Thread: ambulance

Forum Member

Default ambulance

anyone in here have an ambulance with their dept. if so about how much did it cost and what all came with it. because i want our dept to get one but dont know what kind of funds would be needed. thanks for any replies.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

McDonald Pa. ruarl/urban area overall population 12,000

Woo hey man i don't why you would want a buss in your station but it cost's approx 55 to 65,000 bucks that's empty all the stuff in itanother $20,000 or so if you got transport available to your department go into QRS it save's you in man power time and your not tied up for the usual 30min to 1 1/2 hr transport time check with your state on funding for both training for members is the same eguip is the same but you can use a subburban/van type vehicle hope this helps some

I don't know if the previous poster was quoting prices on, a used bus or a new one, but if he's talking new, I'd like to know where they're getting such a good deal. Granted, we have a few extras on our buses here in Alaska because we need an add-on insulation package and a few other area specific things. But from what I've heard from the board, our new ALS bus will cost right around $120,000.00. That's with all major, built in appliances (suction, O2 system) on board, but no medical supplies. From that information, I'd have to put estimate it will cost around $140k to $150k to purchase and put into service a new ALS bus.
    Greg Smith
    Assistant Chief
    Gakona Vol. Fire Dept.
    Gakona, Alaska

Forum Member

Default He wasn't far off

Compared to our newer rig he wasn't too far off. Our full-mod box on an E-450 chassis built in 2000 ran right at $70000. It's a 168" box with TONS of space. Right now we only run ILS with it but it's got plenty of space to run ALS. It's always fun transporting a pt to the ER and pulling up next to another rig....makes you feel kinda goood having the biggest rig around

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

MembersZone Subscriber

Woo,

It depends on exactly what you are looking for, and being your talking about running out of your station, I'm gonna venture and say you'll be an BLS agency. Contact Wheeled Coach and get the number for your area rep. They can crunch numbers for you on many different body types to help you with money ideas. $15-20K is a fair estimate for equipment to stock it, and have some extras to replace that left in the ER. I refer Wheeled Coach because, in my personal opinion and experience they have excellent products, from mini-mods, to vans, to full mods, and they also deliver very quickly, being they have a plant right in NJ. The only more dependable, able to beat the $hit outta em' amublances are Braun's. But they are more pricey. If you have an ALS back-up system, keep that in mind also. But do what you gotta do, I find it just as easy to perform all my ALS skills on trauma, arrests, etc in a van as I do the huge rescue/ambulance one of my district BLS FD's run. The only nice thing about a mid-mount stretcher, is a little more room and you don't have to have the patient cross their arm over their body.

GSmith, is the price your agency is paying possibly attributed to being in Alaska? For what you paid for your amublance, we'd have a cadillac model here. We have an agency close to me that paid nearly what you paid and we roll our eyes and laugh when they pull up. (No offense Code) For us, in an inner urban system, bigger isn't better, nor is a ton of gadgets. I'll work in a Volkswagon Bug if I have to. The dept I work for has the largest engine in our area, probably the county, we call it amtrak, cause of its length. I only wish I could get out when I get detailed there, and be proud of being the biggest.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Love Dem WheeledCoaches

Woo,

Go to http://n2dfire.tripod.com/stationbio.html and scroll down till you get to the apparatus. Look at the first Unit (Med 3) - a 2002 F-350 4WD.

This truck was bought off the VA state Bid contract for just under $83K (Minus Lettering, Radio Install, and Cell Phone Install). This was a replacement truck for us so we already had all the supplies & gizmos to stock it with (including a cot).

Total cost to get it on the street was just shy of $86K

From what I was told regarding the VA State contract pricing - this truck was sold to us at about $25K less that what it would have gone for otherwise.

Feel free to e-mail with questions.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Lets not forget the cost of hiring people to ride the ambulance after it chases all of your volunteers away. Eventually people get sick of the 3am taxi rides because "Ms Jones" does not want to wake her husband to take her to the hospital for that 3 day old toothache.
    Be prepared, EMS is a venture best left to Private Companies.

Fire and EMS, a Match Made in Hell.
    You Waste your time, YOUR LINE IS MINE!

C'mon now, this is a good thread. Lets hear your opinions on Fire Based EMS services provided by Volunteers. My Opinion is that it needs to be stopped in busier Volunteer departments. I am interested to hear from some of the VFD's out there who are not that busy.

Forum Member

Okay now my vollie ambulance isn't really a part of the FD but we do work out of the firehouse and have a great working relationship. In my experience you need to have people that want to help others. Yeah we get the BS 3 am calls but to tell you the truth those could be the best calls you'll ever have. I've had it happen time and time again where we get the Pt. to the ER and the best thing that can happen does. They thank you. Yeah I may be tired, hungry, and ticked off b/c I had "other activities" going on at the time but when a Pt thanks us and really means it, it makes it all worthwhile.

Yeah some FD's shouldn't run EMS calls. They're the ones that are only in it to say that they are FFs and don't really care about helping people. And yes there are people like that. The vollies that just do it for the T-shirt and Blue light. The ones that use being a FF as a pick-up line b/c they think that it gives them an edge. Personally if I had that kind of Firefighter......I wouldn't want him anywhere near one of my Pts.

Now I know I've ****ed off alot of people with this post but it's the truth. There are vollies that dont really care about their towns and those in them. Yes some Depts shouldn't run EMS. But what about the small towns that don't have any kind of EMS service for 30 miles.

My advice: If you run EMS, find the right people. There's nothing worse than a medic that doesn't care.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

www.helpingourown.com

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

There are two busses at my volly house. A 1993 Road Rescue with International 4900 cab and chassis and a 1995 Road Rescue with the same cab and chassis. The first one cost about $90,000 and the second cost $104,000 without equipment. We do about 600 EMS runs a year. We actually inherited the 95 from another company in town that gave up transport. We haven't had any problems with crews. Gets out all the time and 92% with an ALS crew.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

We are a combination department running fire and EMS since the mid 1970's. It works very well for us. The private companies will not touch our city of 9,000 because it would be a loser for them. The hospital doesn't want it either. Two things remain clear to us. First, if we didn't run EMS calls (1,156 EMS and 198 fire in 2001) our small paid staff would be looking for employment. Secondly, our volunteer staff would be very bored. Of course, without the staffing to conduct comprehensive commercial fire inspections our fire calls would certainly increase. It works well for us. Our 1999 Chevy Type I 4X4 (McCoy Miller) cost $75,000.00 without the defibrillator, portable suction, radios, etc. That cost did include the cot and on-board oxygen system.

One big thing to consider if transporting patients is the very serious trend in reimbursement cutbacks from medicare, medicaid and insurance companies. This is a nightmare for our billing clerk and we don't see it getting any better in the near future.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey CodeBlue,

You're right, only EMTs care about people - FFs definitely do not. I mean, you hit it right on the head dude. When I joined, all I wanted was my t-shirt, blue light and a pick up line - just like you said! Just wondering, but did you ever stop to think that running EMS is not for everyone? Just as I'm sure there's a legitimate reason that you are not a FF (and I bet I know what it is) there's probably similarly legitimate reasons why others don't want to be techs. I'm sure you're the superhero you think you are, but just cause someone doesn't want to run EMS doesn't mean they don't care.

Forum Member

Bucks,
    That wasn't what I was saying. I have a feeling that you read into it abit too much. What I was saying is that there are FF's that only join b/c they think it's something to do. To get the T-shirt and Blue light. Those FF's aren't doing it to help the community. Now they are in the minority but they are there. As for Firefighters not wanting to run EMS. In some cases the FD are the only ones able to due to politics and financing. It seemed like a post earlier that someone felt as though NO FD should even think about running EMS. That was the one thing that I was talking about. In small, rural areas like mine the FD must run medical b/c if we didn't then noone would and you know what happens when it takes 45 min. to get an EMS team to a Level 1 trauma.

And as for you knowing why i'm not on the FD here. I'm glad that you know so much about my life. Sounds like I should marry you instead of my fiancee.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

www.helpingourown.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Code Blue,

So are you proposing? I'm very high maintenance. Anyways, sorry for the misunderstanding, it's a pretty dumb thing to argue about anyway. I should be agreeing with you, since I know plenty of guys in my depts who are just around to say they are FFs, especially after Sept 11.

To answer the guy's original question, I believe you can get a used bus for around $20-30g depending on the options you want. I have no idea what it would cost to outfit it, but my guess is above estimates are close to actual cost. You should look in used apparatus magazines, I think "Fire Apparatus" has a lot of used rigs/busses. In PA, we have a "Pennsylvania Firefighter" (I think) that always has tons of used apparatus for sale. If you are looking new, you are probably looking around 2-3X the price. I know my dept in NY is still paying off the loan on our one bus, while the same busses sell used for half of what we paid.

Forum Member

Well I dont think I can deal with the future Mrs. will like that very much. She's enough for me.

As for the rig, one of my paod services is using a 91 Wheeled Coach they picked up for something like $7-8000. It's a type II but if you're not planning on running many calls it would be a start until people realize what you are doing and might be willing to help with donations.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

www.helpingourown.com

Keep in mind that you can't just buy a rig and start transporting people, depending on where you are you may need a transport liscense or something similiar, you also need nationally registered EMS providers. Your rig must also meet the minimum requirements for your state and have certain equipment on it and be inspected yearly by a state agency in most cases. Don't get me wrong, I say go for it, but it may not be as easy as you might think. I've been a Firefighter (volly) for 20 years and a 1st responder for 3 years and transporting about as long and I enjoy it more than I thought I would, not to mention I have more to offer my community. You can see our rigs on the photo section of www.newmarketnh.com/fire
    David Brooks,
    Captain, NRFR
    Newmarket Fire & Rescue
    Newmarket, New Hampshire
    http://www.NewmarketFire.com
    (All opinions are my own)

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

We have an ambulance and I wouldn't get rid of it for the world. We don't transport much if at all - we technically got it to do backup for the county EMS service. When they are out of units we go with a paramedic fly car and transport. That rarely happens.

What is it good for? 2 very important things:

1. Your people
    2. Your bank account

People: Whenever we have a big scene (big wreck, dive call, trench etc.) it goes. That way I know there is a transport unit there and ready to go if one of my own gets hurt.

Bank Account: This is how we get a huge amount of cash. We do everything from football games and corporate picnics to races (NASCAR, motocross and runners) and the annual March of Dimes Rubber Duck Regatta (picture 7,000 rubber duckies headed down the river at you ). For the majority of these things we get $200 and up. We do some freebies for charitible organizations - but for the most part we raise a good amount of cash for little or no effort - just time.

You do have to keep your people and their EMS certifications up to date - but it's worth it in the long run. They get a tax break for the 'donation' and you get some desperately needed money. Being that we are not on a tax base we do what we can.
    Susan Lounsbury
    Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
    Griffith Volunteer FD

Forum Member

2. Your bank account
    Buying a $70,000 ambulance requires lots and lots of $200 + fund raisers...

MembersZone Subscriber

Granted - it does require a lot of fundraisers to earn your money back, but I'm thinking long term. With limited 'easy' use - not running emergency calls all the time it will last a very long time.

Our having it also helps with the funding we get on an annual basis from the county since we do provide that backup service "just in case".

When we got it we saw it as an investment in something that will continuously make us money over the long term - and so far it's served it's purpose.
    Susan Lounsbury
    Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
    Griffith Volunteer FD

And still, no one has adressed EMT burnout from riding these "Taxpayer Taxis." If you don't have one, my advice is leave well enough alone. If you do have one (like my station with over 3000 ambulance calls) then do what you can to educate your taxpayers on the uses of it.

Forum Member

Last year we bought a brand new Braun. We bought it with an E-450 Chasis. Its the top of the line Braun, cost us I think right around 130,000. Somewhere between 120,000 and 130,000, but you wouldn't have to go all out like we did. Its a nice rig let me tell ya though. It came with some stuff. Full Code 3 Lighting system, um and Sirens. Thats about it. We had to install all radios, and all supplies, which were just moved from the old rig to the new one, and stuff like that. Its nice. We got the hydraulic lift of oxygen bottle, you don't need that really. But nice stuff to have sometimes.

If you were really interested we just sold our 1993 Ford E-350 for 7500 bucks I do belive, somewhere in that ballpark, I don't watch the money, lol not my job, bad in math, but anyways it was a nice rig. Had about 87000 miles on it. Sold it to Jamestown a paid department nearby.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Forum Member

If you will consider a used truck. Affordable Fire Equipment in Oklahoma can put you in a really nice truck for just a little $$$
    Call them at 1-800-947-9503.
    Brian Cook
    Asst. Chief

Question

The $100,000.00 number is in the right ball park. You also need to consider the cost if training your EMT's. In Ohio the National Registery course will run you around $300 to $400.00 a head and 4 to 6 months to complete. The advanced course is more and takes longer to do. I don't know where you are in Ill. but Horton in Columbus Ohio has a superior product. We have 2 4x4 type 1's ((box with pick-up front)1 Ford,1 GMC) and have had very little trouble with them. You can get less expensive units but the quality is not there. Our dept has 38 members, all volunteer. Of the 38, 16 are also EMT's and 7 new EMT students who just tested. We run in the neighborhood of 375 ems runs a year and 110 fire related runs.
    Lt. Homer

Code blue hit it right on the head. But to answer your ? our 2000 full mod w/ extin. cab came in at around 82,000

Forum Member

thanx for all the replies. this post came from a discussion we had at one of our fire meetings. our depts doesnt have a ambulance but there is a bigger town that has a few paid guys and a couple busses. last year they lost like 400,000+ dollars running calls for other depts and stuff. well now they want to raise there charges for running calls for these smaller depts. well for how much money they lost and how much they are complaining i was mad when they just bought a 90+ thousand dollar ambulance. now before u jump down my throught for being mad they bought something to help peeps u should know that there other 2 busses are like 98 or 99's i dont think they would be that bad after only 3 or 4 years. but if we have an accident in our district the county 911 dispatches them and they roll 1 bus, 1 pumper, 1 heavy rescue, and a cop. if they would dispatch us they could let the other fd roll the cop and bus and rescue along with us we could be at the accident by the time there equipment was just getting to the edge of town and let them know if they even needed the bus or rescue because in illinois( as in all the other states) u have to report accidents to the cops for insurance purposes. yes this is the county dispatch screwup but the chief of this dept. is the E911 chairman for the county and hasnt done nothing about it yet. we had a trustees meeting with him last week and i havent found out how that turned out yet.
    Last edited by firefighterox; 07-11-2002 at 01:57 PM.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Thread Information