Forum Member

Default Reflective Striping Inside Cab/Compartment Doors

Having recently read an article in a fire service magazine about the new emerging trend of placing red & white Scotchlite trim on the inside of cab doors (and sometimes compartment doors) to improve visibility to the "knuckleheads" speeding past us, I am researching this issue for my dept.

I'm looking for input from any dept's that already have done this, are reseaching it as well or are currently in the process of doing it. I would like to know the following:

*Size/color/material used with striping (red & white Scotchlite
    slanted on an angle seems to to be the norm)

*Cost factor - did you have a vendor do it or done in-house?

*If done in-house, where did you get the materials from?

*Are there any NFPA or OSHA regulations/standards that apply to
    adding this to your apparatus?

*Have you noticed any marked improvement with driver awareness since
    adding this to your apparatus?

Any other info that you can offer is greatly appreciated. If anyone out there has already done this to their apparatus & has a pic you can post here, please do so.

Thanks in advance fot the help. Stay Safe.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

most of the info you are looking for i wasn't involved with for my agencies but our fire dept has red reflection tape on the inside of the doors. also the ambulance agency has our name in blue reflection tape on the inside of the back doors so when they are opened you can read the name. haven't really noticed that much of a difference but every little bit helps. i know this doesn't help you much but...
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

We use DOT red/white reflective tape.

Forum Member

our new rescue has red reflective striping on all the roll out trays. i believe it is 3/4" or 1". It came on the truck, and we dont have a clue about pricing on it.

Forum Member

We have 2inch red reflective stipres on the inside skin and on the gap between the outer and inner. Very chep and I think was bought at a motorists suppliers. Should be easy to come by.

Also means that the rubberneckers have no excuse for hittin an open door!!
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

MembersZone Subscriber

The first truck to do this at either of the agencies I run with was a 2002 Ambulance from WheeledCoach.

They (WheeledCoach) placed 3" round white reflectors in the lower corner of every compartment door (except the rear doors which do not extend out past the sides of the body).

Personally - I would have liked to put the DOT red/white striping tape along the entire top, bottom, and latch side of each door - may even get a roll and do all the trucks myself.

I don't know how this addition had affected the "rubber neckers" on scene - but I know that when I pull up on scene and the crew has a door open - I notice it.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe that FDNY mounts stop signs on the inside of the cab doors. Maybe some else might know more about this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our ladder truck has reflective stop signs mounted to the inside of the jumpseat doors. At first it was as a joke (the rig is school bus yellow) but our DC thought it was a good idea.
    I honestly don't know if it made a difference but the doors nor any personnel were ever hit.

Forum Member

Default Why wait ?

You can pick up three yards of the stuff for about $3 at just about any department store (walmart, K-mart, even Krogers Grocery stores have it) Please don't tell me you need to write a whole SOP for this. Just put it on and be done with it.
    See You At The Big One

MembersZone Subscriber

We have used reflective markers on our cab and compartment doors for about ten years. We use the vehicle type reflective markers (about 1" x 3") that can be found at truck parts supply houses or sometimes at a local flea market. They have double side adhesive tape on the back. With our newer trucks having roll-up doors we just have them on the cab doors of those trucks. But . . . .

Don't forget about your roll-out trays. We also put the reflectors on the sides of all roll-out trays.

Do they help? Can't say for sure because we've never had a door or tray ripped off by a passing car, but it's kinda like fire prevention/inspections - it's hard to quantify what didn't happen because it was prevented from happening in the first place.

Personally, it's worth the small expense to do it.

We added the 2" DOT red/white tape to the inside of compartment doors at my old department on everything except the recue truck. The rescue had enough 4" white tape left over after we did the outside to do the inside of the doors. We added it after talking amongst ourselves, but seems to me a lot of people had the same idea that we had...it had to help and couldn't hurt.

Sr. Information Officer

Talking Reflective tape vs. Stop signs vs. Stayback

We have a member of our forums...that has intimate knowledge of

signs. Stayback...what's yer opinion?
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Thumbs up Our Ambulance

Our new Ambulance has LED (I think) light strips embedded on the inside of all the compartment doors. Not really sure if it helps or not but it looks kinda cool.

Chuck Jones Jr.
    Station/Squad 22-4
    Gloucester County, NJ

I know of a few departments that have generators not on trays that require the door being open while they operate. Another department close by has a cascade system the requires the door to be open to operate.

Forum Member

Originally posted by drkblram
    Yes, I have seen several different types of FDNY units with stopsigns on the inside of the jump door. I suggested it to one of my officer's for our new seagrave, more as a joke than anything else.

My thoughts as I read this thread is "why not just close the !@#$ door?" I know we need to get out and get tools out, but there is no excuse for leaveing compartments open. a dept. near me had a horz. hinged high side compartment door ripped off by an ambulance at a MVA. Now, you know if EMS can hit a door, than ANYONE can.

Putting reflective tape (or reflective stop signs) on the inside of compartments can't HURT. I saw DOT red/white tape for like 15 bucks for 6 yards or something like that. that's cheap compared to a compartment door, or a life. Bonus of a stopsign on the door, if someone zips by you as you hop out and almost gets you, PD can get them for running a stopsign
    1) I have also seen the STOP signs on the FDNY rigs.

2) Funny how you can blame the FF for not closing the door, because someone incompetant wasn't paying attention. The Dept. you refer to is mine, the truck was parked, the ambulance driver didn't know his limitations, obviously. Just to add to this, this is the 3rd time that that style door has been ripped off of our trucks. We have added refelective tape, the problem with the hinged high side style door is that there is very little surface area to see on the edge once open, especially at night (which is when this latest incident happened). We have since spec'ed all roll-up door on our two new rigs - problem solved.

3) We have begun adding alternating red/white lights in the cab doors of all of our trucks, they are very effective, yes they are more expensive, but what is the price tag on safety?? Click here for a pic

drkblram, Send me a PM, I'm curious as to who you are and where your from.
    Last edited by TCFD12; 05-30-2002 at 03:58 PM.
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

Thread Information