Forum Member

Default Pump Pannel Location?

I was just wondering where your pump pannel on your engine is? Or what you like the best out of any units you have been stationed on.

As for ours... I am not really sure .... maybe Malahat-Two-7 could help me remember...

Lets here your thoughts....
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Forum Member

I prefer the "Top-mount" pump panel. Gives you view of all the scene, plus gets you out of the roadway thus avoiding the chance of being hit. Use mostly side (driver side) mounted panel, but would prefer the top mount.

*Mark

Forum Member

We have top mounts on all the engines, I would prefer a rear mount. The top mount is great for car fires and accidents. I don't care for the extra 2-3 feet of truck(for the walkway), or going up and down during structure fires. The winter is really bad, it's easy to slip on the steps when wet or icy. Also gets warm in summer with a mid mount engine. Another problem, with the engine right there you can't hear anything else, radio traffic included.
    Rear mount makes sense. All the hose comes off there, you're on the ground, less plumbing to run, and you can see around the back.

Our truck and one engine are side-mount pumps. Our newest engine is a top-mount. This is mainly because it is our highway engine (for NJ State Rt. 55). It is much safer for car fires and accidents Saftey is the most important thing!

Chuck Jones Jr.
    Station/Squad 22-4
    Gloucester County, NJ

Our engines all have side mount pump panels. Seems to be the tradition around here. Luckily, heavy traffic situations aren't too prevalent, so with only a couple of exceptions, operator safety isn't too much of an issue. Top mount would be nicce, though.

Default pump panels

As an equipment operator (Driver) I prefer the top mount pump panel. I have been assinged to engines with both and currently drive an engine with a top mount panel. I really like that you can see the scene and are not crowded by lines coming off your engine. Have you ever noticed if you have a side mount panel you rarely have fires where the lines are pulled off of the officers side (at least my luck) then you have the line right where you need to stand with top mount punp you are up out of the way and can see what your lines are doing better. just my opinion from my experences. As far a for the extra length have not noticed that to be a problem unless your station is not very deep and this could become an issue.

we have top mount panel on both of our engines but none of the engineers we don't like geting up and down the truck to do everything i prefer the side mount pump. our rescue is a rear mount pump it is ok but i haven't pumped very many fires from it to form a good opinion
    I PROVIDE A NAMELESS FACELESS SERVICE TO A COMMUNITY THAT RARELY KNOWS HOW MUCH THEY NEED ME IF I AM CALLED FROM A SOUND SLEEP TO SACRIFICE MY LIFE TRYING TO SAVE THE PROPERTY OR LIFE OF SOMEONE I DO NOT KNOW I WILL DO SO WITHOUT REGRET
    From the book "The Heart Behind The Hero" from Jon Mc Duffie in memory of Joe Dupee LAFD

Forum Member

We have four different loations - front - side - top - and rear mount ( panel is in the rear drivers side compartment). All have there advantages but I would have to say I perfer the rear mount. Advantages are shorter wheel base , better visability, keeps the front of the building open for the truck. Our discharges come off the rear and the front with front and rear suctions.

SBLG

MembersZone Subscriber

Both of our pumpers are top mount. I like this simply because of the view, and you're up out of the way.

Forum Member

Side panel location. Old school pumping, when you are getting a supply line in the side of the truck, you lean on it, when it get's soft, you can't pump anymore water. Other company in town had a top mount, operators complained of too much up and down during a call.

Forum Member

I have to agree with Bones and the rest that like the side mount. At first, I thought a top mount would be the way to go, but after working a training burn as the pump op for 6 hours on the weekend I must have logged about 30 miles of walking just doing laps around the Engine checking on things... lines, water supply, equipment, etc etc. Having to climb up and down would have made if even longer, etc. However, the sight advantage would have been a good thing. The portable takes where on the far side of the Engine, thus all the miles I logged going around.

When we burn down the second structure next weekend I will make sure the vehicle is staged so that the tanks are on the same side... I like keeping a very close eye on them...
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Forum Member

Originally posted by SBLG
    All have there advantages but I would have to say I perfer the rear mount. Advantages are shorter wheel base , better visability, keeps the front of the building open for the truck.
    SBLG
    How does the rearmount keep the front open for the truck?

Forum Member

mark440

For our guys they drive past so they can see the fire building when standing at the rear drivers side , also most of our preconnects come off the back so we pull just past the building.
    Of course it does not always work that way but thats the way we like to try and do it.

SBLG

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Ok FF26, for your info, just in case in the last 3 days you forgot,the panel is on the drivers side !! LOL Just had to get that one out. And besides regarding this past weekend, remember:

YOU VOLUNTEERED FOR THE JOB!! :P

As to the main question, my experience has soley been with side mounts and I agree that there is definetly a lot of running around the engine to check water supply, hoselines, and the scene, etc. The thing about the side mount is that with it being on the driver side, there have been times when I have felt very very terribly exposed to traffic. Not a very happy feeling at all. In addition to that, I am an information pig when it comes to scene management and knowing what is going on around me. With the engine staged to receive water, the panel is too often on the "wrong" side of the scene to see where your water is going, and who is using it.

I have no operational opinion of a top mount, but other than jumping up and down on a very frequent basis, I am wondering if that is not the way to go. A downfall of the top mount, just from a layout point of view, is that it does take up a lot of otherwise very valuable storage space.

To each his own preference, I guess.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I have worked with both top mounts (at my paid job) and side mounts (at my volly dept.) and have to say that I prefer the side mounts. Top mounts would be nice, I guess, if you had maximum staffing and once you climbed up there you could mostly stay up there and operate the truck. Reality is different, however, and our operators have to do a lot of running around, hooking up lines, helping replace SCBA bottles and the like. That's a lot of up and down for the operator. Also adds to the overall length of the truck, which is a problem with some stations, and increases your turning radius in any case. That space could also be used for storage. Waiting to see how our new engine at work will work out...has top-mount controls but all the connections and pump are in the rear. Not a common arrangement, that I've seen.

Forum Member

We are traditionally a side-mount department. They allow you to position the rig as shelter against the dang north winds and Alberta Clippers.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Forum Member

Our department used to have a 1952 American LaFrance with a side mount pump panel on the PASSENGER side. Does anyone have one set up this way? We are looking into a new rescue that will have a pump on it and I have been debating on suggesting that we look into putting the panel on the passenger side for safety reasons. My thoughts are that since this truck will mostly work at crash scenes, the engineer will usually position the rig to protect the scene. On our 4-lane, the truck could be angled and the engineer would be operating on the opposite side from where any potential secondary collision would occur.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Malahat 27 and FF26 over here in Colwood we have one of each and my opinion is that the Rear mount is the way to go.Come on over and i will be glad to show you all 3 rigs and discuss the pros and cons of them.Sometimes you don't have to look farther than your neighbours to get ideas!!!

I personally prefer the top mounted panel just because its easier to see each side of the truck, and the controls are on the same side of the panel, as the hose comes out

the 79 eng we have has a drivers side mounted...and the new truck we have on order (deliv. august) has a side mounted pump also

Thread Information