MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default This is Sort of a Serious, Sort of Not Quite So Serious Question

Has anyone read some of the header text at the top of the forums pages? I just happen to look and see something that caught my attention:

Hand Held Software Tools: Emgergency EMS Translator

This is where this becomes a serious/not so serious questions come up:

(serious question) From a tech point of view, is this hand held unit for use as an Aide Memoire while dealing with any or most situations? I am asking for the "non-sales" pitch on this question.

(not so serious question) This sounds like something from Star Trek, and the technobabble is such that you need a translator to figure out how something works. Is the medical jargon so intense that even the EMS guys need a hand occasionally?

(serious question again) This unit appears to carry a very comprehensive data base. Has anyone got one or tried one out to see how effective they are?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

I got to witness these things at a trauma conference last year, and they are pretty impressive - an electronic quick treatment/protocol reference, with translation into Spanish or French capabilities - and they've got a fairly concise "library" in them.

I didn't pay too much attention to the technical details, since the ones they were selling cost a little over $300 - I've got a $2 set of bound index cards with all the stuff that I typically forget and any commonly needed questions/etc. in Spanish typed and laminated to them. Not as cool, but a heck of a bunch cheaper.
    Last edited by FFPug163; 06-09-2002 at 02:21 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

My wife (being the good wife that she is) last year got me one of those Brookstone international translators because she knew what trouble I was having learning to comprende Espanol. Needless to say, there's no phase for "Get the hell out of the house, you're gonna die." I scrolled through the whole thing before finding that out.
    Michael "Mick" Mayers
    Acting Director, Urban Search and Rescue
    South Carolina Emergency Response Task Force
    www.sctf1.sc.gov

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

The palm pilot has a program in which you could beam in an EMS field guide. (If this is what you are refering to) As far as the translation, English is good enough for me. Most of the time they give you that "smile" . They know what you are saying most of the time just playing dumb. So grab em by the ear and lead the way!!
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation They're Playin with ya!!

I have found that MOST of those who speak spanish are playin games with ya. The way that I determine if they can understand english is to say "You're shoe's untied" if they look down, chances are they understood you loud and clear. And if that don't work, I think all spanish speaking people know the word JAIL!!! Just point to the bambulance and say, HELP, then point to the PD Car and say JAIL. They usually end up getting into the bus. And think of it this way, if they can't understand you and you can't understand them, well then, you know how a veterinarian feels.....
    COFire
    PROTECTING THOSE WHO DEFEND AMERICA ===================================

Since I'm headed for San Antonio, my mom bought me some cassette tapes..."Spanish for Medical Professionals". It gives you the basic vocab needed.

The Palm Pilot things are cool, just a little outside my student-ary budget!
    Spec. Krista M. Aukeman, United States Army

Some day, in years to come, you will be wrestling with the great temptation, or trembling under the great sorrow of your life. But the real struggle is here, now, in these quiet weeks. Now it is being decided whether, in the day of your supreme sorrow or temptation, you shall miserably fail or gloriously conquer. Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process.
    - Phillips Brooks

FIGJAM

Our ambulance service over here is trialling electornic reports, protocals, etc.

It may very well be the same thing, or similar.

I like the idea of a quick reference at their disposal. Especially if its me their treating! I'd hate for them to give me just a little too much Potassium or give me somthing thats gonna make me sterile!

They are ONLY ambo's after all!!!!!!!
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

If they don't also translate Italian, Polish, Yiddish, Islamic, Russian and "THE QUEENS ENGLISH" it's of no use to me.

Forum Member

Don't forget Creole!!
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

Administrator

Lets keep this post on topics. Racial/Ethnic slurs and implied racial/ethnic slurs have no place here. Said posts have been removed.

Remember....Keep Topics ON the Topic.

Thank you
    WebTeam

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Spanish Translators

I was doing a search and this came back up (we only posted to it a VERY long time ago). Have you tried the new "Fly Through" Spanish Translator? It's a pen that recognizes written words and will translate them into Spanish, using of course, the software and special paper. That being said, it was THIS year's Christmas present from my wife (like I said earlier, she's the best) and although it won't translate an entire phrase at one time (or if it does, I haven't figured it out yet), but I can write a word like "arm" and get it to translate.
    Michael "Mick" Mayers
    Acting Director, Urban Search and Rescue
    South Carolina Emergency Response Task Force
    www.sctf1.sc.gov

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by truck6alpha
    I was doing a search and this came back up (we only posted to it a VERY long time ago). Have you tried the new "Fly Through" Spanish Translator? It's a pen that recognizes written words and will translate them into Spanish, using of course, the software and special paper. That being said, it was THIS year's Christmas present from my wife (like I said earlier, she's the best) and although it won't translate an entire phrase at one time (or if it does, I haven't figured it out yet), but I can write a word like "arm" and get it to translate.
    What if your handwriting sucks? Does it still work? Do you have to use print or can you use cursive? Sounds interesting, especially here in TX where there are quite a few Spanish speaking individuals. What is your overall opinion? Worth it?

Forum Member

The new laptops that they are giving to the ambos have a spanish translator on them. You pick a phrase from a list and it will say it in spanish. But you still have no idea what they are saying to you. As has been said before, without polish, russian, chinese, all the middle eastern dialects, etc. it will be of limited usefulness.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
    Not for nothing, but English is our language. If you want to play in this country you should learn the language. Otherwise, you get what you ask for.
    In your perfect world, anyone who came to this country would know the language before they get here. But we aren't in a perfect world, so we need to be able to communicate with others. Your response was norrow-minded and useless. Isn't it time for your Klan meeting?

Question - have you traveled outside the US? Did you know the language of the country you went to? Thousands of Americans visit Mexico each year and have no clue how to speak Spanish.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RadRob
    In your perfect world, anyone who came to this country would know the language before they get here. But we aren't in a perfect world, so we need to be able to communicate with others. Your response was norrow-minded and useless. Isn't it time for your Klan meeting?

Question - have you traveled outside the US? Did you know the language of the country you went to? Thousands of Americans visit Mexico each year and have no clue how to speak Spanish.
    I don't think it is the people vacationing in the U.S. that trojan is complaining about. I think it is the person who has been here for years and never bothered to learn the language. If I was moving overseas, you can bet that I would have at least a basic understanding of the native language before I even left and complete fluency very shortly after I got there. Would you move to Germany and live there for years and never bother to learn German? I doubt it. I guess I will be meeting trojan at the klan rally. I've never been to one before - should I bring a bundt cake or something?
    Last edited by ChicagoFF; 12-30-2005 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    I don't think it is the people vacationing in the U.S. that trojan is complaining about. I think it is the person who has been here for years and never bothered to learn the language. If I was moving overseas, you can bet that I would have at least a basic understanding of the native language before I even left and complete fluency very shortly after I got there. Would you move to Germany and live there for years and never bother to learn German? I doubt it. I guess I will be meeting trojan at the klan rally. I've never been to one before - should I bring a bundt cake or something?
    Not just the people vacationing are what I am referencing. I would say I agree with you that they SHOULD learn the language. But they don't. Does that mean when their life is threatened for whatever reason and we can't communicate with them, that they deserve to die? That is a stupid stance. A spanish speaking person's life is not worth less because they don't know English. People not speaking our language is something that will NEVER end. It is our jobs to ensure that we can provide the proper care for those people, even if we think they should learn "our language". To say that they "get what they ask for", is just wrong. IMHO.

Forum Member

Not just the people vacationing are what I am referencing. I would say I agree with you that they SHOULD learn the language. But they don't. Does that mean when their life is threatened for whatever reason and we can't communicate with them, [COLOR=Red]that they deserve to die?[/COLOR] That is a stupid stance. A spanish speaking person's life is not worth less because they don't know English. People not speaking our language is something that will NEVER end. It is our jobs to ensure that we can provide the proper care for those people, even if we think they should learn "our language". To say that they "get what they ask for", is just wrong. IMHO.
    No, of course they don't "deserve" anything less than our best effort. That said, without the ability to communicate with them, they will get less from our best effort than someone who is able to tell us all the information we need to know to help them. That's just the way it is. I don't think trojan stating the obvious makes him a racist or makes him a potential klan member. Without the ability to communicate, we don't know meds, allergies, history, what brought on the problem, how long it's been going - anything. People who CHOOSE not to be able to communicate with the society they are a member of bear some of the responsibility for a lessend standard of care they may receive due to that language barrier.

MembersZone Subscriber

Shoot, if i travel one county south i'm not fluent in the language!!

earl
    "if women can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"

Forum Member

Thousands of Americans visit Mexico each year and have no clue how to speak Spanish.
    and vice versa...

I have picked up enough phrases en espanol here and there to get by at a medical. What I do find awkward is having to have a preschooler translate engilish into spanish and vice versa.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Default Electronic Translator

Please see the demo of Electronic Translator
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRQcTtJY1jQ

What do you think about this device?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

[b]
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisNYC View Post
    Please see the demo of Electronic Translator
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRQcTtJY1jQ

What do you think about this device?
    Serious SideOk... I'll bite. It gives the appearance of being voice activated? If it works, great!

Not So Serious Side Does this thread get a prize for getting revived not once but TWICE in five years?
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 06-20-2007 at 11:42 PM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information