Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Pierce Sky-FIVE aerial

Does anybody know anything about the Pierce Sky-five aerial. It is a five section 100' ladder. They purchased the design in 1997 when Pierce purchased Nova Quintech. Do they still produce it.

thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I think you are talking about the ladder where the last 15 feet or so can bend down from the ladder itself. If that is the ladder that you are talking about, it is called the Sky-Arm. You are correct that it was built by Nova Quintech and bought by Pierce. When Pierce bought the design they re-engineered all the hydraulics to bring it up to a higher standard. It looks pretty neat and they still do build it.

Yes you can still purchase the sky five midmount ladder. I believe the shortest wheelbase you can get the truck in is somewhere around 240" I think. Once again showing that the engineers from pierce can royally screw up not only their ideas but the ones they buy too.

Most of the sales ( i think all of them) were of rear-mount aerials. This way you can get a 32 ' long vehicule with a 100' ladder. If you want a quint, you have to take a tandem rear axle, which adds about 5 or 6 feet to the total lenght.

As for Fire26 response, the sky-arm was also purchased by Pierce, but it isn't the same product as the sky-five.

Pierce only delivered one, i think, to Quebec City, Canada. I saw the demo mid-mount on Pierce's site, but never heard of it afterwards.

Forum Member

Cool Pierce 100' Midmount Ladder

Matt,

Yes, Pierce still builds the Sky-Five, but they dropped that name. They simply call it a 100' Midmount Ladder now. It's basically the same exact truck as the 95' Midmount Platform, minus the bucket. I know that the Greenwich, CT FD has at least 1 and I'm pretty sure they have 2. Our dept has a Pierce 95' Midmount Platform and it's a great truck. A little long but we expected that with a midmount design. If you guys are considering getting the 100' Midmount Ladder, I HIGHLY recommend the TAK4 independent front suspension. It significantly increases manuverability of the truck.

Here's a link to Pierce's website page for the truck:

Pierce 100' Midmount Ladder

Thread Information