Angry Antiquated, debilitated, and substandard equipment

We started discussing this on another thread that has been closed. If it is alright with everyone, I think the discussion was for the most part productive, and I would like to continue it here.

For those of you that missed the original thread, we started out by talking about what can be done to prevent events like Lairdsville from happening again. Progressed on to the fact that all over the US and Canada, smaller and/or Vollie depts are expected to work with equipment that is substandard, and inadequate training.

If anyone knows who the federal agency is holding the funding allocated to the fire service this year by the federal gov, I would appreciate it being posted here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question US or Canada?

I will assume you mean the US, although since you live in Canada, I may be wrong. In the US, FEMA is in charge of most of the money. Mainly this is the FIRE grant. There is other money available out there from other departments, such as some is available through the USDA Forestry and some the USDA Rural Development. We could go into a lot of pages of available money, and probably never touch it all. Probably every sector of the gov't has some money, in some obscure program, which can go to the fire service or EMS. You really have to work full time chasing this money, and even then you will miss out by not knowing, or finding out, until too late. It can be frustrating!!
    "Illigitimi Non Carborundum"

"The views expressed by me are solely my own, and in no way reflect the views of any organization which I belong to."

Yes I was referring to the US. I thought the US gov allocated "special" funds (in the millions) not previously available this year on a federal level. I knew that FEMA had charge over a lot of it. My understand, and this could be completely wrong, was that the funds were allocated in part because of 9/11 to help the other depts across the country.

I think where alot of smaller departments get in that kind of situation is the unneccessary expenditure. How many of us have seen Chiefs and board members go to every conference on the face of the Earth on the department's tab, and then turn around and tell you that neccessities "aren't in the budget"? I had bunker pants held together with duct tape for 2 years while new one's "weren't in the budget". They most likely still aren't, but I left that place 3 years ago, so I may never know - some other soul is probably issuing the daily complaint over them now.

Thread Information