Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber ramseycl's Avatar

Default cordless headsets

We are now testing cordless headsets, I am looking for input from anyone else who has had any experience with them. How to they operate when there are several people in the room with them on, is there any bleed over.

I know this is an older post but, we don't use them but I'm curious as to how you can talk on the radio but answer a phone at the same time?

Actually, there are some systems that allow you to talk on the radio and the phone. When you key up the radio, it mutes the phone. There are some problems with this if you are monitoring multiple talk-groups. It all goes back to the type of sytem. Another problem I have encountered with headsets is ear-infections and the constant sound of electricity in your ear.
    http://thetravelingfirefighter.com

Never, never, never give up - Winston Churchill

SGFDQueen, Are you talking about corldess headsets? How does the equipment differentiate between phone and radio? How would you pick up on a certain phone line?
    We have headsets that mute the phone while your talking on the radio. And we have the outside earpiece so ear infections are not a problem. Also we don't have static noise. Like you said, it depends on the quality of the equipment.

In any case, headsets are great compared to having to pick up a receiver. It's bad enough I have to do that at home.

Jim,
    I quite agree with the handsfree aspect. I can talk on the phone, answer my radio, eat, and type all at the same time. I know, what a talent!Hee Hee.
    As far as the quality of the head set, we use Plantronics headsets and a Motorola sytem. Its a new system in a new 10 Mill building. There are some glitches, but they have mostly been worked out.
    http://thetravelingfirefighter.com

Never, never, never give up - Winston Churchill

We have what you have, minus the 10 mill building. LOL But we are looking for a new one.

MembersZone Subscriber ramseycl's Avatar

Well we finally got the corless head sets. They are really nice because we have the freedom to move around the center. They work the same as the corded headsets and we can use the same ear pieces. The biggest problem we have had is with open mics. For some reason the mic on the new sets likes to stick open we are having several open mics a night per person. Some of the things that are said over the air are not so pretty.

We have Plantronics headset too. The first time I used it, I found out the PTT button on the headset cord has that little "lock" position. The way you push the button down and back happens to be the most comfortable way to push the button when using it normal. Problem. I found that little slotted circle thingy right next to the button can be turned 90 degrees and locks out the lock function. Thank God. These are corded. I wish they were cordless, however knowing me and the rest of my colegues, we would all end up dispatching from the break room down the hall.

Thread Information