Thread: Company Dues

Forum Member

Question Company Dues

How many of you pay yearly dues to be a member of your volunteer fire department???? What is your opinion on this??

In my department we currently pay yearly dues of $10. It has been this way for over 75 years. The topic came up last night at a company meeting about changing to only paying dues to join (more for the paperwork than the revenue) and to not have yearly dues. Or the other thought was to let members with over 20 years be exempt. I personally have mixed feelings about this topic.

I'm curious about what other departments are doing and what the thought process is behind it.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Stay safe.
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

MembersZone Subscriber

As per our bylaws, we are supposed to pay $10 per year in dues, but every year someone makes a motion to drop them. This motion is quickly seconded and unanimously passed. I'm not sure who came up with the idea of charging dues for a volunteer organization, but it seems pretty silly to me. I guess if you really need them to cover variable, per-member costs, they make sense, but otherwise, I see dues as being paid with time, training, etc.

Default Dues

TCFD12,
    We have a small dues fee. However once you are a life member, you no longer are required to pay dues. One of the perks though. Life membership is obtained after 10 years of service and 40 years of age.

I don't know how they came up with the requirements.

Bucks,
    Love your suggestion. Gonna use it next year when the idea of dues comes up. Thanks. (Although as a life member I don't pay anymore)

IACOJ BOD

Damn

We get paid NZ$ 1.35 into our Brigade budget for every member..

Kinda nice to know what you are worth.

Forum Member

We pay a dollar a year. Some years it's worth it, some years it isn't

I don't know, but I suspect it may have something to do with our status as a volunteer organization; maybe we have to charge dues to be tax exempt? I know in some areas (I remember having to do this in Texas a few times) in order to drink alcohol you had to join the bar's "club" in order to legally drink, and the club's dues were a dollar. It could be something similar, you have to pay to join the "club" of firefighters in order to get some benefit.

Whether it's a dollar or 10, I can't imagine the revenue does anything other than boost the petty cash account, so there must be a legal reason for it.

Just my two cents (or dollars) worth...

We dropped our modest dues ($4/year, I think...) about a decade ago.

The dues originally supported some of the perks, I guess roughly analogous to the "house fund" in some paid units. They would go towards things like TV sets in the days before the VCR (when they became "Training Aids" ), or to make up shortfalls in the Soda & Candy jar.

I know in our case the dues had been the same since the 1950s -- when they were implemented they were probably like charging $40 today, so it was a good chunk of change back then. I suspect a lot of fire company dues were similiar -- they bought quite a bit fifty years ago, but never kept up with inflation to the point they were kinda irrelevant today.

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

My volly house charges $1 a year and when you become a life member, 20 yrs. of service you are exempt.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Our social body charges dues of $ 5.00 per month or 60 $ annually ............but to actually join to do your thang ......thats just an application .............and sometimes if there is enough money in the kitttly we will vote to drop the dues to 2 or 3 $ ...........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Keeping in mind that we have "two sides" to our operation... the "Engine Crew" (Fire Ops) and the "Social Quarters" (social club), everyone who joins the fire company pays the $8 initiation fee and $5 key fee for the social club. After that, regular social members pay $5 per year to have access to the Social Quarters (only Engine Crew has access to the Station itself). All Engine Crew, Trustees (who run the social club), and executive officers (President, Treasurer, etc.), along with Honorary Members (35 years or more of membership or at least 5 years serving as an officer of some kind) have their dues "covered" by the fire company (they pay nothing out-of-pocket).

MembersZone Subscriber

MMMMMM..... Social Club. No wonder Vollie houses are so popular in PA

We pay $2.00 a month, and it covers beverages after business meetings and cook outs after work details.

We had Dues years ago also, came from when we
    did not have enough money to cover pop, food etc
    after meetings. They have long been abolished
    since the time spent on calls, training and meetings is
    more than enough "Payment"

MembersZone Subscriber

Our FD sells subscriptions for fire service as a primary means of fundraising. The subscriptions are "memberships" in the organization. By being a member, you can run for the Board of Directors, vote in elections for Board members, etc.

To be a firefighter, you have to be a member of the fire district.

So, yes, it costs me $48 a year in dues--but it's not technically to be a firefighter, but to be a member of the fire district.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Our departments dues are a whopping $2.00 a year. It's not so much about raising money by charging dues, it's more about gauging a members continued interest in the company. Our dues are required to be paid at the first meeting of the new year. If the dues aren't paid by the April meeting then the member is re-evaluated for continued membership.
    David J. Marti, EMT-B/VFF-I
    Maryland City VFD
    Anne Arundel County Station 27

These are my opinions and mine only. They do not represent those of my employer or the Volunteer organization I belong to.

We have no dues. The way I see it, my dues are paid 100 times over by the hours I give for free. Donations from the community cover things like food and beverages after events or big calls.

We pay $5/year. We figure the wives deserve a Christmas party after dealing with us all year. All of the money goes toward the party. The leftover gets carried over or used at the body's discretion.

Forum Member

We have no dues. The department does get a a sizable amount in the form of "donations" if a truck needs a quart of oil, or the station needs a hammer..you get the idea. Its one of those things of who ever has it that can spare it does. Our membership is greatly varied. We have no "social club", no bar, or anything like that. You join the department for one reason, to contribute to the safety of the comunity. Well, theres more than that. We are a small department (25 FF's) and are a family.
    Gabriel
    FF/EMT
    Nevada, Missouri
    1*

BAIN FART!! I'm sorry. My last post said we paid $5/year and the money went for a Christmas party. A Christmas party that cheap and our wives would never let us out of the dog house. We pay
    $5/month. Sorry 'bout that.

We don't pay dues out of our own pockets per say. I think its supposed to be like $10 a year or something but it gets taken out of our personal fire dept account and pays for us all. This account pays for all our free drinks, TV, cable, and other member things. We make the money for the account by having 2 dinners a year serving roughly 900 people per dinner.
    **This space for rent**

Forum Member

Our By-Laws say we have dues but we have never collected them in the almost 6 years I have been a member. I suspect it has been even longer than that since we last collected our dues. The dues are $5 per year and one can be exempted from them in two ways, Making at least 50 points (one for each call, drill or meeting) or being made a veteran member (15 years of active service). Even if we collected them, not paying up does not take away membership only the right to vote.

Alan Shaw
    Belltown Fire Department
    Stamford, CT

Thread Information