me?" "I Dooooooooooooha!!!!

How do you tell a Man from UTAH? He has wool stuck in his zipper!!!!!!

The test for Boston was just taken. It will be offered again in the year 2004. In order to be placed high enough to see your name on the list you have to be below 800. This year, we had over 3000 applicants. The pecking order is 1 for 1, affirmative action is still in this city, this is another debate. Survivors go first, then DAV, then Vet's. Of course only residents get hired, and to claim you are a resident you must show proof that you lived in the city for 1 year prior to the test.

As for your choice as to which department you want to go to. It's easy, do you want to be a firefighter or not! If you want to fight fire there is only one choice....head to east coast and dump that " metro area that is in the TOP TWO (2) growin' areas in the nation, the beauty of the wide open plains of the American West."

If firefighting is not your thing....don't want to fight fires the way your suppose to, from the inside. Then by all means ...head to
    beauty of the wide open plains of the American West, I heard denver is the place to be.
    ** The opionions are mine and mine alone, they are not that of my dept or the local**

Hmmmmmmmmm.... All depends on what you want to do. Do you want to fight some fire, or do you want to run EMS responder runs for the rest of your life with an occasional fire response? Granted, Boston isn't as busy as they were 15 years ago, (as is the case in all eastern seaboard cities) but the action is still there! Yes, you will do EMS runs with Boston, BUT, they will actually toss a good structural fire at you on more than an "occasional" basis. The majority of the structures in Boston were built prior to building laws, out in Denver, everything is being built to stringent code enforcement standards- Not a bad thing, but who wants to shut off PIV valves for the rest of their career? And brush fires- NO THANKS! If you go to Boston, get to know truck work, and ground ladders! If what I have heard is true, the only reason aerial devices exist in Denver is for exterior defensive operations. And a 40 or 50' Bangor? They have one in a museum somewhere.........
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB

MembersZone Subscriber

Please, please do not let denver farmboy be a representative of Colorado, Denver, or the Front Range. It really saddens me that he is having an impact even with his immature rants and ravings. If someone really has any questions about the Front Range departments, I can help you out. I live in Fort Collins, a town of about 140,000 people 45 miles north of the Denver area. I have done a lot of research on departments up and down the front range and am currently applying to three of them and will apply to about five more when they start next year.

As far as Denver Fire Department goes, it is one of the biggest in Colorado (I think it actually is the biggest). DFD firefighters are generally fire-only although they are first responders to medicals. They run BLS engines. They have 32 stations, I think. Contrary to popular belief, they do get fires, just not as often as departments on the east coast do (see building codes). However, the front range departments are some of the most diverse, progressive departments that you will find. Poudre Fire Authority (Fort Collins), South Metro Fire Rescue (South Denver), West Metro Fire (West of Denver), Parker Fire (Southeast of Denver), and Colorado Springs Fire are all very progressive departments. (Sorry if I left you out to the other depts...I just don't know you very well). All but PFA run ALS engines or their own ambulances and have incredible training opportunities.

Ok, well now I'm rambling. Here's the point: don't listen to Denver Farm boy. Please.

Eric

Administrator

Exclamation Thread Closed

Just a reminder to keep all discussions topics ON TOPIC.

Personal attacks, serious or in jest, have no place here in what was intended as a legitimate discussion thread.

Users have been warned and there will be no further warnings. Users should refer to the Terms of Service in the FAQ.

Due to the nature of this thread and what it resulted in, it will now be closed.

-WebTeam

Thread Information