widbey island wa from cobb island maryland

Post Has this happened to you? How long?

Hey guys. Just wondering how long its been since everyones last call. Its been about 2 weeks (tomarrow being 2 weeks)here(Whidbey Island). seems that now that the probies have been given their pagers, and deemed "able to ride" that we haven't got toned for anything. last call we had was a beauty bark fire!!!!!! and a PWC put that out before we got there!!!!!! Starting to get a lil worried, ya know. Seems when you go too long with nothing you get a big really bad one . Starting to think that all the probies are "white clouds". any how im done now

roll safe and see you there
    The words on my post are my thoughts, my thoughts have nothing to do with the department in which I volunteer, and other organizations I work

i do it all for the money, yup i make the big bucks!!!!
    cobb island VOLUNTEER fire department and ems CO 6
    whidbey island VOLUNTEER fire department and ems station 25

Forum Member

Yesterday-2 car mva before that was Sunday-trailer house fire.
    Steve
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    SUA SPONTE
    "I've got no respect for any young man who won't join the colors."
    ~Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

On the other side of the coin, I was looking the "journal" on 'puter at the station today and found:

May 25
    Feb 20
    Jan 7, 21, 24

Those are the only days this year we haven't had calls! Granted most are EMS, but that's getting real busy.

I can remember back 15 years ago before the ambulance (but still doing first responder calls) it wasn't unusual for us to go a week between calls, even 2 weeks sometimes. So far this week I've personally been on one grass fire, four medical calls, and just missed having to go on a 2nd ambulance crew.
    Last edited by Dalmatian90; 06-06-2002 at 12:47 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

With everything bing so dry around here we have at least a fire a day sometime 7-8. In a normal year we can go a week with out a call

Just got back from another call... sorry, don't know what your going through...

Ah, there go the med guys...

Good Luck to ya...

We have had three runs in the last three and a half months. Our latest was a MVA Tues. morning, before that was two false alarms on the same day for an alarm happy old lady in mid April, and a MVA in mid March. The weeks of Christmas and New years we had about 7 runs most of which were fire's( an apt., a dog house, pump house at a paper mill, and a brush/grass fire, and I believe 1 or 2 car fires)

Forum Member

00:30 this morning, alarm activation. Vacationers sitting in their hotel room smoking cigarettes wondering what the little round thing in the ceiling was...

Don't wish for more calls, there is no such thing as a "good" fire.

Originally posted by Bones

Don't wish for more calls, there is no such thing as a "good" fire.
    funny thing about it is i really don't wish a bad thing on anyone ya know. but id still like to get some calls. guess im weird like that. but in a sence im happy that no one needs us.

me
    The words on my post are my thoughts, my thoughts have nothing to do with the department in which I volunteer, and other organizations I work

Disillusioned Subscriber

We count the time between calls in hours. We average around 15 to 20 calls a day. Most are EMS, but it all keeps us busy.
    Last edited by Steamer; 06-07-2002 at 10:39 PM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

During the last two days I have missed 5 calls due to work at the other job I get payed for. They were 2 MVA's. 2 Boo-Boo calls, and some public service call.
    Reckon everyone gets antsy when the tones don't go off for a fewdays around here and they all figure a biggin is a comin r way. Me, I felt that way, way back when also. Now days, at least the trucks stay clean, the equipment stays clean and stowed, the miles stay down, the electric bill stays down, the fuel bills stay down, the food bills stay down, equipment wasn't broken or lost, or stolen from those darm Mutual aid companies, Sirens didn't go off, didn't miss a meal, did the honey do list, and by gosh sometimes I act like the older guys around here. Hey just kiddin.
    Running 20 -40 calls a day would make me mad.

Keep Doing It For The Right Reasons!!!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

We had an MVA with entrapment a couple of weeks ago. But since we don't do rescue yet (much to my disappointment) only our Chief responded with the mutual aid company.

Prior to that, I think that the last call we had was in early May? It's been awhile--of that I can assure you.

We just added a few square miles to our district, so I figure we'll run 80 calls this year. We generally run our butts off on grass fires for about two weeks in February and then run a call here and there for the rest of the year.

No medicals yet.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Dispatch Dweller
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

Last Wednesday had a person call in a gas plant flare as a grass fire, and immediately after that a pickup truck dumped some gas on the road that we cleaned up.

Sunday night we had a pool house on fire.

About par for the course for us.

--j.

Talking FINALLY

well we had our first tone out in 2 and half weeks on i think it was friday. auto fire alarm, at our chiefs place of employment we got put back in service just as we showed on scene, but hey we finally rolled since then only info pages have toned. so now we go back into waiting i guess, hey at lest our med side stays busy, guess im gonna have to get fuly med qualled in washington state so i can have some fun

Forum Member

Tuesday night 2calls, Monday 3 calls, Sunday don't remember, Saturday 1 call. We don't run any type of medical. If we did we would never be home. We have gone I think 1 week without a call.

However we did go 1 1/2 years without a structure fire, then we had 7 in 3 weeks.

Default Well

we had our calls today!!!! one was a brush fire and it happened 15 mins after i got to work. my pager never triped. guess its from all the electronics here you have to have your pager in certain areas for it to work. needless to say i hadn't put it there yet but about a hour ago we got toned out to but out a burn pile. i made it to the station but another one of our distric's stations were already on the air. but hay i made it and got my name on the paper right. 2 calls 2 days wow think we are on a roll now but don'w want to jinx myself ttyl

FIGJAM

About 3 hours. Powerlines on road as a result of a tree blowing over onto them....
    Luke

Default Last Call

A couple of Days, but it could be 2 mins or 2 weeks.

Just 3 weeks ago I was trying to get out of town to go to
    our state's fire school and we had 3 PI's back to back to back,
    with the last one being extended extrication and air-evac and I
    was the incident commander.

As ever in this business it is unpredicatble. Part of what
    draws most of us to it, IMHO.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Last Call

EMS call this morning, assisting the local Volunteer Ambulance Company. We had 434 Calls last year (whatever that averages out to), so we are fairly busy. During a storm earlierr this year we ran 128 incidents (Cellar Pumps, Wires Down, Trees Down, Auxiliary Generators, Traffic Control, etc.) in a 24 hour period.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

Thread Information