Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Wife has a project...and I need your advice (but don't tell her I asked)!

My wife has “asked” that I look into buying an above-ground pool for “the kids” to play in this summer. Never mind the fact that it just-so-happens that her parents don’t have a pool anymore as of this year…coincidence? I think not.

Anyway, I’m trying to educate myself somewhat before I talk to a salesman because I don’t want to sound like an idiot, and I don’t want to get raked over the coals, either.

So…anybody want to throw some things at me as far as what to do and what NOT to do? I want to put this thing up myself (how hard can it be? LOL) and I’d like to know if anybody has done this.

Basically, I don’t have a freakin’ clue what I’m doing and I’ve got just enough knowledge to think it all sounds real reasonable.

Thanks.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan's Avatar

Talking

RING...RING....Hello, Mrs. Silver City? Your never going to believe what your husband did! Well he placed a message on a forum...............
    "Never mistake knowledge for intelligence; it is like mistaking a cup of milk for an entire cow."-Thomas Jefferson

I.A.C.O.J. Member and F.A.R.T.'s local 4 founding member

Mama said she only raised one fool.....Hey wait a minute I'm an ONLY CHILD???

Forum Member

Upgrade on the liner...lasts longer.

Sand filter works well...easiest to maintain.

Walls are walls....the rolled aluminum usually are covered for20 or 30 years......vs the extruded that are covered for like 50 but cost a ton more. You have to figure out how long you want the thing.

Get a robot for cleaning..........definitely.

Feel free to email me with any other questions. I have had two above grounds and now have an inground.

Dave

husses@gis.net

I know of a department that has a 3000 gallon portable tank just sittiing in its storage that they might be willing to part with for a few cases of beer (Canadian beer) or a bottle of rum...

Anyway, we used to have an above ground pool... 15 foot diamater, 3.5 feet deep.. didn't cost much, but was a pain to put up (takes 6 people or more)... it was alright, sorta blew up one day... and no, it has never been proven that it was me or my small explosives (shut-up two-7). Back to the pool: it was one of those Walmart specials and lasted a handfull of years.

It was sorta nice to climb in after dinner when the water was just right, especially with a cold frosty something-or-other in your hand ....

Also made a great spot to fill our tanker from if needed
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks so far guys.

Reference the inflatable-type pools--sounds a little too easy. Do those things actually hold up? After some discussion on the matter last night, my wife (I mean, "the kids") just want something to cool off in. The inflatable pools are much cheaper and has the Wife's-Seal-of-Approval.

I mentioned that there are several ponds within walking distance on our place, but she didn't seem to like the idea for some reason...
    Bryan Beall

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

ya know, for some odd reason in texas we don't have ponds, we have tanks. imagine my confusion when i went to montana and they showed me a pond, i couldn't help from laughing.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Hey Silver City... are you going to build a deck around it? Makes it look great... wife will love it. Kids can be in the pool, while you are relaxing. Of course there is that little thing that if you have too much to drink it is much easier to fall in it.

Sorry don't know anything about inflatibles. Make sure no matter what you get, that the ground where you put it is level. I know it sounds like a given, but check it again before you go to put it up... trust me....

Forum Member

Hey Silver... if you're looking at an inflatable you probably won't find one four feet deep like the doughboy types, soooooo you're in OK I see, get down to the farm and home, pick you up a 10' steel stock tank, get a filter system at Wally World. Pull that dude off the truck onto some relatively level ground, fill it, filter it, and the kids will be swimming in a couple of hours. At the end of the season drain it, put it up on it's side against the barn 'till next year and do it again.
    Have fun, Frank

MembersZone Subscriber truck6alpha's Avatar

Go to the station that has a portable drafting tank. Borrow it. Go to your station that has your collapse shoring stuff. Borrow some lumber from the cache and the air nailer. Take all to backyard. Nail together lumber around drafting tank. Voila- instant pool.

You could even post pictures of it and firefighters would laugh. Firehouse might even do a feature story on it. Your wife, however, might not be as impressed. On second thought...
    Michael "Mick" Mayers
    Acting Director, Urban Search and Rescue
    South Carolina Emergency Response Task Force
    www.sctf1.sc.gov

Default Seriously, though...

My chauffeur is installing a pool as we speak. He said spring for the extra and get the in-floor cleaning system (we don't know the technical term, but I'm sure any pool salesman will know what I'm referring to). It's like a yard sprinkler head on every surface under the water. It pops up and cleans the surface and all of the debris and detritus is swept magically into the drain. No muss, no fuss.
    Michael "Mick" Mayers
    www.sctf1.sc.gov

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey truck6alpha, (looks around to see if wife is looking) I call the shots around my house!
    Bryan Beall

Forum Member

........and my wife says so!

Dave

Default go figure

ya know, for some odd reason in texas we don't have ponds, we have tanks.
    And, oddly enough, in Texas AND Oklahoma, we don't have tenders, we have tankers.
    Asst. Chief Bill

International Order of the Fraternal Brotherhood of the Club

Somewhere in or near north central Creek County, Oklahoma

Forum Member

Lightbulb

And in Arkansas we don't have Engines... we have Pumpers.
    Chief Frank Rizzio
    Pea Ridge Fire Dept.
    Pea Ridge AR. 72751

When it comes to household "projects", we always have the last two words in determining whether they get done or not...and the last two words are usually...

Yes, dear!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Silver,

Don't forget the 5" draft pipe!

Default WOW

THE Frank Rizzo??? (Actually, I did a double take and saw the spelling was different). Do you get that a lot?

(For those not in the know, Frank Rizzo used to be the Mayor of Philadelphia and his brother Joe was the Fire Commissioner).
    Michael "Mick" Mayers
    www.sctf1.sc.gov

Forum Member

most of today's generation don't know about "Rizzo's Warriors", they usually associate it with the Beastie Boys... but yeah, I get it alot.
    It's cool, but commonly misspelled.

P.S. on the subject of pools, last evening we had a call to a 23yo that dove head first into a 3' deep pool (plenty of ETOH on board), he got an expensive drunk, what with the helicopter ride, CT scan , ER bill, Radiologists, Therapy, etc. Now I ask you... what kind of dumb***** is that??
    seeya, Frank
    Chief Frank Rizzio
    Pea Ridge Fire Dept.
    Pea Ridge AR. 72751

MembersZone Subscriber

You mean I can't dive into a 3 foot pool?!

Well, crap.

I think we're going to try on of those inflatable thingies first. That will tell me if my family is going to actually use it. If not, I'm not out as much money and it's easy to tear down.
    Bryan Beall

Default Pool Games

I've got another one- here on our lovely resort Island, we get the worst kind of idiots. Last summer we had to work a guy who was drinking and he and his buds decided to see who could hold their breath underwater the longest. Needless to say, this guy won. Being the stalwart guys we are, we resuscuitated him. Thus another story of Hilton Head Island Special Operations, and another reason why our motto is:

"We interfere with natural selection."
    Michael "Mick" Mayers
    www.sctf1.sc.gov

Thread Information