Default newbie question: how do I apply for an EMS position?

I know this is the FF forum, but I am hoping to segue from EMT to FF someday.

Well I passed my EMT certification a couple of weeks ago, and now I would like to apply to a service like AMR.

I see they ask for you to send a resume...but what shoudl I put on it?

I'm not new to creating resumes, I have done several and I think they have been good...but they have been for a completely unrelated field.

I have ZERO EMS experience...so I wouldn't know what to put besides my name, contact info and education...

Any help is much appreciated.
    Last edited by exsilio; 05-30-2002 at 03:44 AM.
    EMT
    ...testing for FF

bump

Show a newbie some love...I just want some insight as to how I should best proceed. Someone should be able to offer some advice.
    EMT
    ...testing for FF

Forum Member

Default O.K., I'll bite

Are you a normal EMT or a paramedic?

Speaking from my area (MN, WI, IA, SD) and plain EMT certification doesn't get you much, if anything (sorry, I'm being honest). If you have your EMT look into any number of private ambulance services (most have web sites) and look for a BLS position, however, be aware that, as far as I know, those positions are just as competitive as FF positions. Where I worked, most of those jobs were part time and held by off duty firefighters.

You can also look into emergency rooms. Around here there are several hospitals that employ Emergency Room Technicians (I'm not exactly sure what they do except stuff like draw blood and stuff to free up nurses when possible). I think this is your best bet but on the down side for you most of the ER-EMTs I met where people currently in nursing school.

If you really want to get into EMS (and many fire departments) getting your paramedic is the way to go. It is only a year or two of commitment to you and will open the flood gates on employment in the emergency field.

Of course your area may be different. Good luck.

Thread Information