Thread: Minitor III (3)

Default Minitor III (3)

Im thinking about getting a minitor three. I would like imput on them, what do you guys think about em.

Miller
    Jeremy Miller
    Truxton Fire Dept

Well, all i have heard about them in our Dept. is that they junk. We have had nothin but problems with them. They say that they dont pick up hardly anything, like you have to rotate them around just to pick up a good signal. So, my opinon along with my Dept. would be, dont waste you money. In fact, if you are against them go to www.randolphfire.org and you can email us and we will be submitting a complaint to Motorola.
    Visit us at http://www.randolphfire.org

Forum Member

i can only speak for myself and i can say i havent had any problems with mine. but again i can only speak for myself
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

JeepFireNY
    Firehouse.com Guest

I've heard a few reports from other depts. that they are giving them some problems. I'm sticking with my Minitor II which has given me no problems.

are department has them and i never heard anything bad about them. I think that they look better then the II and i like the vibrate feature they have . Since im a cadet i only have the minitorII but if i had the money i would by the III
    Jeff Gurski

MembersZone Subscriber

The Minitor IV is out I'd skip the III and try the IV. While my III hasn't given me any problems a lot of guys have had nothing but problems with their III's.

Missed calls, reset prior to call comming in, knobs falling off...

Again mine has been fine, but their must be a reason Motorola has come out with another new pager so fast after the III

I am on my 3rd Minitor III. I have had almost all of the problems listed. Missed calls, knobs falling off, knob getting bumped and switching chanels and just plain stopped working. I would either stick with the Minitor II or wait for the Minitor 4.

I have had a Minitor III for 5 years now. The only problem with it (other than the factory recall) was a knob broke off, but was replaced with a new casing fairly easily. It picks up transmissions my HT1250 doesn't and I can wear it anywhere. I have heard the Minitor IVs solve the knob problem that everyone speaks about. However, they will cost mucho dollars and you can get a brand new Minitor III on ebay for less than 200.00. Good luck!

We have 60 minitor III's on our dept. In fact, I am in charge of them. I have been mailing any where from 5-15 of them weekly. Half of my guys are having to make due with the broken buttons. From my experience, half of the problem is the pager, the other half is Motorola. I can't tell you how many come back and get sent right back because they aren't programmed correctly. I wouldn't reccomend them to anyone, no matter what the price.

Our entire department uses the Minitor III, and we have had almost no problems with them. We have had none of the issues like knobs falling off, missed calls, etc. Maybe we're just lucky, but for my money, I'll stick with them.

Default Minitor III

I know that Motorloa had some "over-seas" problems like a fire at their factory, a flood at the Malaysia factory and they did have a recall on certain model numbers of the Minitor III. I have been trying to find the article but if you go to www.motorola.com you will find the info on the recall. The big thing like someone else had mentioned, was the price. You can buy a good HT for the price of the Minitor III. I buy all the communications equipment and I have had no problems. I do enjoy the dual frequency and that they are programmable from a computer. Otherwise go to the Motorola site and see what you can find. Good luck

Forum Member

W'e've had problem's with not picking up that good and knobs coming off. Then one of them lost it's programming
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Thumbs down

We have purchased III's for our department and they have not been a big hit. Low band receivers are troublesome. But a big problem we found is that our new E-One Rescue/Engine has an electronic conflict with our freq. 2 - 46.220. The sensitivity of the III's is always locking up when you come into station. E-One has stepped on their appendage on this one. The problem blankets New York because 46.220 is a state wide freq. E-One knows of the problem but they have not the technical expertise to fix it.
    Our members have also experianced receving problems resulting in them missing alarms. I wonder if Motorola is prepared for the legal issues that could stem from a missed alarm that could result in a negitive outcome?

Default Minotor III's Junk with a capital "J"

My department had recently just purchased Minitor 3 pagers due to the wearing out of some of our Minitor 2's. After a few months of using them I can actually say they are probably the worst piece of junk motorola has ever made. Our pagers were only activating by our siren tone because we have a retransmitter at the station for that specific tone. As far as activation without using the inter departemental system anytime the 911 center would transmit our tones for a Chief officer or a general page without the siren they would rarely activate it all depended on where you were standing at the time.
    At first we thought the county was having problems with there system but it did not figure to be. The bottom line is they are junk in my opinion and I see where motorola had come out with the minitor 4. I suppose that will be another piece of junk made by them. It always seems motorola always quits manufacturing all there good products like the minitor 2. In closing I think the fire departments should write to motorola complaining and tell them they need to bring back the minitor 2 pager. It is also my understanding by the end of this year motorola is to be done manufacturing personal paging systems and then where are we going to turn to. Chief 1010!!!

I have heard from pretty much all the guys I know that have them that they hate them. The knobs break off easily, and they just dont work as well. They usually end up going back to the II's

Default Just got 3 minitor 3's

WEll my dept just purchased 3 minitor 3's this month and so far they seem to be working ok, i only wish the alert on them was a little louder, but all in all they are a decent looking pager. I will agree that the 2's were good, but face it they are phasing out fast, it is very hard to get parts for them, the belt clips seem to break off reletivly easy and then u have to buy a whole new case, which now is very hard to do. We did get a really good deal on the 3's though all 3 of them with 4 channles for under 900$ with the fours coming be ready to pay big and from what i have heard all the fours are is a 3 with a fancier looking case......until someone comes along and builds a better pager we will jsut have to deal with these.

Thumbs up Minitor III's working just fine

Our department recently went from Minitor II's converted from lowband to UHF, and now Minitor III's, as the person that works on them, I havent had as many problems with the III's as the II's.
    CCVFD D.Singletary
    F.F.# 2197
    Communications Coordinator

"Aggressive Interior Attack"

I have a III and i have not had any problems with mine. I like the fact that its got so many programming options, i have only missed one call and i think that i probably would have missed it with any pager due to the fact i was indoors in a walk in freezer. I like it and never had anyone in my dept. have any problems.
    This statements made above do not represent the agency i belong to in any shape or form. So if i say something stupid its just me.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

we've run into the same problems everyone else has had. we also have problems when we are near a soda machine or a cash register. the III has a lot of good ideas but the hardware just doesn't work. i can't wait to see the IV's and see if there really is an improvement.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

I say Bring Back the Original Minitor [You know the One...Looked like a Garage Door Opener] -- Or better yet the Motorola Page-Com -- I carried the Minitor I for years and never had one single problem - Our company still has a couple of these rellics in the office --- Funny thing is that they work better than the Minitor III's we bought

BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL.....BRING BACK THE I

Thumbs down minitor 3's

i can tell u first hand that the minitor 3 is no good we just spent 1,ooo.oo's of dollars on them and u can not hear a thing on them so i would stay with minitor 1 or 2 thank you
    sean noonan
    west clinton co # 1
    statsburgh new york
    sean

Forum Member

1 & 2 parts are becoming scarce. The 3 has been replaced by the 4, which changed the knobs to prevent accidental movement. I have been trying to maintain a fleet of 2's, and they are not much better than what I have heard about the 3's. Must have got a Friday after lunch batch of 'em.

Dave

Default Minitor IV Order

A follow-Up --- Just found out that my company ordered 6 of the Minitor IV Units. So in the next 4-6 weeks we'll find out how well they work I suppose

I had a III...i dont like it for the most part because on A i am supposed to get just fire calls...I get both fire and EMS...B is supposed to be where I get both fire and EMS...I like the vibrate option I can turn on in class...but the reception has problems sometimes...overall I think its ok as long as the settings are alright...but Motorola came out with IV and I assume they fixed the gripes on the III on these...I might check those out
    Firefighter, Gettysburg Fire Department
    Adams County Pennsylvania Company 1

My wife and I have one each of the III's. Mine doesn't pick up radio traffic very well and the buttons have come off twice.

I do like the vibrate feature.

I also miss my Minitor 2.
    Another lifetime volunteer proud to serve my community.

Thread Information