MembersZone Subscriber

Default Honda Insight & Civic Hybrid

I apologize if this has been covered already.
    Yesterday our local Honda dealer came over with the 2002 Insight and Civic hybrids. These cars are part electric and gas powered. I am wondering if any one has had to deal with them in a serious extrication or fire.
    The battery is a dry cell at about 144 volts, the dealer told us that you don't want to mess with the electric that drives the car. (it has two electric systems one to drive the car and another to start the gas engine). When you look under the hood you see a small engine and battery to start it. The battery to drive the car is under the trunk area in the Insight and behind the rear seat in the Civic. Their is no shut off that is easily accessable to us. Their is a large orange cable run that carries the current for the drive system you can see it near the fire wall under the hood and it runs along the body on the passenger side to the back where the batteries are.

My question is how do you make this thing safe for us to work around?
    At liest you can recognize the Insight, the civic looks like any other civic except for the lable at the rear of the car.

Any help or insight into the Insight and Civic would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Disillusioned Subscriber

Check this link for Hybrid Cars. This is a series of articles here on Firehouse.com. They were actually very good with lots of info. Far too much to post here. Take the time to read the whole series of articles. They're very good.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you I missed them last summer. Their is some good info there and answered some questions.

I just have one other thing to ask
    With the ignition off the high voltage cables are dead and if cut will not be a problem?

When we asked the dealer he seemed to think that in a crash their still could be power running through the high voltage system and if the breaker on the battery (which is behind the back seat in the Civic) was thrown the capacitor would hold power in the high voltage system for at liest 5 minutes.

Just looking for some clarification, thanks

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

ADSN, contact Ron Moore or Carl Avery, these two guys are our resident "Guru's" when it comes to questions on almost any of these odd/new type vehicles. AND THEY SHARE EVERYTHING they know.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

We had an Insight at, of all things, an arson seminar I recently attended. The speaker was basically an engineer who had instructions not to say anything that could get them sued... but the gist if what I got was that the orange cable run is something to be aware of, but if things are working "properly", there would be no power in these cables when the car is shut off. Also keep in mind that these are DC batteries and that the power in the car is not seeking "ground", so the shock hazard is not present from touching the car while standing in a pool of water... HOWEVER, there could be a serious concern when touching the car in such a way as to complete a circuit within the car and your body becomes the connection. Not sure how we would address this short of carrying volt meters to check potential before we touch anything... and with the dynamics of a resuce, every thing we move could cause a change in the potential.

But if all is working porperly, the biggest problem we have is the potential for leakage from these batteries. There are spill kits out there designed specifically for battery acids. Besides the danger to occupants and rescuers, we also need to be concerned with what kind of havok this stuff could play on our road surfaces if we experience a large spill on the highway.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

The brand new emergency procedures guidebook produced by Honda Motors specifically for the 2002 Civic gas-electric hybrid is going into production as we speak. Within a short period of time, I will be able to post the procedures for obtaining copies of this interesting document. It will have an Honda item number and a slight cost.

Within its pages, you will see specific recommendations directly from Honda on dealing with this new 4-door hybrid.

The previous posted information is correct regarding the orange cables. With the ignition off and the 12-volt battery disconnected, there will be NO power within the orange electric cables.

The battery for both the Honda Insight (that wierd looking 2-door coupe) and the new Civic Hybrid are classified by the U.S. government as "dry cell" batteries. There will be NO fluid leakage from a fractured open Honda hybrid high-voltage battery.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Holmaltro also makes a emergency response guide, that is carried on our apparatus, and I beleive they are updating to include the new hybrid vehicles.

Thread Information