MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Food For Thought - Loosely Baird Related...

Being Canadian Military, I often get access to unusual sites and have found one such place. It deals directly with the Afganistan incident involving the Canadian troops who were accidentaly bombed by US forces.

That is not the intended direction of this post; I am driving more towards the Baird/Lairdsville case in this instance, and the following link will take you to the Canadian Military Journal.

The following story relates to an incident involving Canadian, US and French naval forces during the Battle of Atlantic, and specifically how "signals and communications" can be misintrepreted, misunderstood, or in some cases completely ignored. Communication or sometimes the lack of communication is my main train of thought in this post.

The story is a little long winded (so is my post, I guess), but does eventually come to the point: www.journal.forces.gc.ca then select "Back Issues", then "Vol 2, No3 - Autum 2001. Happy reading.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I feel that the lack of communications is one of the biggest obstacle that the fire service has to overcome. Just about every FD in the USA has this problem.

We have chief officers, line officers and firefighters that feel that knowledge is power, and the knowledge should be kept secret. For zome bizarre reason, they feel that it gives them an edge over everyone else. They are also the first ones to complain that their fellow firefighters don't knowe what they are doing...

We have firefighters that pass on the petty bovine scatology, but the important information, such as a piece of equipment that gets put out of servce does not. We look like fools when we find out that what we need is not on the rig!

Fire Chiefs implement new policies by tossing a copy of the SOPs/SOGS on the duty officers desk without warning. "By the way, here is the new SOP/SOG....have a nice day, I'm off for the rest of the week!"

We have petty territorial fights about who to call in for mutual aid. "I don't want them here, because they have better training/staffing/equipment (fill in the blank with anything else you can think of) and will make us look bad..."

We have wonderful ways of communicating...radios, cell phones, email, memos, but nobody wants to talk face to face anymore, unless it is to bitch about something inconsequential!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Amen to that Captain. It would seem that the communication problem is not just restricted to the US fire service either. And in this particular problem, "size" has no meaning either. Be it a small 10 member unit, or 100 plus, the Communication between personnel is an ongoing issue.

And you are dead right about the out of service equipment issue too. Nothing worse than to go the apparatus looking for something, only to be told that "Oh, I took that out of service last week - its broken." Ya, great, thanks for passing that on earlier.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

IACOJ BOD

Default Lack of Communications

Two-7

Got some really good info on this...

But I am not going to tell you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok Kiwi, please refer to StayBack's post "Marty...."

MembersZone Subscriber

Been there.

We put out second engine in service a week before the last firefighter's meeting. This is going to be our first out truck on everything except grass/brush fires. We just mounted a new generator and lights to it.

Was there any mention that the truck was now inservice? No. Think it's going to roll on the next call?
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

MembersZone Subscriber

Well said Drkblram. You are very right in pointing out that sometimes too much chatter can be as bad as not enough. We have occasionally experienced too much radio traffic, and the confusion from that can be too much to decipher. Thanks for bringing out that distinction - good thoughts there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ah, communication!!

Follow the link at the bottom of my post to my FD's website. Click on "Timeless Tactical Truths".

One of them is, "Don't assume just because you are talking that you are communicating" or something to that effect.

There's other jems of knowledge there too, but I'd rather you look at our website to find them.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Thread Information