Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ahrens Fox - HME Fire Apparatus

The Fox Line is going to take a huge bite out of the chickens!

I will post more later but Whoa was I impressed!

They are very well constructed 12 guage material. These units are truly engineered and not just built by the guys/girls in the shop. There was a great deal of thought put into these units. The body id bolted together so if a piece needs replacing it can be done wihout using bondo and having to "feather" in paint. The valves are mostly accessable from the panel openings. The pulls are a straight pull in one plane. The pulls are mounted on a C channel and not just on the S/S panel. The running boards are S/S and not diamond plate. The body and tank are completely independent the body is mounted on flexible mounts. A through the tank ladder storage is standard with a slot for a backboard. The hosebed does not need one of those pesky crossbars to hold the body together.

I have had a group of favorites prior to seeing these units but, these companies have been absorbed into the large manufacturers. There are now only two stainless steel manufactures that I could now support.

I truly belive that these units are a credit to the Ahrens Fox name they are very well built and will stand the test of time.

Last edited by Fyrtrks; 05-20-2002 at 09:17 AM.
    Fyrtrks

I haven't seen one of the new Foxes yet. Does anyone know of a town that has actually placed one in service this year?

Forum Member

those features on the A-fox are not new. lots of others use them too. The bolted body is not new (Customfire, sutphen, toyne and others), the C channel to hold the valve pulls are not new (darley, toyne, others). SS running boards are done by S&S, US tanker. I haven't seen a hose bed that needs a crossbar in years.Everybody can do a through the tank ladder storage (they're made by the tank builder ie upf, propoly, cfp).
    i wonder if the other body builders (especially Central States) will abandon hme now. at least spartan had the sense to not "direct compete"

Default I never said these things were New

I know those things are not new, I did not say that they were new. I don't think the other builders will abandon HME. The build a fine chassis I think even better than Spartan. Yes it was a gamble to compete with others but the product is better than the competition it is truly a step up in my opinion.
    Fyrtrks

HME still doesn't have anything on their web site regarding any Ahrens-Fox deliveries. Still hoping to hear of one in service somewhere!

Clueless Polack ringing in here....

The article I read on that said that the Ahrens-Fox logo is going to be on HME 1871-SLe cabs only.

We are expecting delivery of an HME 1871-SLE in July/August (got pushed back from June). Should this new truck contain the HME Ahrens-Fox logo or is this something something that has to be ordered?
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Cool Ahrens-Fox Rigs

My guess is that will have the A-F logo if you ordered the completed rig through HME. My understanding is that they are currently having the bodies built by a sub-contractor and that a plant expansion is under way that will allow them to build complete units in Michigan in 2003.

By the way Adze, those are impressive credentials. What is the proper show of respect for your rank(s), salute or kiss the ring!

Takre care,

Steve

Both.
    IACOJ Agitator

We have two HME 1871 SLe chassised rigs her and theres no A&F logo on them so I'm guessing you have to order them.

Yeah, but when did you get them? This is something that they just started recently.
    IACOJ Agitator

The "official" announcement of the new A-F line was at FDIC in Indianapolis in April. I would imagine that the logo won't be on any apparatus ordered prior to then. Also, in Fire Apparatus magazine there is an article in the current issue that talks about Ahrens-Fox, now if I can just get my hands on a copy....

We got them in November and January.

Forum Member

First complete HME Fox delivered

http://www.apexvfd.org/photos/hme_pumper/hme.html

It's not an Ahrens-Fox

The Ahrens-Fox is only gonna be on 1871-SLe's. The rig there is a 1871-SFO. You might have been confused because of the "SilverFox".
    IACOJ Agitator

I asked a Captain today...we're not getting an Ahrens-Fox. Our body is being made by Central States and the Ahrens-Fox is an HME-made body.
    IACOJ Agitator

Forum Member

The Apex rig is the first ALL HME truck (and the first in their "Fox' lines) delivered to a department, which given the topic I thought was a wee bit relevant.

Default HME/AFox

It appears that you are all about correct. The HME Ahrens-Fox is actually an HME Chassis with a body that has been adopted by HME for sale as an Ahrens-Fox. Not quite ALL HME. The body is in actuality a Westates Fire Apparatus body. Stamped by Westates and shipped to HME. All Stainless Steel, all bolted design. This body style has been installed on HME chassis for years and is in long term use on the West Coast. Westates Fire Apparatus is located in Woodland, CA. The body is a good body. Very few problems. I have seen a couple bodies that have been involved in heavy accident damage and would consider not worth saving. Bad panels were unbolted and new panels installed. The units are back on the road and look like new. The one drawback that I see is that if you bend or dent the stainless steel panels, you cannot repair them, only replace them. However, there is no need for paint, as they are plain SS finished.

The State of California Governors Office of Emergency Services (OES) has recently placed some 30 units in service and have another equal amount on order. The units are placed throughout the State. I have one of these OES units in my department, plus one HME-SFO 4X4 Westates in service. The OES unit recently went, as part of a Strike team, to the Fires in Colorado and AZ. Gone for 3 weeks and in some extreme environments. Ours came home with no problems encountered. A credit to OES Fleet Operations Assistant Chief Paul Beckstrom and his apparatus committee for good specs. And, the next generation is much better than the first two generations. They keep getting better.

The SS running boards on these units have VERY aggressive anti slip surfaces. For many FF, it is TOO aggressive. It takes some getting used to. For Mechanics, it is damaging to knees when kneeling on the stuff for long periods. We all have kneeling boards to place over the runningboards.

Link to http://www.westates-body.com

Respectfully submitted,

A.D.(Tony)Bulygo
    Santa Clara County Fire Department

Forum Member

Question Any New News on This Line

Good Morning,

Any new news on this Topic. Was thinking about it this morning and went back to dig the topic out of the closet. Let me know?

Thanks
    GB

Forum Member

Geez did a search and this old topic came up . Since no body here has brought this back up in a while i might as well .

We just took delivery of an all hme truck in september . It is a solid truck great layout and looks pretty good for only having the doors painted on the body .
    Only thing about this rig is i hate the gator grip crap on the rear tailboard that crap will cut ya up quick if you happen to come in hard contact with it .

Ok as for the ahrensfox / silverfox lines . Hell our new pumper has both names on it so i dont know what the difference is supposed to be ???

Here is a pic of that tailboard its bit me once so far

Anyone out there run an HME SFO chassis (SFO - Short Front Overhang)

Our department demo'd one and were impressed with the manueverablility

Thread Information