Talking

I've been on our volunteer fire dept for 22 years and now I have a 20 year old son who volunteers his time also. I really enjoy the time we spend together at the station or on calls. He passed his FF1A last year and has just finished you his EMT course lase week. He now wants to get his underwater rescue and recovery certification. It brings great joy to be able to spend time with him and think that the old man is really teaching him something. Part of the problem with this countrys youth is the lack of quality time spent with the youngins. Firefighting/EMS help teache the respect for other peoples feelings and belongins. I think it would be great if all young kids were required to do ride alongs with EMS/Firefighterd to auto wrecks or drug related calls to see the devistation these actions cause. Enough of the soapbox for now. Just on proud papa.
    Lt. Homer

My happy place is on the East coast as far away from LHS* as possible.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

My son will be three in July, and he knows now that when I put my FD shirt on that he might get to go to the fire station and “drive” the firetrucks.

I can handle my son wanting to join up, but it’s my daughter I worry about! She’s only eight months old and I’m already concerned that she might want to get into this business.

I tell our newer guys that the only fun part of firefighting is getting there—everything else is work. But I think the best part is the sense of finality you get when you’re backing the truck into the station after it’s all over.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

under the covers...ignoring the alarm clock!

I am a newbie, so I don't have a whole lot of experience, but what makes me feel all "warm and fuzzy inside" is hearing all of you seasoned veterans talk about the things that make you happy. These are the things I look forward to in my future...these are the things that I want to be able to talk about someday, too. One thing I did notice while I was an EMT student, though, was the camaraderie between everyone at the station. I did a lot more time at the station than my class required, and I got to know a lot of the firefighters quite well. It really is a "brotherhood." That's what I love the most, and I hope to experience it sometime very soon. (Wish me luck; still trying to find a job! LOL)
    Jen, EMT-B
    "I got lost in thought...it was unfamiliar territory."
    "I love mankind--it's people I can't stand" --Linus

I remembered just today why I do this job. A woman brought her 3 grandsons who were visiting from out of town for a station tour. They were very nice young men. The youngest of them has decided he wants to change his name to "Firemanguy". He came in dressed in his blazing Hotwheels T-shirt and shoes (his fire boots) and wearing an old yellow windbreaker type coat that looked very worn (his bunker coat). I couldn't keep these old eyes from tearing up as I watched his excitement going through the station and taking in every word I said. As we neared the end of our tour, he whispered to me "I want to grow up and be a firefighter just like you".
    As I have had the rest of the day to think of these words, I realized that I do make a difference. I will do my damndest to live up to his vision.
    I encourage everyone in the Fire Service to do the same. Train hard, work hard, look out for your partners and at the end of your shift or the end of the day, go home and hug those that you love. I know I will come morning. Find your happiness within and share it.

JLucky

(and now you know why)

Default Re: Go to your happy place...MMMmmm...yeah..Go to your happy place,OH,OH,OH,YEEAAH Baby!!

Originally posted by StayBack500FT

To put a positive spin on the old forums, what about the fire service makes you ?
    Getting paid every Thursday for doing something I enjoy doing! It doesn't get much better than that.

Thread Information