MembersZone Subscriber

Question Background check

Firehouse.com news

I was wondering how many people have had a background check done and did you pay for it or was it paid for you? I know when I was hired on as a vollie, a check was done on me. So I was surprised to read in the article that the department doesn't want to do the check because of cost. Well to me, if the vollie really want's to be here, he should do whatever it takes to get on right?
    Joel

Lets never forget the events of 9-11

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

Hey Firelover,

Up here in the frozen north, criminal record checks are a pre-employment requisite for paid depts. They are done at a national level, as we have RCMP which is a national police force. The local forces more or less dump into the same data base. In BC it is the employees responsibility and it costs about $40.00. The only problem is that you can't do it for all depts across the board. If you apply for more then one, you have to have it done again, but they usually don't require it until you are testing. You can't use a a photo copy, of the paper they give you back as evidence of having it done.

I do think in light of recent events, that criminal record searches should be done on an international level. It couldn't possibly be that difficult for one agency to forward the prints to another or to just have an international data base.

It would probably cost a lot of money to set such a thing up, but would be well worth it in the end.

when i was doing all me paperwork to become a vol. i had to get finger printed and a backround check as well. Im not sure who paid for it but i can tell you that i didnt.
    Jeff Gurski

MembersZone Subscriber

As an employee for a city we do a big time check prior to employment. Driving history, drug test, polygraph, psych test, and FBI search criminal history through fingerprints are all done. Not many ways around all that.

As a vollie years back in Virginia we went through criminal history checks through local police plus DMV check.

It should be a standard throughout the nation. Vollie or paid we all need to control those in our ranks. Its the community's plus our safety on the line.
    " The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson

Forum Member

That whole article is ugly. How much would your local PD charge to do a background check? Ours does it for free. And what's with the statement from the police lt. "Lt. Denholm says Maglitto had every right as an emergency responder to disregard the rules of the road". Since when? Bad bad situation.

And to top it off... "Meanwhile, the Rosehill fire chief says Maglitto will stay on duty until the investigation is over."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default background check

It is time that all of us, paid and volunteer, consider it an honor and a privledge to be a firefighter. In recruitment of volunteers, we should have an equal or higher standard to recruitment of paid firefighters. And it is mandatory that if any firefighter is involved in any accident involving injury or death, that person be suspended immediately pending an investigation. This is what is done in police departments around the country - why not us.

Bones:

I concur with your question regarding with "every right as an emergency responder to disregard the rules of the road".

That was the first misconception to be cleared up in my EMT class (in an NREMT state). We don't have that right - EVER. You can't run red lights without STOPPING to make sure no one crosses your path. You can't run down a 4 lane residential boulevard like a banchee at 65+ MPH.

This guy really stuck his foot in his mouth.

As for the background checks...I'm surprised to see them cost $40. If my department had to run one (I'm not sure), I certainly didn't pay for it. However, cities should run them for next-to-nothing if the person is a potential employee of that city.
    Spec. Krista M. Aukeman, United States Army

Some day, in years to come, you will be wrestling with the great temptation, or trembling under the great sorrow of your life. But the real struggle is here, now, in these quiet weeks. Now it is being decided whether, in the day of your supreme sorrow or temptation, you shall miserably fail or gloriously conquer. Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process.
    - Phillips Brooks

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by crash_bgfdchick
    Bones:

I concur with your question regarding with "every right as an emergency responder to disregard the rules of the road".

That was the first misconception to be cleared up in my EMT class (in an NREMT state). We don't have that right - EVER. You can't run red lights without STOPPING to make sure no one crosses your path. You can't run down a 4 lane residential boulevard like a banchee at 65+ MPH.

This guy really stuck his foot in his mouth.

As for the background checks...I'm surprised to see them cost $40. If my department had to run one (I'm not sure), I certainly didn't pay for it. However, cities should run them for next-to-nothing if the person is a potential employee of that city.
    Actually, the $40 is in Canadian dollars, so it's not actually that bad. And our motor vehicle act does allow us to "break" the law to some extend. I'm not defending this criminal, but I'm defending myself that if I ever had to cross a double yellow, or go down the wrong way on a one way that I have permission from the provincial ministry of transportation. Below is the section on emergency vehicle operation according to the New Brunswick Motor Vehicle Act.

110(1) The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle, when responding to an emergency call or when in the pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law or when responding to but not upon returning from a fire alarm, may exercise the privileges set forth in this section, but subject to the conditions herein stated.

110(2) The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle may

(a) park or stand, irrespective of the provisions of this Act,

(b) proceed past a red or stop signal or stop sign, but only after slowing down as may be necessary for safe operation,

(c) exceed the speed limits so long as he does not endanger life or property, and

(d) disregard regulations governing direction of movement or turning in specified directions.

110(3) Subject to subsections (3.1) and (3.2), the privileges set forth in this section apply only when the driver of the authorized emergency vehicle sounds a bell, siren or exhaust whistle while the vehicle is in motion and when the vehicle is equipped with at least one lighted lamp displaying a flashing red light visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of one hundred fifty metres to the front of the vehicle.

110(3.1) An authorized emergency vehicle operated as a police vehicle by a peace officer is not required to be equipped with a lighted lamp displaying a flashing red light or display a red light visible from in front of the vehicle and the peace officer when following a suspected violator of the law is not required to sound a bell, siren or exhaust whistle.

110(3.2) The driver of an ambulance is required to sound a bell, siren or exhaust whistle only when the ambulance is approaching a vehicle, a pedestrian or an intersection.

110(4) This section does not relieve the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and property.

1955, c.13, s.94; 1957, c.21, s.7; 1959, c.23, s.6A; 1961-62, c.62, s.29; 1977, c.M-11.1, s.17; 1993, c.5, s.2.

110.1(1) The Minister may authorize a search and rescue organization to operate motor vehicles as authorized emergency vehicles under this Act.

110.1(2) At the time an authorization is given under this section or at any later time, the Minister may place conditions on the authorization.

110.1(3) The Minister may revoke or suspend an authorization given under this section.

1993, c.5, s.3.
    Joel

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

Forum Member

FireLover -
    110(4) This section does not relieve the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and property
    That one statement says it all. He may have been using due regard and not be at fault...but chances are....

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Absolutely!

I totally agree with your statement there, and that's why I think that he should be charged with murder and sent to prison. I know that there's been a few accidents here in the Maritimes and it's an extremely big deal and I believe that one driver was charged, but I don't remember what was the outcome.
    Joel

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

When I joined my volly house and when I applied to my paid job I had to sign releases to perform a BCI check. I think that every dept. big or small should do them to reduce the liability of employing a questionable person. I also do not believe that vollys should have any lights or siren in their POV. Every year their are many incidents in which firefighters and civilians alike are killed or seriously injured due to reckless drivingv during response. When the adrenaline flows all common sense goes out the window. Only a personal opinion.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Truckie

PuffyNPFD
    I think that every dept. big or small should do them to reduce the liability of employing a questionable person. I also do not believe that vollys should have any lights or siren in their POV.
    Excellent points, I couldn't agree more. With lights and siren, the liability is to great, not to mention, how many times has a citizen failed to see a big red fire truck with all the bells and whistles? Let alone the trusty cavalier with them.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Chick,

You would know if you had one done. You get finger printed at the local pd. We pay for it here because it is done BEFORE you are employed. I'm sure if there was a question later, the city would pay for it. How often should they be done? I wouldn't mind seeing them done every 5 or 10 years, just because of people like this. Say he applied for a job, had a BGC done, and two weeks later got convicted and recieved probation. That conviction wouldn't show up because it was done after the fact. The pd wouldn't contact the employer.

We also have to submit a drivers abstract prior to employment. It might be a good idea to continue doing those checks as well. If you have more then two tickets in the previous 5 years, you wont be hired by most of the depts here (Can't think of one that would hire you, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exsist).

Puffy

I totally agree. If a regular dept engine has to obey the rules of the road, then a POV should as well. I understand that they want to get to the call, but at what price? People a lot of the time don't get out of the way of regular dept vehicles, what makes people think that they are going to respond to a blue light on a POV?

Thread Information