Default new to fire world (rookie Fire_fighter)

I am new to the fire world. I have recently joined the volunteer team in the city i live in (Mexia, Tx) and I'm currently in Fire Academy. So i guess what im looking for is experienced firefighters with any advice they might have that might lead me to be my best. I will keep in touch thanks.
    the rookie

Default Welcome

Well rook all I got to say is this. Listen to your company officers. You will learn only a small portion, of what will keep you alive, in the fire academy. Live fires in the academy are not fire experince. They might be heat and smoke experience, but that is it. When that day comes, and it will, when you pull up on a job and when the bad stuff comes, then you'll truely see what fire is about. Real fires don't go away when you scrw up and there isn't a team right around the corner to bail you out if you screw up. So, like I said, stick close to the old guys, keep your mouth shut and watch & learn. I am career and when I take a new guy into his/her first fire I put them between me and the lead. Their job isn't to put the fire out, it is to learn, to see it, to feel it, to hear it. The key to a career in the fire service is to stay safe so it can be a long career. Then someday, when you've been around ten or more years, you'll be able to take a rook under your arm. Until then, like I said, learn all you can from the old guys. Capt. John King.
    celer et audax

Sr. Information Officer

Default Re: Welcome

Originally posted by FDirish
    So, like I said, stick close to the old guys, keep your mouth shut and watch & learn
    Some excellent advice from FDirish. As he stated so eloquently, the training fires will give you the feel of smoke and heat, however, you must realize that those fires are done under controlled conditions. Things are different in the real world. Factors such as non code building construction, introduction of flammable liquids and hazardous materials are just a few of the nasty possibilities. Simple things like wind speed and direction...and humidity can create havoc on the fireground. And then there is the totally unpredictable human element.

Never relax you vigilance. Never assume, never assume, never assume!

Be observant, listen to the advice of senior firefighters, ask questions as if your life depended on it. IT DOES.

Knowledge is the antidote to fear!

Have a great, safe career!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Default rookie firefighter

Welcome to the hood, as previous firies have stated stick with the senior firies in your department.Look,listen and learn and most important if you don't know or are not sure ask a question as this game is a very serious game and it might seem trivial but if it keeps you or your brothers safe ask it.Stay safe goodluck.Guy Dover.

MembersZone Subscriber

Welcome brother, how well I remember my first days thirty years ago. The thing I remember most is being busting keen to fight fires, save people and test myself and what do you think happened in those first months? Nothing was what! while everyone else on my course went to fires, I was always off when the "big one" happened. My advice if this happens to you is hang loose, remember that you are here for the long term and sooner or later you will see all you could want to see and more besides. They will almost always come, not when you are feeling wide awake and up to any challenge, but when you are tired, sore, bored or have just had a fight with your girlfriend. As a professional you have a duty to be always ready. Right now that will not be a problem but beware of becomming frustrated or disillusioned if emergencies don't arrive when convenient and on cue. Don't let your guard down. As the others have said, resist the temptation to tell everyone what they are doing wrong or could do better. Even if you are right you won't make friends by saying so and even the laziest grumpiest most cynical old timer knows something that you can learn if you can avoid being labelled a young smartass. Don't take silly risks to try to impress others, any accident or injury to you is not just inconvenient for you, but it costs money that could be spent on better equipment or training. Remember every good turn done to you and forget every insult or putdown. Your time will come as surely as night follows day. Handle more than your "fair share" of the hard work and really listen to your supervisors. If your experience is like mine, the toughest challenge will be "fitting in" and there is nothing more important than that at this stage of your career. If ever you really believe you are being treated badly or unfairly seek advice from someone trustworthy and senior before lodging an official complaint. They are only worth it for the ones where you will go all the way and someone should lose their job over it. Anything else is not worth the hassle and will ultimately cause you more grief. You have joined a worldwide fraternity in the best career in the world and have friends now in places you can't spell or pronounce. Good luck to you and stay safe.
    Jim Maclean. IACOJ NZ branch

Thread Information