Thread: Helmet and NFPA

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Helmet and NFPA

Would like to know if anyone knows if you have a Sam Houston helmet with NFPA qualified goggles can you wear Bourke shields and still be NFPA qualified with the understanding that you will use the goggles in a fire situation.The bourkes are for looks. Thanks.

Forum Member

As long as you have the goggles, it can have bourkes. To be compliant, it must have the goggles on the helmet. (At least that is my convoluted understanding) I have both, goggles and bourkes. (of course I usually "forget" my goggles in my locker, where I left them while I was....ummmm....cleaning, yeah thats right, cleaning my helmet.) I rely on good ole safety glasses...disposable ems kind...for my eye protection. They don't fog up, and are much more comfortable.

Dave
    Last edited by hfd66truck; 06-01-2002 at 06:57 PM.

Default 1st- The NFPA is B.S.

The NFPA has gotten more guys killed than saved. Look at increasing deaths due to fatigue, heat, and heart attacks. Could it be due to the fact we have to have gear that is so heavy and full of gadgets to tell us what already know? So, now that I am off my soap box, primary eye protection in structural firefighting is your SCBA mask. For lesser situations, the goggles are primary. bourkes are purely secondary eye protection. I use bourkes for more than just looks. They can be handy at times when goggles are required but a littel protection is nice.
    celer et audax

MembersZone Subscriber

The NFPA has gotten more guys killed than saved. Look at increasing deaths due to fatigue, heat, and heart attacks. Could it be due to the fact we have to have gear that is so heavy and full of gadgets to tell us what already know?
    Give me a break. What exactly is it that NFPA requires you to carry that is increasing your fatigue? An SCBA? If you're carrying too much, you might want to look at what you're carrying and dump some of it, since there's nothing REQUIRED for you to carry other than your helmet and eye protection, your turnouts (including hood and gloves), and your SCBA. Everything else is personal preference or mandated by your own department to do the job.

Some of what has gotten more firefighters killed than saved is the inability for the fire service to pass a mandatory fitness standard and fire command officers who fail to recognize heat stress and subsequently fail to rehab personnel in a timely manner.
    Michael "Mick" Mayers
    Acting Director, Urban Search and Rescue
    South Carolina Emergency Response Task Force
    www.sctf1.sc.gov

I couldn't agree with you more truck6alpha...firefighting is something you chose to do. if the gear is too heavy, maybe you need to look at yourself. i'm not a very big guy but i can handle what is required by my station and the NFPA. it all comes down to training - both individual and dept oriented. i undoubtedly think there should be some form of standard of physical conditioning for firefighters for more than one reason...namely health, endurance and outright appearance - after all, we are serving our communities and should look somewhat proffesional doing so.
    "ONE nation UNDER God"

Thread Information