Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maximum Members

Default Maximum Members

I have talked to a local vollie dept. here in the town that my fiancee and I live in and have come to find out that they have a full roster of 35 FFs. I am now on a waiting list that they say could take up to 2 years to go through. I was wondering if any of your depts. have a maximum # of members. If so what is the most you can have and what do you do about memeber that aren't that active.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

MembersZone Subscriber

For some reason, departments set up like ours (not-for-profit charitable organizations) are limited to 20 volunteers per station. I think this has to do with the insurance we carry. We are insured through the State of Oklahoma.

We just reached the 20 member mark (finally!!) and it hasn't been a problem yet. If we get a couple more young bucks, we've got a few members that came onboard only as drivers when we formed five years ago to help out. They'll step down gladly.

If things progress and we have more people wanting to be volunteers than we have slots (that kind of problem I like), I figure you'll see more attention paid to availability, meetings and training attended, etc.

One of our mutual aid department has a paid driver on supplemented by volunteers who respond to the station for calls. They can have crew of four on the first-out engine in under five minutes. They have a two-year waiting list as well.

Move to Silver City CodeBlue, and I'll hook you up!
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

In my department we have a full roster of 30 people. In addition to this we usually have two or three extra people who are welcome to watch our trainings and sometimes participate in them, but are not allowed to go on calls. This works out well for us because we don't get overstaffed with people, yet when a position opens up, we have someone who can fill it almost immediately. It also allows us to more efficiently train our people and ensures our roster has only people who are dedicated, and not just volunteering because it "sounds like fun."

We are a paid per call dept. 20 rostered members.

We have performance requirements in our Policy as well as disiplinary systems in place.

Those who consume only air, can be dealt with quickly.

90% work by the rules and when they can't pull the load, or life curcumstances change they will step down to allow others in that can do the time or work.

The reasons for limits. To ensure a dedicated team. Maintain costs of gear and training and to be able to provide the training to those that will actually use it. (All our gear, coveralls, uniforms are provided and maintained by municipality).

I know depts with 50 - 60 menbers. Only 10 are active but they have 60 members.
    No roster, No control.

Smile dead wood, HOPEFULLY not ME

When my department originally filed for a state charter of incorporation it set a maximum number of firefighters. Our maximum is 125 and in days of old there use to be a waiting list. Currently this is not a problem. We have been holding between 85 and 95 members for the past few years.

As to getting rid of the "dead wood" { Hopefully I will never become one} All members must meat annual points for calls, training, and meetings. If a member falls short, he may submit an excuse, but that is no guarantee and you can only submit 3 excuses. If you don't submit the excuse or are deamed to be "dead wood" you are dropped from the roles.

Keep Safe,

James

MembersZone Subscriber NCRSQ751's Avatar

Talking

I wish I had such problems!

We have trouble recruiting new members that want to put in the time and effort into the training! I imagine there would come a point where you would have trouble supporting too many members, I don't think I'm quite there yet though!
    Susan Lounsbury
    Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
    Griffith Volunteer FD

Like most of you all, We wished we had the problems of a waiting list as we had in the past, when our max was 50 members on the active side of the department, which did not count the members that were active and went social.
    Currently we stay atabout 25-30 members, however we do allow people from outside of the village to join, and that number can not exceed 20 % of the total membership.
    We have changed our pattern also to allow people to join that wish to run strictly EMS, which totals 90% of our call volume.
    Also as mentioned earlier, when we signed the inital charter for the department our total was set then at 50 active members. We can change the total amount by addressing the charter, but it is unlikely to have to come to that these days.

KEEP DOING IT FOR THE RIGHT REASONS!!!!!!!!

we were at 30..........but went to city council and got the charter changed to 35......we are full and have a waiting list. we have no inactive members or social body members............you get on, you do ......or get off .............it is that simple ......
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

At my volly house there is no set limit for the # of members. When I first joined there 6 yrs ago, we would routinely turn out 12-18 members for a structure fire or even a BS call. Now we can't sometimes even get 6-10. Between people retiring and dead wood becoming deader along with the drop off in people looking to volunteer, the more the merrier is the theme. Also people come by and don't realize what a commitment it is and the training and preparation to do the job, they stay for a few months and drop off.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking limits

We are set at 26 due to the cost of out fitting the vols with gear and radios etc. etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Whoops, gotta retract my statement earlier.

Not-for-profit organizations (Title 18 departments) in Oklahoma do not have a member cap. It's Title 19 departments (muncipal) that have the maximum member cap set by statue. I think this may apply only to volunteer departments.

I am now going to bow out, since I've totally confused myself here.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

MembersZone Subscriber

I really do wish that we had that problem! But I will say that the ones that we don have, are truly dedicated. We also dont get a lot of space fillers on our membership list because if you miss 3 weekly meetings in a row, with no excuse you are no longer considered a member. I dont think that is too tough on people who really want to be in the dept.
    Excellence is a habit, not an act! - Aristotle

Post MAXIMUM MEMBERS

We have 2 stations. Max roll call for each is 18 members. BUT we leave space for 6 auxillery at each station. If the regular member roster is full and a regular steps down for any reason, then the auxillery member with the most time of service and training has the chance to get bumped up to regular if they desire.
    The opinions I express are my own and not of my department.

Some companies from my area had set membership limits. Unfortunately, these companies lost out on potential members who joined other companies (without roster limitations) and went on to become valuable assets as responders. The companies with the roster limits are now on the verge of being phased out due to the lack of responders. Considering the way people have to budget their time in today's hectic society, anyone who is willing to join as a responder or as a support member should be welcomed with open arms.

Forum Member

We have no limit. We have 25 on the roster. Two or three are inactive for medical reasons right now. Most small incidents you get the same 10-12 people. During the summer is when we get the biggest turnout of people, usually on long duration fire they come in as relief manpower. We have 5-6 that are our tanker drivers. We also have excellent mutual aid relations with our neighbors. We rarely have to handle a call shorthanded. Stay safe and have fun!
    Gabriel
    FF/EMT
    Nevada, Missouri
    1*

Thread Information