Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Leroy140- Couldn't have summed it up any better brother!!! I love everything about this job. Try to block out the BS. Love it when
    stepdaughter proudly tells everyone her Dad is a fireman.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

My daughter, 3 1/2,(going on 23!), when she climbs up on my lap and tells me that she loves me. Then she will tell me that she wants to be on a fire truck when she grows up. When I am leaving and she runs to open the door for me and says, "give me a hug.....You be careful Dad!" When I come home, and she's there waiting at the door with another big hug. Now THAT's a happy place!

HAPPY PLACE a short story from MOTOWN

Itís the hand holding onto my pack as I saw through a roof on a December night.

The cup of water poured over my head by a brother as I sit exhausted on a July day.

The cigarette that appears from a grimy hand and he also offers a light.

The constant phone calls and visits as I lay in a hospital bed many years ago.

The constant phone calls and visits when I separated from my wife.

Knowing my brothers would fight to the death for me.

The big eyes and small hands that wave as you drive down the road.

The hug that comes after you showed the child the truck.

When the mothers screams are silenced because your brothers brought out the child that was trapped.

When we are all crowded around the TV watching any sports event.

After duty when I am at a table with Guinness in hand telling lies and laughing with my brothers.

The picture of me hanging on the wall at my parentís house, as they will proudly tell everyone possible their son is a fire fighter.

Working in the same neighborhood I grew up in and feeling as though I really am ďprotecting my neighbors and their propertyĒ.

Knowing that there are thousands of fire fighters across this great country that would race to my side if I ever needed anything.

The fact that dreams actually come true and I actually get paid to ride a fire truck.

That even though I donít know some one personally I can still call them BROTHER because I know whatís inside of them.
    I.A.C.O.J IRISH TATTOOED-HOOLIGAN

DETROIT FIRE FIGHTER AND PROUD!

I second all that has been mentioned so far. I am single and do not have any children so I cannot comment on how that feels but I can add what I do know.

I love the chatter from the guys after a run. I love to sit out in front of the station and watch traffic go by and chew the fat about anything and everything. Just riding the engine with the crew is enough for me. My happy place is the fire station and everything it represents and it involves. When your on the way back from a good worker and your dirty, smelly and tired yet wired. You know what I mean, the silence of the crew on the ride back because they are tired from working at full throttle most of the night but you all know you just helped someone from loosing everything.

Another "happy place" for me is public education. I can't explain the feeling you get when a child recognizes you as the fireman that came to the school for a fire prevention class. It's nice to know that maybe you can make a difference in someone's life.

Talking Happy Happy Joy Joy

Hello everybody. There's lots of things about the fire service make me happy. The thing I enjoy the most is being able to learn new skills and take the things I learn, and use them to help people. I love hearing old stories from the older members in my department about "how they used to do it." I think it's so neat to see how things have changed and how some things are still the same. The brotherhood in my company is the best in the world for me however. It's nice to know you're loved.

Have a Great day everybody! ~ Squirt ~
    Did ya ever wonder what happens to the girls that rip the heads off Barbie Dolls?... They Fight Fire.

Talking

I've been on our volunteer fire dept for 22 years and now I have a 20 year old son who volunteers his time also. I really enjoy the time we spend together at the station or on calls. He passed his FF1A last year and has just finished you his EMT course lase week. He now wants to get his underwater rescue and recovery certification. It brings great joy to be able to spend time with him and think that the old man is really teaching him something. Part of the problem with this countrys youth is the lack of quality time spent with the youngins. Firefighting/EMS help teache the respect for other peoples feelings and belongins. I think it would be great if all young kids were required to do ride alongs with EMS/Firefighterd to auto wrecks or drug related calls to see the devistation these actions cause. Enough of the soapbox for now. Just on proud papa.
    Lt. Homer

My happy place is on the East coast as far away from LHS* as possible.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

My son will be three in July, and he knows now that when I put my FD shirt on that he might get to go to the fire station and ďdriveĒ the firetrucks.

I can handle my son wanting to join up, but itís my daughter I worry about! Sheís only eight months old and Iím already concerned that she might want to get into this business.

I tell our newer guys that the only fun part of firefighting is getting thereóeverything else is work. But I think the best part is the sense of finality you get when youíre backing the truck into the station after itís all over.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

under the covers...ignoring the alarm clock!

I am a newbie, so I don't have a whole lot of experience, but what makes me feel all "warm and fuzzy inside" is hearing all of you seasoned veterans talk about the things that make you happy. These are the things I look forward to in my future...these are the things that I want to be able to talk about someday, too. One thing I did notice while I was an EMT student, though, was the camaraderie between everyone at the station. I did a lot more time at the station than my class required, and I got to know a lot of the firefighters quite well. It really is a "brotherhood." That's what I love the most, and I hope to experience it sometime very soon. (Wish me luck; still trying to find a job! LOL)
    Jen, EMT-B
    "I got lost in thought...it was unfamiliar territory."
    "I love mankind--it's people I can't stand" --Linus

I remembered just today why I do this job. A woman brought her 3 grandsons who were visiting from out of town for a station tour. They were very nice young men. The youngest of them has decided he wants to change his name to "Firemanguy". He came in dressed in his blazing Hotwheels T-shirt and shoes (his fire boots) and wearing an old yellow windbreaker type coat that looked very worn (his bunker coat). I couldn't keep these old eyes from tearing up as I watched his excitement going through the station and taking in every word I said. As we neared the end of our tour, he whispered to me "I want to grow up and be a firefighter just like you".
    As I have had the rest of the day to think of these words, I realized that I do make a difference. I will do my damndest to live up to his vision.
    I encourage everyone in the Fire Service to do the same. Train hard, work hard, look out for your partners and at the end of your shift or the end of the day, go home and hug those that you love. I know I will come morning. Find your happiness within and share it.

JLucky

(and now you know why)

Default Re: Go to your happy place...MMMmmm...yeah..Go to your happy place,OH,OH,OH,YEEAAH Baby!!

Originally posted by StayBack500FT

To put a positive spin on the old forums, what about the fire service makes you ?
    Getting paid every Thursday for doing something I enjoy doing! It doesn't get much better than that.

Thread Information