Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hartse
    Don't get my wrong i didn't mean it like that, all i meant to say we are all undertrained. And by everything i do mean Interior.
    Regardless, If Im not mistaken your dept is violating Child Labour Laws by letting you do this...Thatd sure be something Id want my dept to be known for
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by jaddie
    Hey jr. jakes.... Trust me, when we all go in , we ARE AFRAID, and any jake you guys meet who says they arent, SHOULD NOT be doing the job....

*** Rest in peace: Tommy,Timmy,Jay,Joe,Paul and Jerry 12/3/99*****
    T-1, E-3 and R-1
    I beg to differ with you. Respecting fire and being afraid of it are two different things. I don't think that I would go into a structure with someone who was afraid. I don't think that I would go in with someone that was "overly zealous" either. Training is key! "We fear what we do not know". I know someone said that, I just don't know who. "We have nothing to fear except fear itself". (That's another good one.) Anyway.......don't be afraid, be happy. Take care and stay safe!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33
    Regardless, If Im not mistaken your dept is violating Child Labour Laws by letting you do this...Thatd sure be something Id want my dept to be known for
    I think you are right on with this one. Child Labor Laws are a wonderful thing. Without getting too deep into them....."You can not let your explorers/juniors do anything that would be considered to be dangerous". This would include not being in the "danger/collapse zone" around the structure (of course this includes actually going inside also). I also believe that this would include traffic control (very, very dangerous job). I would like ALL of our explorers to grow up to be firefighters. That is the whole point of the program in the first place. That is all I have to say about that!!! Take care and stay safe!!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

the times when my post is allowed on scene (which is rare as we're still building up trust from a fiasco a couple years ago) we are allowed to do just about everything except go inside. But since there are 30 or more firefighters on the departments we can respond to calls for we don't really need to do anything. If it's an actual structure fire and the Explorers are called to the scene then we help pull hose, hydrant connections, refill air bottles, hand out water(if it's a long fire) and pull tools off the truck. At no point during this are we allowed to be within 15-20ft of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by JRCHIEF22EXPORT
    I also always let our maskmen know how much air pressure they have in their air bottle before they leave the truck, cause they can't tell by themselves due to us having jumpseats on our truck, they never see the back of the bottle with the pressure gauge. http://exportvfd.tripod.com
    just wondering but shouldn't your bottles always be full??? and shouldnt they always be checked often to make sure they are full?? what good is a half full air bottle???

Quote Originally Posted by jaddie
    ( yes even live training fires are different because there mostly minus all household furnishings)

actually, we fill houses with old furniture when we do live burns so that the training is more realistic
    Last edited by concordfire; 04-29-2006 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hsvfdsta4
    They are allowed to run on and have PT contact on EMS calls, which I strongly disagree with.

whats wrong with that??? all of our exporers ride in the ambulance since 85% of calls are medical and all of the paramedics find the explorers as a great asset in the back of the ambulance!!!.....did you disagree with it when you were a junior???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by concordfire
    just wondering but shouldn't your bottles always be full??? and shouldnt they always be checked often to make sure they are full?? what good is a half full air bottle???
    Not to be a smart@$$, but how do you know the bottle is half full? That's alittle over-optimistic. Maybe its half empty...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Co11FireGal
    Our juniors (so far, I'm the only one) can go on calls after completeing Firemanship I. We can not respond on any department apparatus to an emergency, we have to respond in a PV or with another member. We may ride apparatus for parades, to training, and for special events. As for our duties on the fireground, our SOGs say, "Junior firefighters may, under the direct supervision of another fire department member, assist in performing traffic control, mop up operations, assisting in communications, search operations and logistical support." It kinda sucks that we don't get to do a whole lot, but it's state law. That's the way it is.

ok so you are telling me that they don't let you ride the truck to a call but they will let you drive your POV to a call? that is a first for me, it is more of a liability for you to drive your POV than it is to ride the truck. yall could get in big trouble for that one day, most of the departments will not let juniors drive to calls, when i was a junior i would have been kicked out if i would have driven to a call.

Forum Member

Becuse my Dept. is a rag tag bunch of under trained people(myself included) i can say that I at age 17 do everything that some one 34 does, intial attack, mop-up, pumps, long distance mutial aid calls, however the only thing that i can't do is drive a truck.
    i dont care how many wavers you have signed or how under trained the other firefighters are, your OSFM and DOI and ISO and, hell even NFPA and VFIS, if your redneck ***** knows what all of those are dont care how many wavers you signed either. the second you get a bug bite on one of those call there will be no insurence to cover you and your FD will most likely be removed completly. and i am not even going to go into child labor laws.

but i think that you are bull @$#%, in my own opinion

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pgfire3
    i dont care how many wavers you have signed or how under trained the other firefighters are, your OSFM and DOI and ISO and, hell even NFPA and VFIS, if your redneck ***** knows what all of those are dont care how many wavers you signed either. the second you get a bug bite on one of those call there will be no insurence to cover you and your FD will most likely be removed completly. and i am not even going to go into child labor laws.

but i think that you are bull @$#%, in my own opinion
    I guess everyone is entilted to there own opinion. No i will admit that i don't know what they are. I am just happy that there are people like you out there that are willing to help in change things like this.

Forum Member

I'm gonna have to agree with PGfire on this one, you are going to get SCREWED. You can't be involved in any interior attack...period. Support, exterior attack, sure, but you are NOT allowed in any IDLH atmosphere. If you do go in and you get hurt, your town's insurance company will nail you to the nearest wall. I'd cut that out quick.

Also, I've heard rumors that in NY State you can be 16 and be Firefighter 1. Is this just total crap or is there any truth? Because if that's true, I'm joining the department over the border...

Quote Originally Posted by concordfire
    And Im quite sure that 99.9% of SCBA in service today have a guage thats readable and in perfect view that yah dont need a junior to get yah to check the bottle for yah
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

and i dont understand why someone would put and scba back in the truck to be used if it wasn't full??? a half full or HALF EMPTY...LOL bottle is no good!!

Forum Member

I don't think Explorers should be doing more than toting tools up to where someone standing AWAY from the fire can get it and helping with rehab.
    If a kid gets hurt on a fire call,afterwards there's going to be so much "stuff"rolling downhill and engulfing the IC,engine officer and pretty much anyone that was there that it wouldn't be funny.
    Yes,I know the extra hands may be necessary at times but they should stay in support roles until they are 18 or 21(depending on your State or Commonwealth laws)and are legally able to decide for themselves to join the dpeartment as a full member.
    Learn by watching and as another poster said,your time will come soon enough for you to go in and see that what he said about low viz,heat and noise is really true.
    If anyone thinks that an underage Explorer who has all the same training that the"real"firefighters have should be allowed on an interior attack line,ask yourself,how would you explain it to YOUR Mom if YOU were the one injured or even killed?What would you say that would alleviate her grief?
    Last edited by doughesson; 05-03-2006 at 03:40 PM.

Forum Member

Sounds like someone in your chain of command needs to learn what the minimum distance for a collapse zone is.Hint:One and a half times the structure height.

Quote Originally Posted by tfexplorer923
    At no point during this are we allowed to be within 15-20ft of the house.

Forum Member

If some of you guys would have read my earlier posts The number of calls we get dispatched to are in all honetsy 99% Grass fires. Where is the "collapse zone" there?

There is another thing that everyone here continues to miss that is the fact that at best we have 4 people show up to a call. There is not nearly enough people to compltely stock our Iron. So every one is going to scream for mutail aid. haha, thats is over 45 mintues away from base, god only knows how far the call is from there.

This is going to sound arragont, stupid, and kind of cocky but when it comes down to it, i could careless if i knew i was going to be arrested when it was all said and done, I wouldn't let some one's house burn up with or without some one in it. I would go in regardless.

If some of you guys would have read my earlier posts The number of calls we get dispatched to are in all honetsy 99% Grass fires. Where is the "collapse zone" there?

There is another thing that everyone here continues to miss that is the fact that at best we have 4 people show up to a call. There is not nearly enough people to compltely stock our Iron. So every one is going to scream for mutail aid. haha, thats is over 45 mintues away from base, god only knows how far the call is from there.

This is going to sound arragont, stupid, and kind of cocky but when it comes down to it, i could careless if i knew i was going to be arrested when it was all said and done, I wouldn't let some one's house burn up with or without some one in it. I would go in regardless.
    Grass fires aren't the point...Who cares about them...The 1% of the time you are even in the collapse zone your breakin a s**t load of laws....You might not give a crap But I'm sure if your dept gets busted and charged and all that other good stuff...You'll regret that...Or better yet..You get injured...That will be s**t hittin the fan like nothing else....If your dept relies on you that much you guys really have issues and I especially feel bad for your dept and community..
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 05-03-2006 at 10:01 PM.

Ryan

Forum Member

We do and we will be the first to admitt it.

Forum Member

I quoted YOUR post where you said that you weren't allowed within 15-20 feet of a house.That doesn't sound much like a grass fire to me.
    Trees collapse when exposed to fire.Ever hear of a widowmaker in wildland firefighting class?
    You can still get killed at a grass fire.I took a firefighter survival and rescue class last spring and a wildfire class last fall and in both instances,there were numerous accounts of firefighters being killed during"simple and safe"grass fires.
    Your department sounds like it needs some serious adult supervision if they are putting minors in harm's way like that.This job is dangerous enough without those that who are supposed to know better doing stuff like that.

Thread Information