Forum Member

As a response to a previous poster, I would NEVER tie off the victim before the vehicle is tied off. If that vehicle starts to go, the victim will be what's holding that 4 tons of vehicle from falling. And that alone will probably kill the victim.

I would start off by securing the vehicle with what ever we had. (depending on what truck I happened to be on) The least preferrable would be ropes and webbing, but I'd use it in a heart beat if it's all I had. I'd just use as much of it as I could. Chains or cable would be preferrable if they were availible. With either method I would take up as much slack as I could without trying to lift the vehicle. I'd use at least two full size apparatus as anchors if possible for the truck, with a third for the boat. I would make my attachment point on the frame as far back as possible so the the rescuer would have less chance of being taken down if the truck slipped. Of course I want the anchor to be as parallel to the downward angle of the truck as possible. Once the truck is secured, I can go after the patient. depending on the condition of the patient, I would use either ground ladders (tied off) or an aerial. Safety lines on the rescuers and vitim at this point.

Back In Black

First of all, thanks for reviving this 9 year old thread.

You have to tie off/secure the vehicle. With that said, you don't want that occupant moving a Swedish uh... well, you don't want him moving a bit. Lowering a harness to a scared and untrained person, not sure I want to chance that. Better they stay scared and still.

Tie off the trailer, then the truck (straps, chains, along with what T.C. posted).

THEN lower a high angle dude with a strap to grab Giligan.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    First of all, thanks for reviving this 9 year old thread.

You have to tie off/secure the vehicle. With that said, you don't want that occupant moving a Swedish uh... well, you don't want him moving a bit. Lowering a harness to a scared and untrained person, not sure I want to chance that. Better they stay scared and still.

Tie off the trailer, then the truck (straps, chains, along with what T.C. posted).

THEN lower a high angle dude with a strap to grab Giligan.
    CAREFUL Ken, you'll make the schitlist with those radical ideas,hehe T.C.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    CAREFUL Ken, you'll make the schitlist with those radical ideas,hehe T.C.
    That's me, a radical!

You don't know how a panicked person is going to react. I can remember training to be a lifeguard and having the instructor damn near drown me first time I tried to "rescue" him. I'll NEVER forget that.

It's the same logic on why we LOWER an aerial ladder to a victim, not RAISE it to a victim. They still teach that?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Thread Information