> the more you have,
    > the longer you live.
    >
    > Happiness comes through doors you
    > didn't even know you left open.
    >
    > Ever notice that the people who are late
    > are often much jollier
    > than the people who have to wait for them?
    >
    > Most of us go to our grave
    > with our music still inside of us.
    >
    > If Walmart is lowering prices every day,
    > how come nothing is free yet?
    >
    > You may be only one person in the world,
    > but you may also be the world to one person.
    >
    > Some mistakes are too much fun
    > to only make once.
    >
    > Don't cry because it's over;
    > smile because it happened.
    >
    > We could learn a lot from crayons:
    > some are sharp, some are pretty,
    > some are dull, some have weird names,
    > and all are different colors....but
    > they all exist very nicely in the same box.
    >
    > A truly happy person is one who
    > can enjoy the scenery on a detour.
    >
    > Have an awesome day, and
    > know that someone
    > who thinks you're great
    > has thought about you today!..
    > "And that person was me.".....

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thinking about Rural depts using sub-standard gear (or anyone for that matter) scares the hell outta me. I am thinking of my Dept, and we are a "Rural" dept, but we try to follow NFPA, OSH, WCB (thats Workers Compensation) and a couple others who's names I can't rememeber. Example: Our DC (yep the LSG) has gone through all our turnout gear (well we all did it together) and confirmed that it all meets NFPA standards and that the proper labels are visible. As a result, some of our gear, mine included was retired permanently because it didn't have the proper labels.

The old stuff was locked up and will be disposed of fairly soon. The down result of this is that now we do not have enough gear to make "spare gear" with which to swap out while our regular gear is either getting cleaned or repaired. I suppose the good thing here is that each one of us will get some forced down time, while each set of gear is temporarily out of service.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

George.

Sorry for the mis -interpretation.

I was agreeing with you.

I have done military dog hanling, including #2 on bomb call outs. I have done EOD work.

It is not fun.

Would I do it now in the capacity of Firefighter. You would not see me within 1 mile of the damn thing.

Kristen, I think your question about gear is directed to me? If so, then the answer is no. Not bashing here or trying to be rude, but my Dept is Canadian and we don't fall under the US Fire authority(?) for grants or administration of any kind.

We do have our own municiple, provincial and federal authorities and we do receive some funding from them. Our budget funds come from Regional District Authority, who "runs" a total of 6 volunteer depts. Major purchases have to be ratified by them before we are "allowed" to make the purchase. Doesn't always happen that way, but you didn't hear that from me. I'm just the Unit Engineer.

We are in the process of buying new gear. The quotes are in, and it is now a matter of making the decision of who gets the contract.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

MembersZone Subscriber

George.

Sorry for the mis -interpretation.

I was agreeing with you.

I thought you were. No problem. I just have trouble with your writing style sometimes. I guess I have to learn to speak "Kiwi".

George

Stayback , I think I missed what you asked the other day about where do we start with adhering to the small stuff or somthing along those lines?

Simple. If the death of one firefighter in an incident like this is not enough to "draw a line in the sand", and say "OK, no more after this". Then what is?

Look after the little things and the big things will look after themselves...
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

with a mouth shaped like this, it is not suprising some of the words come out funny.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Does anyone know how to contact the governing body is that holds the federal funding allocated to the fire service? Do they have a website etc? Being as I am from Canada, I'm not sure if it is the USFA or not.

I have come to the conclusion that I want to write them a letter, pointing out the fact that all over the rural US fire fighters are taking unnecessary risks because their equipment is substandard.

We can make arguments here until pigs fall from the sky but that isn't going to help anyone who is forced to work in excessively dangerous conditions.

Considering the outcome of the Baird trial, I can't think of a better time to point out the need for funding to these smaller depts.

Originally posted by StayBack500FtThe outcry and screaming should be done now...if it isn't, some of the next blood spilled will be on our hands too. This "It's cool until someone dies" attitude should be changed. A bit harsh, but it's the way I think.
    AMEN....

stroutkristen
    Despite all of the publicity about terrorism....Recently, a private security guard opened a bag that was unaccounted for.....with no protective gear....next to firefighters with no protective gear.......
    1. Was this bag supposed to have a bomb in it?
    2. Why was the fire dept there in the first place?
    3. If the fire dept was there in the response to a call, why weren't they wearing protective gear?

Imagine if the bag would have been packed with C-4? What a chance that man took at the expense of everyone else!
    How much do you know about explosives?

If I were the Chief of the fire department, I would have sued the security company.
    Why would you sue the security company exactly? On what grounds? Who would be suing the fire dept?

Kiwi... great pic

Temptaker.

Outstanding

I will ask a silly question considering how the vast majority of people in these forums feel about the issues.

Maybe get the firehouse to put up a standardised letter sorted out via a forum thread, with an email address to send it to after signing.

Wonder how many copies they would get in he first week.

Kiwi, you never cease to amaze me with your pictures. I am not sure where you find the time to dig them up, unless of course you just happen to have them on file somewhere. Keep it up, it's all good fun!!

StroutKristen
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post CANADIAN SAFETY

MALAHAT 2-7,
    Well, I suppose there's always the NSC(National Safety Council), IAFF (International Association of Firefighters), and NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health). They all ultimately submit reports to USFA. But, I'm sure you already know that!

Check this out... brotherhood at its best!

http://www.firehouse.com/news/2002/5/29_FHkstruck.html

Great to know that some of those hand-me-downs are finding their way to where they are needed most.

stroutkristen

I see that you didn't answer my previous questions.

Well, I suppose there's always the NSC(National Safety Council), IAFF (International Association of Firefighters), and NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health). They all ultimately submit reports to USFA. But, I'm sure you already know that!
    I realize the question was not directed at me, however I am curious as to what do you think the IAFF, NSC, or NIOSH is going to as far as funding a volunteer dept in Canada?

Default Re: THE VOTE'S IN

Originally posted by stroutkristen
    Yup! I definitely need to be knocked down a peg or two!!! Stayback....?????
    Why the hell do you post something like this? If you recognize it, then act on it.

martinm -- You hit it on the head.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Thumbs up Hand-me-downs

Originally posted by Temptaker
    Check this out... brotherhood at its best!
    Great to know that some of those hand-me-downs are finding their way to where they are needed most.
    Isn't it difficult to imagine a department using a 1952 International pumper...here in 2002?! My, oh my....I wonder what the rest of their gear looks like!

50 years old...and their ONLY engine!

God bless the Elsmere Fire Company, of Delaware...God help the firefighters in Cullison, Kansas.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

StroutKristen
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question DISTRICT AUTHORITY

Temptaker;
    Regardless of whether it's a volunteer department or not I still think those agencies oversee the issues you're talking about. Who, exactly, is the "district authority" that governs your gear?

stroutkristen

Who, exactly, is the "district authority" that governs your gear?
    Well considering that I live in a large city with 12 seperate depts, it would depend on the which dept you were talking about, all but two of them are paid, and they are all considered to have their own distinct "district". In any case I believe that 27 has already answered that question. Perhaps you should go back and read his answer again. The point I was trying to make is that the IAFF, is the fire fighters union, they don't have anything to do with volunteer depts unless they are talking about trying to bring a union in, and ratify a contract. I could be wrong here, but I believe the other two make policies regarding safety equipment, I don't believe they provide funding either, even if they did they are US authorites, and have nothing to do with what goes on in Canada.

Stayback... thank you

Kiwi... Thanks for the compliment. I don't think 'the powers that be' would take something that was done strickly through the web seriously. They would probably say something like there is no way to check it for accuracy or something like that. If it was a form letter, that could be printed and mailed in, like the one asking for that guys parole to be denied that might work.

Webteam... what do you think?

NJ... Chances are what they have been given is better then what they had. At least they have something now... good thing or they might have had to go back to using a horse drawn cart, and dalmations to chase away the local wild life. Hopefully the equipment they got from the Delaware dept is all up to current standards. Having a tornado rip down their station might have been a blessing in disguise. I hope that none of their members were hurt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default A quick geography lesson

stroutkristen:

Canada is its own seperate country, Most governing organizations here in the US DONT apply there.

Proud member of the IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-egh
    *** These are my opinions, they do not in any way reflect those of my department.***

StroutKristen
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking THANK YOU!!!

Thank you!!! That must be why USFA reports on the fire fatality incidents in Canada. I apologize I took MUN (Model United Nations) instead of Geography!

stroutkristen

Why don't you loosen those knickers cause I think you've managed to get them tied in a knot.
    That must be why USFA reports on the fire fatality incidents in Canada
    The USFA probably does reports on fatality incidents in the UK too, that doesn't mean they have any governing authority up here.

You know what's funny? IAFF stands for International Association of Firefighters. Did you know that international, by definition, is relating to one or more nations? But, I'm still ignorant and I always will be.....so, I'll save the rolling eyeballs! It must be nice to know everything!!!
    I said it before and I'll say it again now. The IAFF is the fire fighters union. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH VOLUNTEER DEPTS.

You know I wasn't going to do this, however you have taken it upon yourself in several times to phrase things in such a way that it could be considered... hmmmm... lets just say condescending. You have made several comments about needing to be knocked down a knotch or two, being ignorant etc... well here it comes.

It is painfully obvious to a good number of people on this forum that you don't have a clue what you are talking about. I'm sure you are a very nice person, and a good mom. However, IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, SHUT THE HELL UP, YOU JUST MIGHT LEARN SOMETHING. There is no point in insulting people, inviting them to flame you, or pretending to know something that you don't. I understand that you want to be accepted, what I don't understand is why you are trying so hard. By spewing out whatever happens to pop into your dizzy little head, you have managed to do nothing but remove this thread from what it was originally intended for. I'm sorry if this offends you... but sometimes the truth hurts. I can not, just sit by any longer while you make remarks that are insulting to people that have EARNED the respect they have been given on these forums.

How long exactly have you been in the fire service? OR are you even a card carrying member yet? I seem to remember a post along the lines of being trained and not knowing what to wear. Let me give you a little advice... when you go into the station: Don't tell them your stories... they don't care. Don't act like you know anything, cause you'll soon learn you know squat.

Please in the future think about what you are writing before you post it. There is nothing wrong with asking questions. There is nothing wrong with just following a thread, and not posting anything. There is nothing wrong with starting your own thread, in fact the one about credentials was good. Don't insult people because they simply pointed out the fact that you missed something, that your infomation is incorrect, or that you post isn't relavent in the current thread. Several people, myself included have tried to indicate these things in this particular thread, in a more gentle way, you simply missed the point.

To everyone else: I'm sorry I couldn't take it anymore. Can we get back to the original thread now please.

Forum Member

Handled in the best BMI fashion.........

Dave

Thread Information