Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default IACOJ Pipes and Drums?

I was wondering what is the possibility of the IACOJ sponsoring a Pipe and Drum Corps?
    Any self respecting firefighting organization should have one. Any Takers?
    DJW
    Member I.A.C.O.J.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear."
    -Ambrose Redmoon

At least a few Paddy's days I have joined my brothers in the "Chair Band" Quite simply, we turn over bar stools and carry them on our shoulders as the real pipers play "Scotland The Brave".

You'd be suprised how much a barstool resembles a bagpipe, especially late in the evening.
    Last edited by E229Lt; 06-12-2002 at 07:02 PM.

Default Second Chair?

I volunteer to play second chair in the chair band. I cant play the pipes, and I dont have enough rhythm to play the drums, but I can chuck a bar stool up on my shoulder and look good.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Originally posted by E ngine Lt:
    You'd be suprised how much a barstoll resembles a bagpipe, especially late in the evening.
    ...and after a pint or two.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Wink

I would like to march, even if my wife says I march to the sound of a different drum.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

MembersZone Subscriber

tanker5117

I love that image you posted. Since I have no musical talent, at least none that I have ever found, I will make sure the Pipe and Drum Corp has plenty of snacks too keep them going through all those long practice sessions.

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Splendid Idea!!!!
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

I have a kazoo!
    www.cafepress.com/firerev

I play tuba, bass guitar, and some drums. I played drums for my high schools winter marching drumline. I have played snare and tenors. Id be glad to play snare. Bm not in the IACOJ yet but i did fill out an explorer application. One more note... im not the best dummer in the world.

Smile Band dork here...

Not really...but I do play in my high school's marching and concert bands and andvanced wind ensemble. I, like HF&R, have submitted my IACOJ explorer application. I played drums in 6th and 7th grade. I could handle bass or snare.

When I got to high school, I picked up flute and clarinet. I'm best at flute. Say, a piccolo might sound okay with pipes and drums. If my application is accepted, maybe I could do that...

Cool

Well, I might not be old enough, or crusty enough, to be a full member of the I.A.C.O.J., but I've been playing drums for over half my life!! Finally, something I can actually say I know A LOT about on these forums!! I have no clue how to play the pipes, but I think, with the folks who have already expressed an interest, we could have a top notch drumline!!!

(It's a drummer thing, you wouldn't understand.... )
    Uh Oh, not again!!

A top notch drumline... sounds awesome to me. ill play snare, as long as we get marching snares, with KEVLAR marching heads!

Great!! That's at least 2 for the snare line!! Still looking for some tenor players and a bass drummer....any one interested? HF&R, I was thinking Premier pipe snares, but need to find something stronger than kevlar...I break those too easily!!!! Stay safe, ya'll...
    Uh Oh, not again!!

WHOOAAAAA LADS AND LASSES WE NEED TO STEADY THE LINE.

Ok, whilst a drummer with their little sticks and funny looking oversized cans are important we are in desperate need of the pipes. At last count I think we have one piper (me) and about 20 drummers. I graduated from the drum section of a pipe band almost 20 years ago (dad required of me to learn tempo etc.) I can tell you that Highland drums are vastly different from your standard drum line. First there are 3 drums in a drum line; the bass, the side, and the tenor. The standard line is about half of the number of pipers in the whole corps.

Which leads me into the cost of the whole undertaking. Your uniform alone can range from $1000.00 to $3000.00 depending on how you want to look and I always choose full winter dress uniform which will include an actual 9-yard kilt, sporran, dress jacket, spats, high Glengarry headgear, and all of the necessary attachments that complete a uniform.
    Pipes will easily have a hefty price tag on them for a good set of war pipes. My pipes for instance cost nearly $2500.00 dollars and were hand made in Scotland hand carved rose wood trimmed in sterling silver and ivory. The cost is worth it however when I open those bad stacks up and start the wailing (my neighbors will disagree however) but there is nothing more heart wrenching that the pipes.

I fully recommend if you are interested in learning to play any of the four instruments you find the closest band and see if they offer free lessons, most surprisingly enough do. Good luck and Godspeed
    I.A.C.O.J IRISH TATTOOED-HOOLIGAN

DETROIT FIRE FIGHTER AND PROUD!

Forum Member

Motown: what do your crackhouse neighbors think of your pipes and your kilt? I know I'm in dangerous territory here, but I couldn't resist.

GRIT,

Usually I am met with blank stares and snide comments, However they usually run into thier little crack houses when I unleash the MOTORCYCLE from the garage or when there is more than one piper going at it in the back yard. They generally leave me alone and have just come to accept the fact that there is a tattooed freak wailing away on a bag and some funny looking sticks nextdoor.

P.S. I do not wear the kilt on the bike I know you were wishing that I would.

Forum Member

That certainly paints a picture.

SEXY I KNOW, TRY TO CONTAIN YOURSELF.

Wink

Question: Why is it that you never see any ladies playing pipes or drums in these bands?

UMMMMM I see lasses playing in bands all the time, look real close I know its hard to tell everyone apart since we all wear the plaid skirts

Thread Information