Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: Whats your view on Forums Registration?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • Everyone should be allowed to View, Only Registered Can Post

134 79.76%
  • Everyone, Including Unregistered Guests, Should be Allowed to Post

7 4.17%
  • Only Registered Users Should be Allowed to View AND Post in the Forums

25 14.88%
  • No clue.

2 1.19%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default Forum Registration/Login Required

Hello all

We'll be testing, on and off, over the next few days a feature which will require EVERYONE to register before viewing the Forums site.

We're going to see how this impacts total page views of the forums, but at the same time how it impacts the number of new posts and threads.

In the first hour alone, over a dozen new participants registering.

The reason for this is to see if by requiring folks to post, they're more likely to participate in the discussion if they're already registered. It also, of course, gives us a better feel for the number of true unique readers of the forums.

Let us know what you think of this idea. It means less guests 'viewing' the forums, but hopefully even more participation following a record month in May for posts.

Thanks
    WebTeam

Administrator

Here's the stats from the first day of our user experiment.

We've opened up the forums, for now, to all users to view including guests but may play with it periodically, especially in off-peak hours, to drive new forum members and encourage them to participate.

New Users Registered Today: 149
    Average New Registered Users/Day: 20

Posts in the Forums Today: 393
    Average Posts/WeekDay Last Month: 290

Active (Posted) Threads Today: 35
    Average Active Threads/Weekday Last Month: 33

Please post any comments here.

We have restricted guests from viewing other users' profiles as well as peforming searches, without registering

Thanks
    Dave

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Angry

DANG! You guys (web team) been hangin' out with John ***_KKKroft or what ??? WHAT are you affraid of???

The "WWW (World Wide Web)" is THE "Soap Box " of the 21 st. century!!! What are you "affraid" of?!?!?!?!?!!! Gee , maybe somebody might have an opion "different " from YOURS ?!?!?!?!!!!!!!

If we ( the People -read U.S. Citizens) had followed THAT we would B cellebrating the "Queen of England's" 50 year riegn just like all them "Limeys" is this past week. ( No offence 2 our 'English' brothern/?sistern? . . . though)

How DARE you think of limiting OUR(read ANYBODY ) who comes across this site from expressing THEIR Oppinion!!!!!!!!! Is your skin that thin????

Oh, O.K., let's just wrap ourselves up in our (your) "little" paper cacoon. Let's "pretend" that the "rest of the World " don'e exist!!!

FREEDOM TO THE MASSES!!! IF YOU CAN HANDLE IT !!! What are U affraid of??? Gee, someone HAS TO give YOU (some one the "new" justice department can haul into court to get our info from?) the NAME, ADDRESS(copmuter) etc.,...etc,... . . . . . a a a a a h h h h h h h. . . . . . . . is this 2002 (the 21st. CENTURY) . . . or 1938 Germany where the Facist "allow " us to think only what "THEY " think we SHOULD think???!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? !!!!!!!!!!

HELLO??????????????

ummm...what the hell are you talking about?

This isn't about censorship.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Settle down Beavis.

MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

What the #@^&((*&%#Q%! was that all about...

Maybe the Websteam can add an AUTOMATIC Spell check...

SCONFIRE
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF
    "Proud FOOL"
    Last edited by sconfire; 06-06-2002 at 09:59 AM.

Denver,

Everytime you post, you make everyone's theory easier to prove. Thank you.

So, where exactly did the Webteam state that someone would not be allowed to post anything?

Stay Safe

Give DenverFarmboy a break...he needs a little O2 therapy because he's either smoking that "Rocky Mountain Red" or he's been rarified O2 deficient air for too long...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Administrator

Geesh.

That's about all we can say about that.

DenverFarmboy has temporarily been removed from the ability to post, since what that post said had nothing to do with what was going on.

Thanks,
    WebTeam

MembersZone Subscriber Engine5FF's Avatar

It must have taken D-F-B all night to post that, with all the italics and bold fonts.

I don't see why it's a big deal to register to post on the boards. I have never received spam from being a member here. No telemarketers. Only bulk mail that I have asked for (news etc.). Registering would keep a little acountability for people who like to stir up trouble. And no worries about unregistered folks just reading the threads is there?
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Forum Member

Default to think I almost missed it

The same thing happened to me as DFB. See my wife watered the plants and some spilled on the keyboard....everytime I typed it looked just like that!

Hey DFB, if you are still allowed to read posts, leave your keyboard in the sun, it'll be fine.

Well, I guess we know who the one vote is from.....
    Last edited by hfd66truck; 06-07-2002 at 12:27 AM.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Someone's had too much caffeine.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Wow... Never really thought about it before, but now I completely understand WHY a poll tells you that you have voted already, and prevents you from seeing the vote screen again.

Somebody forget their happy pill this morning, and really NEEDS a spell check.
    Last edited by Temptaker; 06-07-2002 at 01:55 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

For the record I voted to allow visitors in to view the posts, but not to have posting capability. First because for the amount of time I actually spend reading the really good info that can be found here, should be shared. Not all members of my dept have a profile here, but if I sent a link to something specific, then they can view it. When I send the link I am not asking them to post, I am suggesting an idea or trying to bring a point that is pertinent to my dept specifically. If that privilage were to be recinded, then I would have to spend even more time here (hmmmm is that a bad thing?? I dunno, ask my wife. ) So that I could copy/paste the really good stuff to send around to where it needs to be.

I do however agreet that visitors should be restricted to being able to view the postings only, and not have access to an individual profile. Why would they need to gain access to that information anyway? If they are that interested to know who we are, they can get their own profile, and join the rest of us here in the forums.

That's my tirade for this week. I have to get back to studying for my probie test this weekend. Wish me luck.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

DFB must have been related to the "kid" from MD!

I am all for the spell check though... However...it will limit our ability to do some of the typical FD things that we do.

I have mixed emotions about what to do....so I voted for all to post and view....but think some control should be had by webteam...
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

The only reason I joined is to follow the posts of The Crusty Jakes.
    Even though I have been a Vol.Firefighter for 29 years,I dont feel
    worthy to join this fine group.Watching from the sidelines is good
    enough for me.
    Webteam please put it back the way it was.
    I won't be wronged,I won't be insulted,
    and I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people
    and I require the same from them.

Lightbulb

DenverFarmboy: I'm schizophrenic, and so am I. Lucky some species don't eat their young...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

I think that only registered users should be able to post and obtain profile information. I don't particularly care if nonregistered users can view the forums or not...but then again, I don't always log in just to look around.

I will admit Iíve been a little frustrated the last couple of days because I keep having to log-in over and over. What am I doing wrong webteam? Please bestow your infinite knowledge upon meóitís driving me batty!

As for the spellchecker, I just type my message in Word (at work) and Appleworks (at home) and cut and paste. Spellchecker would be nice, but if itís going to slow the system down, Iíd rather continue doing what Iím doing. Iíve added several new words to the dictionary: webteam, mongo, malahat, alsfirefighterÖ.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Forum Member
    Drifting on a raft in the Carribean Ocean listening to Buffet.

I could use the spell checker myself, but I did not see that option in the poll.????? Me see-um fire. Me put-um water on fire. Para-what?

I like the register thing for posting. I don't believe any yahoo should be able to post here. Look what happened when LHS kept posting under different names. It really created a problem. Who cares if the person reads what we type, maybe they will learn something from a civilized discussion. I think we have one of the best discussion forums in the industry. I have learned a thing or two from some people and have even found old friends like Captain Stan.

Keep up the good work webteam. And everyone have a safe day.

Matt

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan's Avatar

Cool

When I first joined the Forumes, I stated in the Meet and Greet section that I was a "long time reader, but a first time poster". Now the reason that I initally I only read the forumes but never regestered was that I felt that I may not have anything of interest or any tricks of the trade that others may be interested in. However, as I read the forumes I began to understand that they are a wealth of information that a old or young firefighter/ Emt could use. Now to restrict that information from others wether or not they are in the Fire/ Rescue buisness is wrong, let them see what we are all about and let them decide if they want to be part of our community. But if they want to post they must register.
    "Never mistake knowledge for intelligence; it is like mistaking a cup of milk for an entire cow."-Thomas Jefferson

I.A.C.O.J. Member and F.A.R.T.'s local 4 founding member

Mama said she only raised one fool.....Hey wait a minute I'm an ONLY CHILD???

Thread Information