Default Starting a Rapid Intervention Team

My department is considering creating a rapid intervention team for not only our district, but others as well. Any suggestions?

MembersZone Subscriber

Start with the basics. They are always the most important. Also setting up a committee with experience to lay out policy and SOG's helps, ends arguments quick as to what direction you want your team to go in. We have a proactive team, throws ladders and gets rid of hazards, we also have a team next to us that sits in front of the bldg. with its $hit in a stokes, staring at what still needs to be done.

The biggest thing is don't rush it, take a few months to get as much training in as you can. Also we run a system for the voluteers that they have to have so many hours of RIT training per year to stay on the team. We had a member who had every drill a 'required' one, numbers started draining fast. Just my .03. I like to throw a little extra in.

You might want to take a look @ http://www.rapidintervention.com

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

that is an excellant website that temptaker posted. almost all of the information you require can be found there. also a forum there to post on and SOPs online that you can look at.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

My department is in the middle of a large scale RIT training. (We call it RIC, Rapid Intervention Crew). I would be glad to E-Mail our Power Point Preasentation to you. and some practical outlines. This class was a countywide class. E-Mail me if you want at bspini@jocofiredist2.org RIT needs to be tought to everyone not just some.

MembersZone Subscriber

We just finished a course called "Saving Our Own". We learned a version of the Denver Project. One of the originators, Chief Laskey, is the chief of a nieghboring town. We also learned ladder bail, rope bail, SCBA un-intanglement, and various drags. Was quite an eye opener in several ways. I would highly recommend all of this training whether you plan to be on RIT or not.

Thread Information