Thread: TIC training

Default TIC training

OK, We have our new TIC. The sales person is going to meet with us in the next few days to go over some material. But until then I would like to hear from you. I don't want to give it to the FF to play with until we have something in place on how we are going to put this new tool into our system. Is there a lesson plan on TIC use? How did you introduce it into your dept? New sop's, I would like to see them.
    thanks.

Forum Member

Here's a good PowerPoint presentation from Bullard:

http://thermalimager.bullard.com/tra...oint/index.cfm

Yes ., some good stuff there. How about, when you send a team in with a hose, who has the TIC and where is he/she located going in?

- For you vollies -Ever have FF fighting over it?
    - Is there a race to get?

Forum Member

I believe that the biggest problem is people remebering that they have the camera. at the last 2 or 3 structure fires i was on, i was the only one who thought about it, and got it out. i think the biggest probelm to overcome with the TIC is telling the difference in different heat ranges. just my 2 cents worth.

Default Training

There is a thermal imaging training company. They can train on all cameras. They are firefighters out of NY and Georgia, you should really check out their website http://www.safe-ir.com The basic training consists of two days. One day of learning about thermal imaging, and the second is hands-on in a burn. Thermal Imagers are NOT TOYS. Education is needed to teach a firefighter how to use the thermal imager, and teach him about what he is looking at, or else it becomes a useless tool. But once a firefighter has become educated about what he is looking at, and how to use the imager to his advantage, thermal imaging is an unbelievable tool.

TIC_Girl
    Last edited by TIC_Girl; 07-01-2002 at 02:18 PM.
    <0><0>

Forum Member

GPM - we are a volunteer department and got our first camera in 1998. We got a second camera for our other company in 2001. No one has fought over who takes the camera and it is used on lots of calls, whether they be structure fires or alarm investigations. They are great for finding hot light ballast's also. The camera's are on our first due engines and usually 1 camera will go with the second person on the first attack line and the other camera will go with the primary search team. When manpower allows, an officer will go with the hose team as a third man and he will take the camera instead of second man. The guy with the camera on the hose team will direct the nozzle man where to go with the stream while helping back him on the hose. Takes a little practice but it works. Search team is directed by the camera man. Using the camera at drills got a lot of people interested in wanting to use it, but that wore off. Once some guys used it in actual fires and talked about it, it is almost never forgotten on the truck. One suggestion though, when drilling/training with it, use a low battery so it will fail on the user once in a while. You have to teach people not to rely on the camera only as things can always go wrong and you need to find your way out without the camera. Imagine being in the middle of a room and the camera fails....where is the wall? Guys have to remember the basics, even when using a camera. Good luck and stay safe.

Default Thanks

God stuff there guys.

Forum Member

Maine Fire Training and Education has some good downloadable stuff if they have the server glitch fixed.I haven't downloaded anything lately so you'll have to check.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

The NJ Division of fire Safety SOP for the TIC's they distributed throughout the state can be found at this link and may be helpful - http://www.state.nj.us/dca/dfs/sops.htm

Thread Information