Thread: Advice please

Question Advice please

A city near me is hiring dispatchers. I was wondering if anybody could give me any info on what all the job details and if anyone has any advice on how I might go about getting the job over others. Thanks!
    Who cares if we are volunteer or paid? Not the fire. We fight fire not each other. Get it straight my brothers and sisters.

Sr. Information Officer

Post Telecommunicating

Some good tips can be found at 911Dispatch.com

http://www.911dispatch.com/train_fil...ning_menu.html

Go for it...and Good luck!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

What the job entails is more then can fit on this board. The best way to learn about it, is to do some sit-a-longs in the center you want to get hired at. They shouldn't be opposed to that. Also if you don't have one already get a scanner and listen to it all the time. This will help you develop your "radio" ears. Make sure you can handle what will be expected of you before you apply. Not everyone can do this job. As far as getting the job over others, that is somewhat difficult. Do you have any experience? What kind of education do you have? Most 911 centers provide training after a person gets hired. There's not much one can do to get more qualified priot to getting the job, although there are colleges that offer programs and even associate degrees in public safety communications now. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thread Information