Thread: Skid Loads

Question Skid Loads

We have discussed going to 150ft of 1.75 in a horseshoe connected to 400ft of 3.0 off the rear bed. I have seen many articles from Chicago and FDNY who use similiar loads, but who else has them and do you like them over pre-connects. We have many resdiences over 3000 sq ft and I doubt our 200ft pre-connects will reach throughout. PLease let me know what you think. <--Capt. King, Local 3112
    celer et audax

Before you do anything do some extensive testing, while i have heard of systems like this it may not work for everyone.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Forum Member

All our Engine companies (7) use something similiar to what you have discussed. They have 600 ft of 3" connected to a gated wye then 200 ft 1-3/4" with a 15/16 smooth bore nozzle. Seems to work well for us. Just remember that placement of the wye is key. I have seen the wye placed in the lobby of some buildings and some of our pre-plans have you drag it to the landing of between the 1st and 2nd floors. I agree with shammrock54, test before you do anything.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

We have skids in a pack V.S. the horseshoe. It takes some practice to become proficient with the horseshoe.
    If you advance the line close to the fire before charging it you may consider 100' the less friction loss may help. The wye placement is very important so you don't run short.
    Play with it at drill and see what you think.

Forum Member

The company I used to run with used this but we called it a Frisco load since they use it in San Francisco. It worked great on the older trucks we had that didn't have crosslays.

It was also nice to have 150' to work with from the front door since a lot of the homes in our area had large driveways or set-backs. We ran it using the wye and 2 hand lines attached. That way both the first and second floor crews had plenty of hose without making it hard for others to enter the building over a lot of hose.

Practice with it but I think you'll like it.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Default Re: Skid Loads

Originally posted by FDirish
    We have discussed going to 150ft of 1.75 in a horseshoe connected to 400ft of 3.0 off the rear bed. I have seen many articles from Chicago and FDNY who use similiar loads, but who else has them and do you like them over pre-connects. We have many resdiences over 3000 sq ft and I doubt our 200ft pre-connects will reach throughout. PLease let me know what you think. <--Capt. King, Local 3112
    All I will say, and I've said it before. Before trying to copy what we do in NYC, test it out first. We do things our way because it works here. Does not mean it will work there.
    Doc DC3<br />ex FDNY (E74)

My dept. uses 600ft of 2 1/2" to a wye with 150ft of 1 3/4" AND A 7/8" smooth-bore. We have a lot of three story apartment buildings and large homes. This has worked very well for us.

STAY SAFE

MembersZone Subscriber

Jim, just curious.
    Why did your dept pick 2 1/2 Wyed to 1.75 with a 7/8. We use 3" with 15/16 tip or low pressure 175 gpm Chief nozzles. (not that that's the only answer) Do you break off the 1.75 and put a nob on the 2.5?

Again just curious.

Forum Member

Detroit uses bundles and reverse lays almost exclusively. My Dept uses a bundle as well. It is set up with 800' of 2 1/2 wyed to 1 preconnected 100' 1 3/4 line. The second lead is our high rise pack, 150' of 1 3/4. The second lead is laid on top of the whole load, to ensure it is thrown off the truck and not forgotten.

The first lead is packed so the first half is horseshoed on top of the 2 1/2, the last 50' is a seatbelted shoulder load laid on top.

We use crosslays about 80% of the time. The bundle is used for long stretches (apts, setbacks, commercial) and for when the CO wants his driver to reverse lay, due to second due delays or personal preference.

Default Re: Re: Skid Loads

Originally posted by johnusn971

All I will say, and I've said it before. Before trying to copy what we do in NYC, test it out first. We do things our way because it works here. Does not mean it will work there.
    What John said.

The type of hose setup a company uses must take several factors into consideration. Two that come to mind are
    1.) The type of buildings in your first due.
    2.) Staffing. Does the engine roll out with three...or six? It makes a big difference. FDNY can dedicate four men to getting that first line in position. That doesn't include the MPO(driver) and Officer.
    If your company has less manpower, the same setup may not work. The only way to know for sure is to try it out thoroughly before making any permanent changes.

BTW... Have you considered using 1 3/4" preconnects up to 400 feet in length? Also, you might consider backing up that 1 3/4" horseshoe with 2 1/2" which can be used as a handline.
    "Go ugly early."

Thread Information