Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

Default Oldest, continuous working Firehouse?!

I am interested in finding the where abouts of the oldest and continuous working firehouse in the nation. I know of two in Charleston, SC that have been in operation since 1887-88. They were built after the Charleston Earthquake of 1886 that severely damaged most of the departments engine houses. These houses were purchased in 1882 from the volunteer companies of Charleston because a fully paid department was going to be created. Why not use the existing equipment and engine houses already in the city?! There were 3 stations built. They were Cannon Street, Meeting and Wentworth Street and Meeting and Chalmers Street. The only 2 surviving stations are Cannon Street and Central Station (Meeting and Wentworth). they have been in continuous operation since 1887-88.

Does anyone know of one that has been operating longer than that?

This is not bragging rights... I am doing historical research.

Thanks!
    Grant Mishoe, Captain
    North Charleston Fire Department
    Editor for www.SCONFIRE.com

The firehouse that I belong to is up there with the oldest in New York State. Rescue, Hook, Ladder & Bucket Co. #1 was formed in 1879. The fire company existed before the formation of our town in its older name Pearsall's Corner, it also existed before the formation of Nassau County, at the time the whole area was still Queens County. The orignal firehouse still stands today, but it now has an extention off the back to accomodate the larger trucks. You can see more about the firehouse at www.lynbrookfd.org
    " truck till the casket drops "

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

Tom, I checked out your webpage and I must say that Lynbrook FD is a very impressive department. I really like the apparatus and I love the fact that the "Truckies" have a place to go and escape all that Hose! I am visiting NYC in July and would like to visit your department. How afar away from NYC are you located, how busy are you and do you allow people from other states to bunk-in or ride along???
    You Waste your time, YOUR LINE IS MINE!

One of the oldest firehouses in Canada, if not the oldest, is the number 3 firehall in Quebec City. It was built in 1893 and has been in continual service since. Of course it was renovated to accomodate larger trucks, but it still keeps the same appearance.

Originally posted by CW7704
    Tom, I checked out your webpage and I must say that Lynbrook FD is a very impressive department. I really like the apparatus and I love the fact that the "Truckies" have a place to go and escape all that Hose! I am visiting NYC in July and would like to visit your department. How afar away from NYC are you located, how busy are you and do you allow people from other states to bunk-in or ride along???

thanks for the compliments, our trucks are top notch and you can see by the styles and color scemes that we are individual companies. we pride ourselves for being in seperate houses but we're still able to work together for the most part. we are about 20-30 min outside of NYC and our town is accessible by the Long Island Rail Road, We're not the busiest dept, we dont have any ride along or bunk in programs. We dont sleep there, just hang out like its our second home. We do meet on a regular basis on sunday morning's at 10 am and tuesday nights at 7 pm. Visitors are welcome for the most part.
    " truck till the casket drops "

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

Default Oldest Fire House

The Union Fire Co #1 Carlisle Pa has been in continuious operation since 1789. This is verified by the minute books from the first meeting in April 1789. The Companys Charter or name has not been changed since 1789. They were incorporated by a special act of the Pa Legislature in 1840 as a non-profit (most likely the oldest incorporated volunteer fire dept in the state of Pa), part of their 4th house built in 1888 is now a Fire Museum while the rest of the building and an addition (built in 1977) is the operations part of the buildings. The building has been featured in 2 published books about fire house design and construction. The Museum part of the building is in near orignal condition.
    Some Photos can be seen on our website at
    Union Fire Co
    Last edited by pres41; 05-27-2002 at 07:20 AM.
    Pres41 (Pete)
    pres41@aol.com

You can also check out the station I belong to, Haddon Fire Company #1 in Haddonfield, N.J. it has been in continuious operation since 1764. This is verified as the second oldest volunteer fire department in continuious service in US the oldest being Relief Hose Company in Mount Holly, N.J.

No web page yet, we're still working on that, at 238 years of age you get alittle slow

But we do have a museum, inwhich we keep two of the first handpumpers that the company operated, one from 1818 and the other from 1873, both are still operational .

Robert B.
    Haddon Fire Company #1
    member since 1980
    Last edited by NJTF1Bowman; 05-27-2002 at 08:38 AM.

I think if you check close the one in Mt Holly New Jersy has changed its name and Charter at least once in its history therefore negating its continuious service claim, but I could be wrong
    Pres41 (Pete)
    pres41@aol.com

Default This old house

The oldest station still in operation in the City of New Bedford, MA is Station 6, which was built in 1882. Unfortunately, a new modern addition was added to it in 2000 to accommodate a new ladder truck that would not fit in the original building. Although the addition works well for the new truck, it's too bad it ruined the look of a nice old New England fire station.

Old Station 6

New Station 6

Other old New Bedford stations

Originally posted by pres41
    I think if you check close the one in Mt Holly New Jersy has changed its name and Charter at least once in its history therefore negating its continuious service claim, but I could be wrong
    I won't get into that....

The station is a museum without any working apparatus stationed in it, they are having their 250th parade this July 14th....

Forum Member

In New York State, City of Newburgh's Engine Co. 3 at 492 Broadway opened its doors in 1866, been open and serving continuously since then.

Thread Information