Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Dual Action Airbags

Hello!

Today I was in contact with DaimlerChrysler (Mercedes-Benz) and also got informations on dual action airbags as they are mentioned on Ron Shaws website http://www.extrication.com (saftey issues and notices).

Here is a quote from this webpage:
    "When asked if it was possible that a manufacturer could fire only one stage leaving a second active, the answer was "YES". In this given instance, a responder could arrive at a scene and see a deployed airbag and the second stage could be active."

Mercedes Benz is one of the manufactures who do so... in some cars they only fire one stage, leaving another stage active. The picture I attached shows the new MB SL, take a closer look at it and you will find a warning label directly on the airbag.

"Risk of injury!
    Two-stage airbag system! Airbag could trigger
    a second time.
    Use the same safety precautions as if the airbag
    had not deployed"

What do you think of it?
    Jorg Heck
    Airbag&Co, Germany/Austria
    http://airbag.feuerwehr.org

Forum Member

Here is a pictures of such a deployed dual action airbag:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jorg Heck
    Airbag&Co, Germany/Austria
    http://airbag.feuerwehr.org

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Another day is over half over (got to attend to a car fire in the middle of it - and yes FF26, I found the pump panel. ) and I have learned something new!

Joerg, I have read your post, and gone to the suggested link and all I can say is WOW!!! That was the first time visit to Extrication.com, but its not going to be the last.

As a result of my reading through the website, I have made some notes and of course lots of questions concerning what I read:

1) "dual Action Airbags" - that was a new phrase for me, and it took a bit to figure out what that meant. If I got it right, that means that 2000+ model vehicles are going to be fitted with I will call a "two stage" airbag. Meaning that the bag will deploy on initial impact, but that there is enough gas to re-inflate it again, at a time interval designated by the auto maker. Is this the correct thought line? In any case: HOLY S#$t!!! If for some reason it doesn't fire before we arrive, we the rescuer could be in for a big shock.

2) I noted that HYDROGEN is one of several different gases that may be used in the gas generator - as I recall my chemistry classes, this stuff is very very flammable! When I think of hydrogen, I think of the HINDENBERG. I thought that the inflator gases were supposed to be inert, such as argon CO2 and the like?

3) Following the hydrogen, I read from the "Fall 1999 Testing" that the hybrid inflators use an igniter, which extrudes an oxidizer, creating a hot oxygen enriched mixed gas... I thought about this for a few seconds (well ok probably a minute or two) and then remembered todays car fire. Now if by some chance we get a MVA call, involving a vehicle fire at the same time, could there be some possibility that the fire could become more "active" because of the introduction of a higher O2 level?

4) The use of PPE (our attack team is always fully dressed in a fire situation) while dealing with these updated airbag systems, seems like a very reasonable precaution, with the exception of it being very very confining and awkward to work with the patient, while keeping the rescuer as safe as is possible considering the circumstances. Not knowing what the chemcial composition of the inflators is not a good thing either. Being told that for "industry secrecy" we can't tell you what is in it, but the stuff is save, but we recommend that you do not touch deployed airbags with bare skin! What does this say of the occupant, in whose face this bag has just deployed?!

5) The explosive nature of the inflator is given near the end of the report. It seems that now, in addition to trying to be (and remember) aware of tires, loaded impact bumpers, drive shafts and fuel cells that may blow up because of structure damge caused in a MVA and fire in the vehicle, we now have to be aware that the inflator units may also explode in our face.

Hmmm gives one a very warm fuzzy feeling to know that a vehicle that is already a nasty piece of equipment to deal with when it is damaged, now there are other things inside that can cause both occupant and rescuer some very serious injury.

Thank you Joerg, this has been a very informative day, and I have already made a print of the information to be passed on to my dept at the earliest opportunity. Keep up the good work.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Default Airbag Explosions

From the training sessions I have attended from Mercedes Benz and Gereal Motors Holden, they both stated that the airbag inflater modules DO NOT explode in car fires.

They deploy the bag.

From memory, this occurs at around 170 degrees celsius. Not exactly a "hot" fire, so it's very early in the process...

With regards to the inflator gas- most of ours are nitrogen fired. This includes side bag, seat belt retractors, pre tensioners, etc.
    Luke

Thread Information