Default Storytime at library

I started a fire prevention program with the help of the childrens department manager at the local library. We call it "Fun With A Franklin Firefighter" I go in one time a month and read stories to children. I usually have my structural fire gear and SCBA all laid out on the floor in front of the children and have them sit on the floor. I proceed to explain all my gear and don it as I explain. I then read at least two stories and the children's manager reads poems and signs some songs. At the end of the session the children make craft items to take home. We have a selection of library books dealing with firefighters and prevention at the front of the classroom and then let the children pick out books the check out and bring home. After the fourth reading we had approx 35 kids in the reading session.
    firesauce241

Forum Member

Good idea !!! We have tried something very similar to this with good results. We have gone to story time at local library and gave short prevention talks to the children and their parents, then we follow up by reading a fire related story. We will be doing this again next week but this time we are carrying a truck for display afterwards. We are looking for plans to build a fire truck reading table at library.Does anyone still have them ?? This is small portable table that has fire truck sides -that small children go inside and sit down on seat and read books while visiting library. thanks for help><>

Thread Information