Question Turnout Gear or Jumpsuits for Vehicle Extrication

I realize that this topic has been posted previously, but I need some data and would welcome input. I'm interested in how many departments provide some type of jumpsuit for their rescue companies (companies that have firefighting responsibilities in addition to responding to vehicle accidents and other incidents that fall under the USAR definition. If jumpsuits are provided, what are they made of? Do they meet NFPA 1977 Wildland Firefighting standards? Are they made of Nomex, Indura, or some other flame resistant finish? Is anyone wearing EMS type suits that provide the Cross Tech barrier protection against blood borne pathogens, in addition, to flash protection? Also, is anyone aware of any suits on the market yet that meet NFPA 1951 standard for USAR operations? I would really appreciate any info or opinions on this subject. I'm having trouble finding info and there are no paid departments that I'm aware of in my area (NC) that provide jumpsuits.
    Last edited by khelms; 06-09-2002 at 05:05 PM.

Forum Member
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Cool

Khelms,Our department utilizes full turnout gear. The money to buy extrication suits for 800+ ffs is not available.

We are looking at using the new gear coming out that meets NFPA 1951. Richochet Gear will have there gear meeting the 1951 standard sometime in August. They offer both a Jumpsuit and a pants/coat set. Fire-Dex has a line of gear called Para-Dex, I don't know if they are going to have it rated for 1951. And I believe Global EMS will also have a set of gear. All of these are using the CrossTech Nomex Fabric. I know the Richochet gear has different choices on liners, including a Polar fleece Nomex liner.

We looked at the Extrication Jumpsuit that is being made by American FireWear, but didn't like that it didn't have a liner that could be added and it was just Nomex and doesn't offer any protection from wind or water.

The Richochet Gear pants, coat and Nomex Liner was around $840 a set. I run with a rescue squad in Virginia that provides both EMS and Rescue services. This new gear meets our needs for doing both. Full strucural turn out gear just isn't an option when we can almost buy two sets of 1951 for the cost of one set of PBI.

Later,

Mike

Thread Information