Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs up Team search training a lot of fun!

On yesterday's day tour, we had a team search drill with two instructors from a company called Fire and Rescue Training Associates. The two instructors were Jim Evans, a 30+ year veteran and Safety Chief with the Boston Fire Department and retired Boston Fire Captainb Terry Koen of Engine 33.

The morning was spent going over past LODD case histories of trapped firefighters, history of RIT, and some basic search and rescue procedures. The afternoon was spent putting what we learned to use. We had a vacant school to play in. While we were having lunch, Jim and Terry were at the school filling the lower level up with a smoke machine. When we arrived, the basement level cafeteria are was so smoked up a Survivor light couldn't cut through it. Using the team search techniques learned earlier in the day, we covered the area to get a feel for the technique.

When all the teams went through...we added a live victim pretending to be separated from his company and trapped. The search team would find the victim, a second rescue team would come in and get the firefighter. Using pass devices FAR (feedback assisted rescue) and good old fashioned banging a tool and yelling, the first two "victims" were found.

I volunteered to be the "victim" for the third evolution. I through a little "twist" into the evolution...I went to an area that was being used as storage for file cabinets...then pulled a large on down on top of me. The search crew used the aforementioned techniques to find me, the rescue crew followed the rope line in. While they were putting me into the stokes basket, I felt a spray of water from a presuurized water extinguisheron my face...it was hot in there, and being in full gear, it felt good.

The second shot, done in the smoke was balls on accurate...right up the left leg of my turnouts and getting me soaked! I thought it was one of the Jakes from Rescue 1, because he laughed when I said "Jeez, I'm wet!". It wasn't him, though...it's the "quiet ones" you have to watch out for!

All in all, we learned a lot and had fun doing it!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

that does sound like fun. we recently went though something along those lines and everyone had fun. we get to do more next month as we continue with RIT training. glad you enjoyed the training and most importantly you got something out of the training.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Thread Information