Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Default Here's a scenario.

This is an accident we ran last year. I would like to hear what y'all would've done on this call. Sorry don't have any pictures.

4 door car comes off the interstate and down the access road. The driver loses control and goes down into a drainage ditch. The ditch is all concrete and the car plows into the tunnel that goes under a road. The car is buried upto the dash of the car. Workspace on both sides of the vehicle is about one foot with concrete embankments going up at 45 degree angles. Transmission fluid, oil and anti-freeze is leaking and creating a slippery surface to work on. There is one patient who is restrained in the driver's seat. Right foot is pinned under a foot pedal and he is acting combative. There is also a golf club set and a shotgun with shells littering the area.

I'll post what was done later.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Stabilize vehicle best you can. Remove roof. One rescuer in car to cut/move pedal from foot. KED and backboard up and out the back. Then, hit a 3 wood to see how far it will travel with the bounces in the concrete.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I will start this off by saying that I briefly discussed this with FF26, and I managed to convince him that the use of small explosives WAS NOT A GOOD IDEA. Sorry 26, had to get that one in.

Now for the real answer: (I love this classroom stuff - lots of time to think about a problem)

1) there is only approx 1 foot work space on each side; this poses an access problem, but cars are tapered in at the top, so that is ok in this case? First thing (after the 360 view and cribbing are done, and a handline is pulled, also lay down a layer of absorbant to make a less slippery walking surface) is to pop the rear window and try to get someone inside to remove the weapon, the golf clubs and maybe calm the PT.

2) after the veh is secured, I think the best thing to do would be to try to flap the roof from the A posts, if they are accessable. If not, the plan B would be to cut the D and C posts and flap forward. Somewhere at this time, hopefully the PT has calmed down somewhat and that may allow his foot to come free.

3) if his foot has not come free then careful application of a pedal cutter is in order.

4) extrication of the PT using a spine board and spider straps to remove him from the vehicle. (we don't carry a KED)

5) hopefully RCMP/State or County Police have arrived, to take charge of the shotgun. (why did this guy have a weapon and ammo loose in the cabin anyway?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

FIGJAM

Put the golf clubs in the truck- they'll come in handy later on when its all over.

Have someone grab the gun and keep an eye on the casualty- he may be wanted- we might get the bounty reward! (God knows we need the funding...)

Stabilise first.

Break rear glass to gain access intothe vehicle. (Rear window is the biggest and easiest to access)

Either remove or flap the roof to get access into the car.

Attempt to move seat back or wind back.

Disentangle feet or cut pedals with pedal cutter.

Remove in line, on board up over the back parcel shelf.

Beleive it or not, the pictures below are of an MVA we attended a few years back- car rolled over into the drain, outside a gun club!
    The driver was scalped by the moving/collapsing roof and was "time-critical".

I don't know about other brands, but Holmatro tools work under water so we were able to vertical spread the door. Then pop latch and hinges. Using cuters we then flapped roof back enough to get casualty out. Our main advantage with ours was that we had a bit more room to move...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Luke

FIGJAM

A piccy of the completed job...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

Nice pictures, as always Lutan. And your question about hydaulics working underwater is a valid one. It never occured to me to consider that, I will be bringing that one to the table later in the week.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

FIGJAM

Thanks Malahat!

I can't see any reason as to why other brands won't work under water- they're all sealed units as such...
    Luke

Forum Member

most of y'all did the same thing we did.

we stablized the vehicle, laid down two charged lines. we attempted to calm the pt but with the suspected head injury he was very difficult. we did a roof removal and then cut off the steering wheel. we managed to untangle the foot from the pedal. we then held the pt and put on a KED (great things if you have the patience for them. a backboard was slid back and pt placed on the backboard.

total time to extricate was about 35 minutes. Sheriff's Office took care of the firearms and ammo. The only injury the pt had was a compound fracture of the ankle. The suspected head injury turned out to be low blood sugar.

as for why the ammo and gun were there, the only thing we can think of is the guy was tired of the geese on the golf courses taking his golfballs.
    IACOJ Attack

Forum Member

I don't know about other brands, but Holmatro tools work under water
    Hurst tools are also underwater compatible. Years ago we even used them in salt water, just gotta rinse them rrreeeeaaaallll good.

MembersZone Subscriber

as for why the ammo and gun were there, the only thing we can think of is the guy was tired of the geese on the golf courses taking his golfballs.
    I LMFAO on that one. And no doubt it was probably an accurate assessment. Some people just have no sense of humour when it comes to birds and golfing.

Forum Member

tell me about, i get upset whenever i don't hit a bird with a golf ball at least once. heck, i'm happy if i don't hit a human out there, other then the one in the little car that scoops up golf balls off the hitting range.
    IACOJ Attack

Thread Information