Smile In search of awesome firefighters to help!

Hello everyone, I am just finishing an internship with Billings Fire Department in Montana. I am writing my thesis on fire investigation. I am also planning to change my life yet again and pursue a career in fire investigations. Its a family trait I guess, however I doubt very seriously that will be well received by my dad. He is a 28 year veteran of the department here. All men. Daddy's little girl, well not so little, has no place "hauling hose" in his eyes. My hope to everyone here is that you will have some great links stories, or would like to provide a bit to my thesis. The Fire Marshal that I worked for at the department is helping a great deal but I would love to hear what the rest of the world has to say!!!!!!! By the way, the nickname is Hoyden and I'm called that with love, one of the engineers gave me that name and it took.... So feel free to use it.
    J.L.B "Hoyden"

Fire_Intern aka Hoyden... this could be confusing

No seriously jump in and ask some questions, I'm sure they'll all get answered.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are here to have our brains picked. Ask away...
    Michael "Mick" Mayers
    Acting Director, Urban Search and Rescue
    South Carolina Emergency Response Task Force
    www.sctf1.sc.gov

Thumbs up Thank you!!!!

First of all, I wasn't sure if anyone would answer, but I've had a couple emails, and now a few posts. You are great people. I am writing a senior thesis to augment my internship that focused on fire investigation. What sort of references do you recommend, I am using the FEMA basic IFI course book, will be trying to grab Kirks, I would love some frontline stories to add from all levels of the department suppression rookies, up to investigators. I just began my work on this paper I have some time and want to have some fun with it. And I would love some career hints too. Anyone who wants to add, you would forever be in my heart as a personal friend and hero.
    J.L.B "Hoyden"

Hoydon,

Try posting your questions here http://www.firehouse.com/forums2/for...s=&forumid=323

It is for investigation, you might get better results there. There are lots of really educated experienced people here. Try reading through some of the threads already there, you might find that some of your questions could already be answered.

Disillusioned Subscriber

Hoyden-

I've been a fire investigator in my city for several years, and frequently assist the State Investigators as well. Counting my time with my old department, I've been doing this for just about 20 years. I am also an Arson Canine handler, and go all over Southern and Central Ohio with him to help on fire scenes.

Kirk's is an excellent resource. You should also get a copy of NFPA 921. There is a lot of good information available there regarding the science and methodology involved in the investigative process. Any research document should include it as a reference as it is recognized pretty much nationwide. IFSTA has a couple of good resources as well. I think they are titled "Fire and Origin Determination" and "Fire Investigation".

One thing I would recommend to you is to look at as many "accidental" fire scenes as possible, preferably with your Fire Marshal to teach you how to "read the fire". The more accidental fire you see, the more the abberrant patterns will jump out at you, or at least become more apparent. Fire behavior is a pretty basic science and fairly predictable unless an outside force intervenes. An understanding of fire codes and how compliance with those code will change the behavior is a definite plus.

I would be happy to answer specific questions via e-mail as you need at skgallagher@adelphia.net .
    Last edited by Steamer; 06-06-2002 at 03:30 PM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Thread Information