Default Don't forget the basics when using the TIC

Ensure that your folks don't forget the basics when searching a structure when utilizing the TIC. Seems like a no brainer, but people have a tendancy to fall off of the wall they are searching when using the the TIC. The camera is a great tool, but if it fails while searching and you have lost contact with the wall, you may find yourself in a bad situation. Train on the fundamentals no matter how basic they are! Practice makes permanent!

Forum Member

Can't agree more. We intentionally send guys in with a low battery so the camera fails after a few minutes, then ask them, now what? Where are you, how do you get out? It makes for some fun drills.

PS. Yes, we only do this in smoke training, not live fire, not live calls. Needed to add this disclaimer.

MembersZone Subscriber

I also agree, I was at a drill last year where crews were using the camera to help locate victims. The camera went dead and an experienced crew becaame quite disoriented. I'm sure they would have gotten out on their own, but we didn't wait to find out.
    A real eye opener.
    Most crews by us use a search line to aid us in getting out.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

we were down at Texas A&M this spring conducting a smoke house search with a TIC (first time use for most of us) and the battery went dead on us. No problems since we were more use to the wall feel then using a camera.

There was a past issue of Fire-Rescue that dealt with I believe the Grandbury, Tx Fire dept on using TICs. Might be good to read.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Thread Information