Default pressure govenors vs pressure relief valves

This didn't get much response in the engineers forum so I thought I'd try it here.I recently switched departments and went from apparatus equipped with pressure regulators to apparatus with pressure relief valves. I think that i like the pressure regulators more (alot more) but this may be becuase I have spent so much more time with them and therefore am more comfortable with them. What I am looking for is for folks to compare and contrast the advantages and disadvantages of each. Most of the people I currently work with have only used pressure relief valves and can't justify their use over pressure regulators. To me the pressure relief valve is old technology. With the pressure regulator the changes in engine rpm as lines are open and closed give me as an operator a much clearer idea of what is going with my lines. This combined with the engines ability to throttle engine speed down when transferring from tank water to the hydrant make the pressure regulator the obvious choice when specing new apparatus. Not to mention the ability to throttle up to support additional lines as they are placed in service.I would appreciate any info.

Forum Member

We have two older rigs that have pressure relief valves and one brand new one that we just placed in service that has a pressure governor. I've trained on the new one, but haven't had a chance to use in on the fireground yet. Based on what I've experienced so far, I can't really think of any good operational reaspon to pick a pressure relief valve over a pressure governor. I can do everything I need to do with either the relief or the governor, and the governor is easier to work with.

This probably doesn't help you much, but that's all I can give you right now.

Forum Member

My Dept has both, with governors on all the front line engines, but still have pressure relief valves on spares and ladder trucks. The governors win hands down, for all the reasons you mention. We got our first on on a 93 Pierce, it gets run every day and nothing has ever gone wrong with the governor. Meanwhile, the pressure relief valves are being rebuilt every six months or so.(Mostly the on/off pilot valve is the problem). Even if they don't understand the operational difference, they may see the $$.

Thread Information